Perms and Combs Serial Number Question (1 Viewer)

KaoticKreature

HSC
Hey guys, I was just going though some Perms and Combs questions for my exam tomorrow and I came across this question:

A serial number is made up of 4 letters and 2 numbers. If zero is not allowed, find how many serial numbers are possible.

Now, the answers say that it is 37015056 which is what you get if you do 26^4 x 9^2. But here's the issue; shouldn't u then have to multiply it by 6! since you have to arrange the numbers and letters in 6! ways? How come this doesn't give the answer?

Thanks guys!

parad0xica

HSC
N/A
Serial number: an identification number showing the position of a printed or manufactured item in a series. (retrieved from Google)

This implies the order of the letters and numbers matter, so we don't multiply by 6!.

dannyphm

HSC
Hold on. If order matters then isn't multiplying my 6! necessary to account for the 6 factorials in which you could arrange every unique serial arrangement?

Ambility

HSC
The question must be meaning a serial number which has 4 letters, followed by 2 numbers, in that order. There would be more combinations than 37015056 if the serial numbers allowed letters and numbers to be in any order. This is what I don't like about permutations and combinations, the questions often don't sufficiently provide explicit information to answer them.

parad0xica

HSC
N/A
Hold on. If order matters then isn't multiplying my 6! necessary to account for the 6 factorials in which you could arrange every unique serial arrangement?
If you arrange it, then order is not preserved.

The structure of this serial number must be this:

L L L L N N

where L = letter and N = number.

Suppose we arrange it (one arrangement method out of 6! possible arrangements) such that it yields the following:

N L L L L N

We see order is not preserved and hence we should not multiply the result by 6!.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)