Permanent Resident not Eligible for Hecs/CSP? (1 Viewer)

Kmahal1990

HSC
Hey guys, i'm a permanent resident of Australia....been here for 13 years but never really thought about becoming Australian Citizen since it's never made a difference. I just finished high school, and planning to enter University and i found some unsettling information. The CSP was ammended in 2005, and this is what it says:

"Under the new legislation, if you are an APRV holder (excluding Humanitarian visa holders) or a New Zealand citizen, you must pay your fees upfront without the discount. You are no longer able to defer your fees to the Australian Taxation Office or receive a discount for upfront payments. You must be living in Australia while studying to be eligible for a Commonwealth supported place."

and further:

"Permanent Resident Visa Holders can no longer choose their payment option and must pay upfront with no discount (applicable to new to Monash students or pre-2005 Monash students who change course code from Summer B/2005 onwards), and

Voluntary repayment to the ATO discount, for payments over $500, decreases from 15% to 10% (applicable to all persons with a deferred debt to the ATO)."

Does that mean i'm non-eligible for a Commonwealth Supported Place, and my fees instead of being 8,000 a year will be somewhere in the vicinity of 20,000 a year and i have to pay all 5 years upfront? Someone please tell me this is not the case, becasue if it is i'm majorly screwed. I'm eligible for Australian Citizenship, how long does that process take.....and its the end of year period so im guessing no where near before January 4th when i put down my preferences.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
basically it means you pay CSP price, but you must do so upfront and without the 20% discount.

Kmahal1990

HSC
Are you sure?
So say i did law.....i'd pay 8,000 a year and not the 20,000 DFEE students pay?

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Kmahal1990 said:
Are you sure?
So say i did law.....i'd pay 8,000 a year and not the 20,000 DFEE students pay?
Yep, that's right. A friend of mine was in your position and became an Australian citizen early in the year to avoid having to pay upfront.

loser101

HSC
good on them. imagine if i went to USA and them giving me free education.

lots of these people once they get thier degrees move OS, never to return and never paying off thier HECS, was a huge loopehole

Generator

HSC
N/A
loser101 said:
lots of these people once they get thier degrees move OS, never to return and never paying off thier HECS, was a huge loopehole
Quite a few of 'us*' do that, too.

*Australian citizens.

I am here!

HSC
N/A
loser101 said:
What do you mean 'was'?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)