Peter Goldsworthy "maestro" (1 Viewer)

brightside

HSC
hello world. i was wondering if anybodys read or is doing the study of peter goldsworthy's maestro. I just need a bit a help with an essay so just post what u think paul (the main character) would regret in the book? thankyou

GaDaMIt

Premium Member
HSC
SEX with MEGAN? That's all I could think of that he regrets? Maybe due to his developed love for Keller.. how he called him a Nazi? And then ironically found out that they killed his family?

speedie

HSC
regrets not hearing out what maestro had to say before he left? regrets being a snob for a short duration?

u prob need about 3 regrets if ur doing an essay- 1 for each para

123jack123

HSC
sex with megan which is juxtaposed with sex with rosie, betrayal of bennie, not listening to kellers confessions, his own life not being as good as it could have been due to search for perfection (key theme), and also in ur essay write about dualities like love versus lust and other themes like beauty as a facade

xplict_concept

HSC
brightside said:
hello world. i was wondering if anybodys read or is doing the study of peter goldsworthy's maestro. I just need a bit a help with an essay so just post what u think paul (the main character) would regret in the book? thankyou
do u possibly go to school at marrickville?

brekkie2go

HSC
Ew, i'm doing this book aswell.

Regrets? I don't think Paul regrets having sex with Megan... because as a result, he discovered the difference between fantasy and reality. He learned from his mistakes.
Main regret is probably the one mentioned about how he didn't get to say what he wanted to Keller while he was around. And not sticking around to hear what he had to say because he wanted a root off Rosie. :eek:

I have to do an essay on this book and it's driving me insane.. Seriously.. I want to burn the syllabus. :burn:

crazydog

HSC
N/A
hi im doing this book as well.. can u help me with my essay which ask me to discuss about run away from the truth (people can run to the end of the world but cannot run away from the truth)?

thank you..

Undertoad

HSC
I dont think that Paul regrets having sex with megan either. He learns from it and it probably helped his relationship with rosie develop. His main regret would be not listening to maestro the night that rosie came to pick him up. I think Paul not only regrets it for his sake but for Kellers. Keller had finally opened up enough to allow himself to tell his story and reach some sort of acceptance of the past and Paul acted like he didnt care at all.
The last two pages of the book provide a nice summary. "and i regret that i had not taken more notice, kept a better record of those beautiful years" He also refers to "decisions have been made - by omission, neglect, inertia - that cannot be unmade" that i think refers somewhat to Paul chosing to leave instead of staying to hear what Keller had to say.

crazydog said:
hi im doing this book as well.. can u help me with my essay which ask me to discuss about run away from the truth (people can run to the end of the world but cannot run away from the truth)?

thank you..
I did the same essay. You can talk about how Keller choses to move all the way to Darwin, deny his old life by pretending he is dead but all the time there are constant reminders of the pain that he experienced and still is experiencing. His finger for one, his scrapbook, Pauls convo with that man in europe about what Keller used to be like shows how Keller has sort of numbed himself. Paul pushes maestro to confront the truth again by asking questions and the father/son relationship that they had.

Anyway, hope it helps a bit.

brekkie2go

HSC
As if the essay wasn't crap enough, now I have to do a speech.

Does anybody know any good related material (not another novel) that I could use under the topic of "discovery?" A movie preferably. Even a poem. It's due in like, 2 days and I haven't even started. :(

minnie89

HSC
hey,
I think that one of the themes in this novel would be 'growing up' its about Paul taking advantage of his childhood and that I believe is one of his regrets. I mean there are the obvious that he regrets betryaing Bennie and he regrets not listening to Kellers confession. But without mistakes how will we learn to correct them? thats how u should end ur essay just like in the novel :)

Umm speaking of this novel I ahve to write a eulogy about keller by Paul. Does anyone have any ideas? Im blank

Thanku (*)minnie(*)

Last edited:

annliveshere

HSC
gah.. i'm in the middle of doing my essay for Maestro.

"What are the lessons that the Maestro has to teach Paul?"

I'm having trouble summing up each paragraph, you know.. you give your point, extend on it, support it.. and then i just cant conclude it!!!

Why does this book keep being prescribed? its so pointless...

eternallybroken

HSC
I was wondering if anyone can help me with my Oral Presentation, on the betrayals of Maestro. I've got Paul and Rosie, Bennie, Keller and himself, but I need more!!! Much Love xx

lara2

HSC
hey
i have to do a 10-15 min oral on maestro and balzac and the little chinese seamstress and im probably going to do a comparison of paul and the seamstress and their loss of innocence.
can anyone help?
thanx

Marinatos

HSC
I'd say he regrets pretty much all his actions as a teenage - his arrogance, his belief in his own invulnerablity, his passion blinding him to the love of Keller, his affair with Megan, his personality that led him to have "ridged secondhand opinions", his failure in the world of music, his involvement in rough stuff, etc...

I have to write about the changing perspectives, techniques, etc. in Meastro.

DownInFlames

Token Member
where I spend the vast majority of my time
HSC
He regrets not taking Keller's advice when he told him he's 'technically perfect' but his music has no soul. Keller warned him that he was one in a thousand, not one in a million, and he wouldn't make it: he doesn't get to be in the line of pupils.

I hated that book. It was basically sex sex sex, teenage angst, name-dropping composers, some more graphic sex, then adult angst. Awesome job, Mr goldsworthy.

Your conclusion should be easy: what is your thesis?

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
my english teacher lost her shit over maestro last year.
the main thng he regrets, and he states it in the book is his lost time with Keller
the fact that he let his arrogance get in the way of his relationships.
thats the whole crux of the book.

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
I did this in year 10, and consequently have forgotten everything about it XD
But from reading posts and rekindling memories, the main regret is Paul not appreciating Keller, in particular not hearing his story which was obviously so significant to him. He chose Rosie instead, displaying teenage ignorance/arrogance, and superficial priorities.
I had to do a speech on "Growing up in Australia" with this as a core text :uhoh:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)