people doing or have done PHYS1131 (1 Viewer)

TheKey

HSC
i have a midsession exam this saturday and i have read most of the book which should be in the exam, but now trying to do the last years midsession exam i realised that im a gonner. The questions in the exam seem fully general, your not really working things out for specific variables, ur rather just finding general expressions to solve in general...

those of you that have done this last year, can u tell me how this was marked exacly, were u given just a raw mark and dats the end of story, or was there any scalling, because if i did this exam as it is i would probably get somewhere in the ~35-40%.

any tips?

sunny

meh.
HSC
The class average last year in the midsession was about 27%.

wogboy

Terminator
HSC
Yeah I did Higher phys 1A and 1B (1131 & 1231) last year, and you do get scaled up for it (according to some bell curve distribution) but I wouldn't depend on scaling to do well, study as hard as you can for it because uni physics exams are traditionally hard, especially for 1st year students who have only finished the HSC. Here's some pointers:
- Do the questions/working out step by step, don't be tempted to jump huge steps chances are you'll make a mistake.
- Keep everything in algebraic/surd form until the end of the question where a numerical answer is required. This will minimise any rounding errors which may see you lose half marks here and there.
- Draw clear diagrams to help you with the questions.
- Try to not to waste the paper where you write your answers with scribbles and stuff, the writing space those tight asses give you is tiny compared to what you need (for me anyway). I had to always call for extra sheets (on top of the "additional" writing section)
- Most importantly KNOW your physics (not just the formulae but also how to apply them to a range of scenarios). Ask somebody if there's stuff you don't understand.

Good luck.

Last edited:

teh winnar!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!
Originally posted by TheKey
i have a midsession exam this saturday and i have read most of the book which should be in the exam, but now trying to do the last years midsession exam i realised that im a gonner. The questions in the exam seem fully general, your not really working things out for specific variables, ur rather just finding general expressions to solve in general...

those of you that have done this last year, can u tell me how this was marked exacly, were u given just a raw mark and dats the end of story, or was there any scalling, because if i did this exam as it is i would probably get somewhere in the ~35-40%.

any tips?
WHERE'S THAT HELP?!!??!?!?!?! URL URL PLEAXE I'M DYING LIKE CAIN OR ABEL

WHICHEVAR

TheKey

HSC
Originally posted by sunny
The class average last year in the midsession was about 27%.
lol then my 35-40% is actually above average, but in the end 27% would have been scaled to ~40-50%, it would look bad if more than 50% people failed...

Originally posted by wogboy
Here's some pointers:
- Do the questions/working out step by step, don't be tempted to jump huge steps chances are you'll make a mistake.
- Keep everything in algebraic/surd form until the end of the question where a numerical answer is required. This will minimise any rounding errors which may see you lose half marks here and there.
- Draw clear diagrams to help you with the questions.
- Try to not to waste the paper where you write your answers with scribbles and stuff, the writing space those tight asses give you is tiny compared to what you need (for me anyway). I had to always call for extra sheets (on top of the "additional" writing section)
- Most importantly KNOW your physics (not just the formulae but also how to apply them to a range of scenarios). Ask somebody if there's stuff you don't understand.

Good luck.
thx dude, il try and follow that outline.

As how marking goes, do they give 1/2 marks for 'thinking along the right lines'? Or do they look down on you and give nothing. if thats the case id rather concentrate on getting 3-4 questions fully and not bother with the 2 i think i cant do at all.

kaseita

u won't get half marks, but u should get part marks if your going down the right track - not for thinking along the right lines :p.

if you can do the tut questions, you'll be fine for the test.

sunny

meh.
HSC
lol then my 35-40% is actually above average, but in the end 27% would have been scaled to ~40-50%, it would look bad if more than 50% people failed...
Physics originally required people to pass every component of the course in order to pass the subject.

After that first midsession, so many people would have already failed PHYS1131, Richard changed the rules so that as long as your total accumulated mark was a pass you can pass the course. Not sure if that still stands though.

TheKey

HSC
i forget what subject i heard this in, but we were told as long as your final mark was >50% and ur final exam was >50% you have passed the subject.

Do u remember what the average was for the finals? Also we were told this exam is optional, if we stuff it up theres an additional exam we can do, socalled 'alternative' exam which is on the same day as the end of session exam. If we do well in this one then u only have to attend the end of session exam, unless u think u can get a better mark in this 'alternative' than in ur mid session. Was it the same for u guys?

And Sunny mind telling me how u went in PHYS1131 and then what u ended up with after scaling? Like i can see myself getting 18-9/20 for labs, and raw mark for exams of ~50%..so after scaling what kinda mark can i expect for this subject.

sunny

meh.
HSC
i forget what subject i heard this in, but we were told as long as your final mark was >50% and ur final exam was >50% you have passed the subject.
A fair few subjects work like that.

Do u remember what the average was for the finals?
Nope sorry, you usually don't even see your final paper. As soon as the finals are finished, its holidays, and marks are emailed/released online.

Also we were told this exam is optional, if we stuff it up theres an additional exam we can do, socalled 'alternative' exam which is on the same day as the end of session exam. If we do well in this one then u only have to attend the end of session exam, unless u think u can get a better mark in this 'alternative' than in ur mid session. Was it the same for u guys?
Yes it was called test R1. But do you want to take the risk? Consider:
- Study for the midsession now, when you have less things to study for
- Not study for this midsession now, but you'll be studying BOTH physics topics as well as other subjects. Can you redo all these early topics in the first half of the semester in the final exam? Can you do well in both topics? Will a mediocre mark in the final and R1 be enough? Or should you just try and do really well in one?
- What if you stuff up the R1 paper in the final? Having this midsession as a safety net is a better idea.

And Sunny mind telling me how u went in PHYS1131 and then what u ended up with after scaling? Like i can see myself getting 18-9/20 for labs, and raw mark for exams of ~50%..so after scaling what kinda mark can i expect for this subject.
My mark in the midsession was 38% (which Richard Newbury told me was actually decent) I think from memory, the class averaged 27% and ranged from 3% to 98%. I didn't do test R1.

During the final I found the final paper relatively easy compared to the midsession, and I knew that I had already passed (I only needed 25% or so in the final to meet the overall pass criteria), so I didn't study for or attempt paper R1.

PHYS1131 was my worst mark, in the end it was 63% (labs almost full marks, 38% for the midsession, no idea for the final). I was actually expecting discrete to be my worst subject, but seeing the situation I was quite relieved with passing PHYS1131.

TheKey

HSC
ok cool, thx alot for all that very much appreciated :)

btw i was never gonna not attempt the saturday exam, i really want to get it over with, i would hate to do 2 physics exams in 1 day, i cant concentrate that long. Il ask tomrrow about this 'passing' criteria for physics just incase, I dont want any nasty suprises later.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Originally posted by TheKey
btw i was never gonna not attempt the saturday exam, i really want to get it over with, i would hate to do 2 physics exams in 1 day
You have two physics exams on saturday? :confused:

TheKey

HSC
oh lol no :), i meant i can do this one this saturday (just the 1 midsession exam) and than just do the end of session exam whenever that comes, few months away i guess, like what u did.

or i can wait till finals, and then at the finals i will have to do BOTH the end of session exam AND that alternative mid session exam, and i know i cant concentrate enough to do well in both the final and that 1R exam...

so failing this one this saturday is not an option.

TheKey

HSC
i think so, i belive he once said in lecture if u got soccer or whatever reason why u can come u must sit for the 1R exa,..but u should prolly email him just incase.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)