People who do their HSC over more than one year (1 Viewer)

conch575

HSC
They always seem to get higher UAI's/better test results, is this always the case? Can *anyone* do this? It seems like they get better marks, so is this fair to the rest of us, doing it all at once?

Without Wings

Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
It is called Pathways.

Board of Studies said:
What is meant by HSC "Pathways"?
The HSC can be accumulated over a period of five years from the completion of the first HSC course. This allows for flexible study arrangements and is often referred to by the term "Pathways". Pathways provisions also include: being able to repeat one or more HSC courses; acceleration, which allows more able students to progress through their study requirements at a faster rate; recognition of prior learning, whereby you may be granted credit transfer towards your HSC, or advanced standing in a course; and even part-time traineeships.
HSC and beyond (including UAI) - Board of Studies NSW

The reasoning for doing it varies between individuals. It may be because they wish to accelerate a subject or multiple subjects or they may feel they cannot focus on 10 units in one year and would rather do it over multiple years (eg: sporting/music commitments, health issues etc) or many other reasons.

As to whether it is 'fair' - anyone has the option of doing it.

Last edited:

fetiche

HSC
It would be pretty sad if they didn't perform better, after all they are doing less units throughout the year .

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I believe if they do not do 10 units in one year the cannot get an ATAR. Test results, maybe. ATAR? Depends if they do at least 10 units in a year.

Without Wings

Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
I believe if they do not do 10 units in one year the cannot get an ATAR. Test results, maybe. ATAR? Depends if they do at least 10 units in a year.
No, this is not correct. You can accumulate courses for up to 5 years and you will receive an ATAR when you are first eligible. So for example a student may complete 2 units in one year and 8 units the next year, as long as they meet all the other eligibility requirements for an ATAR they will be eligible to receive it.

UAC said:
When is my ATAR calculated?
You will receive an ATAR the first year you satisfy the eligibility requirements.
If you complete additional courses or repeat courses you have completed,
your ATAR will be recalculated. Your most recent ATAR is the one used for
selection purposes.
UAC said:
Can I accumulate my courses?
Yes, you can accumulate courses over a period of up to five years
http://www.uac.edu.au/documents/atar/ATAR-FAQs.pdf

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Hmm, that's odd - I could've sworn I read somewhere here that you needed 10 units in a year. Oh well, stupid me for believing that, I suppose.

Without Wings

Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
Hmm, that's odd - I could've sworn I read somewhere here that you needed 10 units in a year. Oh well, stupid me for believing that, I suppose.
You might have, someone who misunderstood could have posted it. That's why I always try to quote a reliable source so people can see that it is accurate, not just 'what some person on the internet said'. ;)

darkcounty

thas unaustralian... hic
HSC
It is fair because we all have the option to do so.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
^ depending on your school, resources of the school, teachers and timetabling

grubz

HSC
Whats your source in your claim that such students get higher ATARs on average?

HSC
At my school, even if you accelerate, you still have to do 10 units in the final year. :|.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Unless of course you complain to them and go Board of Studies rulings on them =P

Brontecat

HSC
It's not always that easy though, my school does it (Christian School), it wasn't exactly pathways, but it worked as follows:

Year 11 & Year 12 - Biology (4 Units)
Year 11 & Year 12 - Mathematics (4 Units)
Year 11 (distance ed) - Business Studies (2 Units)
Year 11 (distance ed) - Information Processes and Technology (IPT) (2 Units)
Year 11 - SOR II (2 Units)
For the year 11 & 12 subjects I had 10 lessons per week and we did the HSC starting Term 1, so it was over three terms, for everything else i was supposed to have 5 lessons per week, in reality my timetable left me at minus 1-2 periods per week.
Year 11 & 12 subs counted for four units as its two years worth of the work, which meant that I had the equivalent of 14 units. Doing last year at school was extremely hard, not only did I have a loading of 14 Units (yes, I had to put in double the work at home and at school for the 4Unit subs), but I also had 2 distance education subjects. Basically my distance education teachers had no idea I was even doing my HSC and had to actually ask where my work was at HSC time despite having been told earlier. This was very much the manner throughout the entire year, whether I was having trials or anything else going on at school, it really didn't matter there was absolutely no flexibility. The only subject that did allow for flexibility was SOR II where I ended up doing only an assessment for the Ancient Religions topic.

Year 11 & 12 - Advanced English
Year 12 - IPT
Year 12 - Business Studies
Year 12 - SOR II

Basically this year is going to be extremely easy, not only do I have four subjects (10 Units) but also an additional 10 studies, which will make a massive difference to my performance this year, with a whole lot of extra time to study and finish assessments. I've also learnt a lot from doing HSC, particularly from my poor mathematics result (69) and from my happier biology result (82). Which reminds me of another negative, last year we didn't begin HSC biology until term 3, so it was a massive cram, which sort of made me feel better that I could achieve that with cramming and helped me a lot in preparing for other assessments i've had since then.

So that's my story of doing HSC over more than one year :)

Brontecat

HSC
They always seem to get higher UAI's/better test results, is this always the case? Can *anyone* do this? It seems like they get better marks, so is this fair to the rest of us, doing it all at once?
Oh and on the original OPs topic lol, i don't think that's always the case, it's the same as anyone else doing their HSC normally - it's based more on individual motivation and effort, not really on the model, which so far I have found pretty difficult... although, maybe after this year i'll have a different perspective after the reduced loading :)

meliebot

HSC
My school also does HSC over two years (11 and 12) - mainly, I've been told, because we're a small school and can't afford to run every subject every year considering that only one or two people might do a subject in one year. I think there's only around 70 people in year 11 and 12.

Personally, I think its both easier and harder. We do 3 subjects each year (6 over 2 years) but so the Preliminary and HSC courses for those 3 subjects in the same year. (end of term 4 and term 1 is prelim, terms 2 and 3 are HSC). This means you technically have to really focus on the same three subjects in real depth for the whole year without much variety.
I've also been told that because of the way we do it, we have to fit a lot more into a shorter period of time. In prelim we tend to have to hand in an assessment for every subject each 2 weeks or so.
But for me personally, I find it a better way. I'm a person that works better when focussing on the same subject for a longer time, rather than jumping between subjects and mindsets 6 times or more a day.
It really depends how you learn.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)