People that mould. (1 Viewer)

themonalisa

HSC
So im beginning law school this year, and have wanted to do law since year 10 (when my teen girl mind settled and finally realised what she wanted to do in life). In senior i took up humanities/english related subjects so I game myself the best chance of proving my communication skills.

But ive come to realise through orientation week, that a bunch of previously medicine aspiring students in my school have come to law school.

What confuses me is why such a 360 degree change in their career field?

If they didnt get the marks to do medicine - but still really want to do it - why dont they just do science adn give the gamsat test?

Are they doing law for the status and money?

something they could achieve in medicine as well surely...

If not - if their doing law as an easy way to status and money - then maybe their only passion in life is status and money?

I only feel angry for those people that actually wanted to get into law - but got kicked out by these med failures.

What's your opinion on this>?

madsam

God among men
HSC
So basically what you're saying is, the people who have the desire (but not ability) should be chosen over those who have the ability (but not necessarily desire)?

themonalisa

HSC
yes and no - the people that have the desire also had the marks to get into law - but because all these other students didnt get into med - but got a high exit score got into law - pushing the cut offs up as well.

danal353

HSC
it's stupid to decide to do law just because you couldn't get into medicine. Unless the person genuinely had no preference towards what they wanted to do and basically just chose the next hardest course to get into.

themonalisa

HSC
but are they right to just do the next hardest thing? dont they have a responsibility to find out what they want to do?

flamearrows

come on die young
HSC
So im beginning law school this year, and have wanted to do law since year 10 (when my teen girl mind settled and finally realised what she wanted to do in life). In senior i took up humanities/english related subjects so I game myself the best chance of proving my communication skills.

But ive come to realise through orientation week, that a bunch of previously medicine aspiring students in my school have come to law school.

What confuses me is why such a 360 degree change in their career field?

If they didnt get the marks to do medicine - but still really want to do it - why dont they just do science adn give the gamsat test?

If not - if their doing law as an easy way to status and money - then maybe their only passion in life is status and money?

I only feel angry for those people that actually wanted to get into law - but got kicked out by these med failures.

First, a 360 degree change would be no change at all?

Second, what is wrong with wanting status and money? I'm not at university to help the needy or for the pure joy of doing law.

themonalisa said:
but are they right to just do the next hardest thing? dont they have a responsibility to find out what they want to do?
Why would they have a responsibility? These people don't owe you or any other student a single thing.

omgd.

HSC
N/A
I guess the reality of it is that some people are just motivated by money and prestige. the same way many people go into fields such as mining just to make cash quickly.

I have a friend whose family struggled her whole life to make ends meet. Neither of her parents went to Uni. And because she didnt want to experience what they did shes doing a course that ensures she will make A LOT of money. Different people are motivated by different things. However, at teh end of the day, if they don't like law, they're bound to fail or drop out.

The problem is with law all you need is ATAR. If there was another requirement like external exam ( ie: umat - ish ) or a portfolio ( like design schools ) there's no way to really test whether or not a person is passionate about law.

flamearrows

come on die young
HSC
The problem is with law all you need is ATAR. If there was another requirement like external exam ( ie: umat - ish ) or a portfolio ( like design schools ) there's no way to really test whether or not a person is passionate about law.
Yes - the point is, there's no requirement to be passionate about law. The health sciences are a special case because of the responsibilities they entail. No one gets uppity about making sure mathematics students really love math. Why do law students need anything extra?

omgd.

HSC
N/A
Yes - the point is, there's no requirement to be passionate about law. The health sciences are a special case because of the responsibilities they entail. No one gets uppity about making sure mathematics students really love math. Why do law students need anything extra?
Im not saying that they do. Im speaking from the OP's perspective. Theyre talking about distinguishing between those who have the desire with those who just have the ability but lack the desire. There is no way to distinguish between the two since there is no other prequisite to set them apart.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I used to be a bit frustrated by this but rest assured the first people to drop out are those who have no interest, desire or motivation other than money, prestige or that fact that it is in there opinion 'the next best course down from medicine'.

bored at work

HSC
I used to be a bit frustrated by this but rest assured the first people to drop out are those who have no interest, desire or motivation other than money, prestige or that fact that it is in there opinion 'the next best course down from medicine'.
Or those people go on to work in top tier firms. Motivation can come in many forms.

twistedtigers

HSC
N/A
If all universities had a threshhold requirement that prospective students had to have a burning desire to study the degree they'd enrolled in, there would be a lot of vacant places and bankrupt universities.

If you've got the brains to do the course you've enrolled in, can perform the work proficiently and don't contemplate suicide at the thought of doing it all day, every day when you graduate, where's the problem?

Personally, once I graduate I shall be making the most of every ounce of prestidge I can wring from the fact I'll be a lawyer. Hopefully, it will take away some of the pain caused by the realisation that my wages probably won't be anywhere near as much as the general public think it is....

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Or those people go on to work in top tier firms. Motivation can come in many forms.
Of course they can, I tend to find though that especially with undergraduate law being 5 years its such a long and tendious journey to get a high paying job that a lot of those doing it for that reason drop out. There are quicker and easier ways to make money.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad

Fark mate no duh they're doing it for status and money, or at least they thought they'll find it in law.

My thought is good on them. Not everyone wants to be a tree hugger chasing their dreams and saving the world. Some people actually have to earn a living.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
Of course they can, I tend to find though that especially with undergraduate law being 5 years its such a long and tendious journey to get a high paying job that a lot of those doing it for that reason drop out. There are quicker and easier ways to make money.
many people say this, but its a very short-sighted view to have. in the short term u may be earning money while ur friends are at uni slugging away at the piles of work. but think about what will happen when you are older.
e.g. its just like some1 who quits school in year 10 to work/join the army etc, they make money for 7 years while some1 would be studying that whole time. they would be at least 250k (provided they earn at least 30k a year) compared to their uni counterpart. but in the long run, what real qualifications would they have? they have no real scope to earn that much more, while some1 with a law degree could make back the 250k difference in less than a year later on in their career.

i also can think of plenty of sports people who start earning the big bucks from a very early age but as soon as that peak in their career is over and they are past their 40s and their career earnings have been drained they live very average lives with very average jobs.

Misyndo

HSC
many people say this, but its a very short-sighted view to have. in the short term u may be earning money while ur friends are at uni slugging away at the piles of work. but think about what will happen when you are older.
e.g. its just like some1 who quits school in year 10 to work/join the army etc, they make money for 7 years while some1 would be studying that whole time. they would be at least 250k (provided they earn at least 30k a year) compared to their uni counterpart. but in the long run, what real qualifications would they have? they have no real scope to earn that much more, while some1 with a law degree could make back the 250k difference in less than a year later on in their career.

i also can think of plenty of sports people who start earning the big bucks from a very early age but as soon as that peak in their career is over and they are past their 40s and their career earnings have been drained they live very average lives with very average jobs.
Alternatively, if you're smart/talented you could use that money to invest in a business etc and be set for life.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
Alternatively, if you're smart/talented you could use that money to invest in a business etc and be set for life.
yeh thats just like saying, "alternatively, if you're lucky you could buy a lottery ticket and be set for life." how the hell is some who has no education in finance/commerce/economics going to make an informed decision about an investment and expect to be "set for life". its like me saying i dont need to go to med school to do a heart transplant. if that is ur idea of making it big, i dont see y u are doing the HSC and have an ATAR aim of 98.5. obviously u've never looked into this area before.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)