performance pieces for HSC, which songs are the best ? (1 Viewer)

calvintanikaya

HSC
Hey guys,

I'm doing music 1 now. I haven't decided yet what songs I'm gonna play. I have too many options. From your opinion, which top 4 songs from the list below do you think would be the best in the HSC ?

- Autumn Leaves
- Fly Me To The Moon
- This Love by Maroon 5
- Can't Help Falling In Love
- Bengawan Solo (music for culture)
- L.O.V.E
- Somewhere Over The Rainbow
- I Will Survive by Gloria Gaynor
- The Prayer
- My own composition which also would be handed in for the HSC (full of expressive techniques)

Those songs above are played in a similar style, jazz-pop genre. Even "Bengawan Solo" (music for culture), would be played in jazz-pop genre as well. The rest are played in different style: This Love, L.O.V.E, and I Will Survive.

Will my mark be deducted if i play 4 songs in a same style, but the songs are actually really amusing the audience and full of techniques.
So, what do you guys think ?

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
which song do you think you'll show off what you can do in more?

What instrument?

its still very early days. I gather these are you favourite. Practice all of these, and you will soon feel what is appropriate for you, or at least narrow it down for your teacher and peers to judge.

It'd be incredibly good if you had a range of genres, but if you say that they are full of techniques, make sure you are not repeating your techniques, rather showing a large range.

Other than that, go with your gut feeling, because you probably pride yourself in playing a song that was fairly expressive and full of techniques.

calvintanikaya

HSC
My instrument is piano.

Actually, I can't read score. I'm using my listening skill to play a song. I listen to it, then I improvise it. Anyway, even though I can't read score, my last performance result is not that bad. In the exam, I got 95 ( I play Autumn Leaves ). But in the HSC, would that be a benefit or even a lose out ?

Which songs are better to be played:
- a song that has good notation, sounds pleasant, and technique is okay
OR
- a song that doesn't sound good as the first one, but has better technique ?

Because i heard that the marker prefers to give better mark to an entertaining performance (which means sounds pleasant)?

The techniques from those songs are mostly the same. So what should I do ?

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
calvintanikaya said:
My instrument is piano.

Actually, I can't read score. I'm using my listening skill to play a song. I listen to it, then I improvise it. Anyway, even though I can't read score, my last performance result is not that bad. In the exam, I got 95 ( I play Autumn Leaves ). But in the HSC, would that be a benefit or even a lose out ?

Which songs are better to be played:
- a song that has good notation, sounds pleasant, and technique is okay
OR
- a song that doesn't sound good as the first one, but has better technique ?

Because i heard that the marker prefers to give better mark to an entertaining performance (which means sounds pleasant)?

The techniques from those songs are mostly the same. So what should I do ?
if techniques are the same, then of course, entertainment would give you the kick

i mean, technical skill isnt that huge as you may think, you want to show off these techniques, but you want to do it well and entertainingly. That's how people in music 2 can get away with getting full marks even though they made one or two small technical mistakes.

you two choices, I would have to vote the first one :)

szdg

Platinum Member
HSC
All songs are good choices for HSC i think, but as u say, i think have some different styles will be better than just one. Because that just shows the marker that u can do the variety styles of music. But of coarse u wont be mark down for not doing it, it is just better.

In choosing these pieces, u need to, as "ur_inner_child" said, show off what u can do. Somthing that is challenging but not to a level that u cant handle it.

I think u should be finalizing what you are doing for the HSC in the next month, if not the next few weeks. Because it takes time to perfect a song

~good luck in it

HSC
consider something you can do under pressure. You don't want to stress out last minute and make a massive boo-boo becuase its too difficult. HSC markers usually look for accuracy, techniques according to level of difficulty, and doing an ensemble will be a bonus to show you can accompany others. But don't worry, you still have plenty of time to practice until your fingers fall off ^__^

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
if you're a lead guitarist consider playing Joe Satriani music :p

JhK89

HSC
if i were u try to do a combination like a variation of music~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)