People who continue to write after time's up. (1 Viewer)

BackCountrySnow

HSC
After 'Pens Down' is announced after an exam there are always people who continue to write, I'm not talking about people who write for an extra 10 secs or anything, i mean the people who continue to write until the papers are being collected and they have to be told to stop so their paper can be handed in.

What does your school do about this? Mine doesn't do anything :s
It doesn't really bother me that much but it's still an unfair advantage.

Also, what will happen to people who do that in the externals??
I can imagine people in panic can freak out and just spill out a conclusion that takes them 15 secs to write, would this be tolerated?

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
After 'Pens Down' is announced after an exam there are always people who continue to write, I'm not talking about people who write for an extra 10 secs or anything, i mean the people who continue to write until the papers are being collected and they have to be told to stop so their paper can be handed in.

I can imagine people in panic can freak out and just spill out a conclusion that takes them 15 secs to write, would this be tolerated?
It really annoys me.
The best apart my exam skills, is my time allowance.
I organise my time so i have about 10 minutes left to quickly check up everything.

In english the other day this guy at my school (maTThew90) on BoS wrote until we'll after they said pens down.

I just wanted to through something at him!!

moz324

HSC
BackCountrySnow said:

my school doesnt do anything either. they just go around and collect the papers even if they are writing, and if they are writing when they come to collect them, the teachers just wait until they are finished the question. its an unfair advantage, they should have better time management in the exam.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
risole91 said:
It really annoys me.
The best apart my exam skills, is my time allowance.
I organise my time so i have about 10 minutes left to quickly check up everything.

In english the other day this guy at my school (maTThew90) on BoS wrote until we'll after they said pens down.

I just wanted to through something at him!!
throw the kid an e-punch, that'll show him not to write well after pens down. lol.
I'm just worried coz some of my friends occasionally do it and if they do it in the externals they could get fucked on.

I mean, an extra minute in a 2-3 hour exam won't do much to improve someone's marks that much, but yeah, when people write ages after pens down I kinda feel they're getting an unfair advantage.

*Squid*

HSC
our skool is actually pretty good with it!! no 1 really trys 2 though i suppose!!! - da teachers r normally quite tough when it comes to it though!

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
throw the kid an e-punch, that'll show him not to write well after pens down. lol.
I'm just worried coz some of my friends occasionally do it and if they do it in the externals they could get fucked on.

I mean, an extra minute in a 2-3 hour exam won't do much to improve someone's marks that much, but yeah, when people write ages after pens down I kinda feel they're getting an unfair advantage.
I agree,
Generally supervisors will tell you 1 minute left ( they do at my school )

if i'm stuck writing an essay, i finish the paragraph i'm on and start my conclusion.

It would suck to be failed because of that

*Squid*

HSC
yeah our teachers give us the "last 5mins" call. but they r good 4 all da exams, they dont let ppl write 4 extra time!

KhyryKay

HSC
my school gives the "5 mintues left" then "one mintue left" thing.

if your caught writing after that they take marks off the question your doing.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
KhyryKay said:
my school gives the "5 mintues left" then "one mintue left" thing.

if your caught writing after that they take marks off the question your doing.
Most of the time we get that too.
Sometimes it's just the "one minute to go"
sometimes we get nothing until "AND PENS DOWN.."

some random teacher once gave the "three and a half minutes to go.."
lol, wtf??

But that's good, deducting marks if you're caught writing after it.

.x.Cookie.x.

HSC
Most kids at my school finish a two hour exam within an hour. I remember last year for our exit exam in modern history the other kid had finished writing her 3 essays and i was still on my first.

And at an maths exam, we were allowed 40 minutes for this exam and the supervisor let them write for atleast another 20 minutes.

I dislike it very much when people are given extra time or when kids rush straight through the exam and still have a good 1-1/2 hour left.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
.x.Cookie.x. said:
Most kids at my school finish a two hour exam within an hour. I remember last year for our exit exam in modern history the other kid had finished writing her 3 essays and i was still on my first.

And at an maths exam, we were allowed 40 minutes for this exam and the supervisor let them write for atleast another 20 minutes.

I dislike it very much when people are given extra time or when kids rush straight through the exam and still have a good 1-1/2 hour left.
lol, why?

And if you finish an exam with an hour to go, chances are you haven't written enough.

Last edited:

Taskan

HSC
i remember in yr 9.... a long time ago, but anyway, they called pens down, and the guy a row across from me just kept writing, so a teacher comes up and takes the pen out of his hand, as soon as she started walking away, he picked up his pen and started writing again, lol.

though i agree, our school will spot anyone who keeps writing after pens down that then will tell them to put their pen down. its a good idea, because they almost announce it from the front, so everyone turns and looks at whoever they call out to.

.x.Cookie.x.

HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
lol, why?

And if you finish an exam with an hour to go, chances are you haven't written enough.
I don't know. It's just annoying. And half of the time they get pretty good results anyway. Like with that first one i was talking 'bout who had wrote her 3 essays and i hadn't finished my first... her three were on one piece of paper. It's like they're not even trying. They could atleast sit there and go over it a few times. Just annoys me.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
Taskan said:
though i agree, our school will spot anyone who keeps writing after pens down that then will tell them to put their pen down. its a good idea, because they almost announce it from the front, so everyone turns and looks at whoever they call out to.
wouldn't work at my school, some kids have no shame...
the only thing that would stop them writing is the possibility of losing marks.

KnifeySpoony

HSC
Last year during trial SC exams, aparrently my friend was "writing his name" after pens down, they thought he was still writing and im pretty sure he got his paper ripped up.
GG.

dpospination

HSC
in external BOS exams, one can have their paper ripped up if they continue to write after pens down, so u can get a straight zero...

Muz4PM

HSC
The exam folk at my school don't yell out the "ten minutes" five minutes" warnings. I have generally finished most of my exams with about fifteen minutes to go, then I use the remaining time to check what I said was co-herent and replace any unledgeable words. I was doing that when they said pens down, so I finished the word I was on. I expected they would have warned us of the time, but never mind.

I am known, on occasion to be one of the ones writting after pens down in other exams. I however attempt to just finish the sentence I am on, so I don't get too much of an advantage. It annoys me when people write after the alotted time, so I try and finish it off as quickly as possible.

P

pLuvia

BackCountrySnow said:

I'm not sure what happens in the HSC because none of my fellow students did that, but in uni if you do that, you automatically get zero no questions asked

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)