Performance IP: Progress? (1 Viewer)

aLeeOh!

about to explode
HSC
Originally posted by dramaticfanatic
Hey Alex and Birdy, its me Kayla - another CPAHS Student. For those wondering Im doing Abigail Williams from the crucible for my monologue. Actually, I just finished memorising it for the half yearlies Yay!!!... Question: would anyone know where to find a 17th century British Accent, I have makeshift one for my half yearlies, but I really need to find an actual one soon. I've tried NIDA and Universities and the State Library and the only British accents they have on tape are more contemporary ones - Anyone got any ideas for films I could watch to find one??
i did abigail williams for an assessment last year..
i tried to copy the accent from the movie "the crucible" with wionna rhyder-how the heck do you spell her last name?!
yeh, the accent's in there, but good luck trying to get it! because i didnt experiment with my voice enough, it was too hard for me to not only actually get the voice, but sustain it whilst performing.pm me if you need any help.. dont know how much help i'd be, but i could lend you ideas and stuff.....

by the way, is CPAHS campbelltown performing arts high?

dramaticfanatic

Originally posted by grk_styl
um...watch The Crucible...u know the one with that famous chick that plays Abigail. lol That is one of the best plays i have ever read.
Watched the movie, don't want to take on that interpretation of the character for my monologue and the accents used there are American which is historically inaccurate as the American accent wasn't developed at that stage - but thank you anyway.

dramaticfanatic

Originally posted by aLeeOh!
i did abigail williams for an assessment last year..
i tried to copy the accent from the movie "the crucible" with wionna rhyder-how the heck do you spell her last name?!
yeh, the accent's in there, but good luck trying to get it! because i didnt experiment with my voice enough, it was too hard for me to not only actually get the voice, but sustain it whilst performing.pm me if you need any help.. dont know how much help i'd be, but i could lend you ideas and stuff.....

by the way, is CPAHS campbelltown performing arts high?
Thanks! Yeah...I noticed that when doing my half yeary, I don't think I had my accent sustained well enough either..but I don't want to copy Winona's accent because its still very American but Abigail arrived from Britain so her accent would actually have been British. So Im trying to locate movies that would have similar accents and then hopefully use the best one to land my accent and get it down.

TheBirdMustFly

Writer for hire!
HSC
I did a Southern American accent, and I think I held it together but some accents I find really tricky and turn from Scottish to Irish to...Indian, just practice lots!

nattyb

HSC
thanks but i dont think ill cut people off, i looked at my e-mails this morning and i couldnt figure out why im only getting threads from drama classes, then dumb blond me realised i hadnt entered the others, HOLIDAYS YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HAVE A GOOD EASTER PEOPLE!!!!!!!! DONT EAT TOO MUCH CHOCOLATE

Fire_Hydra

ain't no other
HSC
Originally posted by nattyb
thanks but i dont think ill cut people off, i looked at my e-mails this morning and i couldnt figure out why im only getting threads from drama classes, then dumb blond me realised i hadnt entered the others, HOLIDAYS YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HAVE A GOOD EASTER PEOPLE!!!!!!!! DONT EAT TOO MUCH CHOCOLATE

TOO MUCH CHOCOLATE?!!! - IS THERE SUCH A THING?!
:p

As for accents - i can do a pretty convinceing American and English one - but my irish sounds like stoned scottish with a lisp and my indian sounds like i have the hicc-ups.........oh well............keep trying.....

aLeeOh!

about to explode
HSC
haha.. accents are such funny things...i always tend to feel pretty foolish when attempting to sustain one because usually, im never able to GET it in the first place!its just one of tose things you have to constantly keep reminding yourself to do... just like movement. if you remember to move this way , or that way.. in a certain way, it'll just came naturally to you when you perform. practice makes perfect! - so very cliched i know, but so very true.!
you know, ive got my monologue up to approx 4mins. but now i need more! when i performed at an assembly it was so much fun anf i loved it.... however, i tend to get bored of things very very easily... and i have a feeling that by the time i have to perform for the markers, i'll be like "noooooooo. not again......!!!!"

Fire_Hydra

ain't no other
HSC
ARE U KIDDING?!?!?!?!

i'd love to be at the stage of performing .....no one at my school is......

:eek:

kalinda

HSC
i love muckin with accents
and then hearing your friends try to also have an accent
and then all of you change from having a british to a irish then who the hell know!!

*Flutterby*

we're performng at my skool too i got 43/50 for my monologue performance assessment task which was the highest mark by 5 so im stoked lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)