Peter Skrzynecki- can they specify? (1 Viewer)

MilkDrinker

HSC
Hi guys, hope your study is going well...
Just a question. Do you think they can specify a certain poem for section 3?
I heard they have specified speeches in module B paper 2 (but I do Hamlet instead), so this is concerning me.
In my opinion, it would not be quite fair since some of the prescribed texts are just one item (e.g. a film or novel).

What do you think?
Thanks

fahed_1001

HSC
Hi guys, hope your study is going well...
Just a question. Do you think they can specify a certain poem for section 3?
I heard they have specified speeches in module B paper 2 (but I do Hamlet instead), so this is concerning me.
In my opinion, it would not be quite fair since some of the prescribed texts are just one item (e.g. a film or novel).

What do you think?
Thanks
Looking at past HSC questions, i doubt they can actually prescribe you a poem as the question given is a common question for all texts.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Yes they can, and it's the same for all modules using multiple texts (speeches and poems). And it is entirely fair that they can. You're expected to learn the prescribed text as a collection of poetry/speeches, so your knowledge should extend to all of the poems in that collection. You can't justify studying 1 or 2 poems as the same as studying an entire movie or book. By that logic, you should only study 1 Act of Hamlet as well because it's broken into sections too, and only 1 chapter of a novel. For that reason, poems are seen as the lazy man's related text as well. It's unlikely they'll do any sort of specification in the AoS because they also have to cater for the Standard students, but it is possible and entirely fair. In fact, in Hamlet, they've been inconspicuously asking you to do the same by asking you to refer to specific sections of the play anyway (e.g. ending). You should have studied every poem in the collection. There's only 6-8 poems for most of the modules anyway, so it's not like it's that hard. Realistically speaking, studying the entire collection of poems is a lot easier than studying a film/novel anyway.

The BoS are able to do whatever they like as long as it's in the syllabus. They can even ask for 2 related texts like you're expected to have studied anyway (oh the shock and horror).

But the past questions have historically been 1 question applied to all of the texts, so you shouldn't really worry too much. But my point is you should be prepared in case they do nonetheless.

Last edited:

writerj6

HSC
N/A
No, Section III is on Belonging and is a single question that can be answered with reference to any of the prescribed AOS texts. Module B, Paper 2 is either Close or Critical Study which necessitates individualised questions which address specific elements of each prescribed text.

That said, you will need to refer to at least 2-3 poems to get a reasonable score in Section III.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
No, Section III is on Belonging and is a single question that can be answered with reference to any of the prescribed AOS texts. Module B, Paper 2 is either Close or Critical Study which necessitates individualised questions which address specific elements of each prescribed text.

That said, you will need to refer to at least 2-3 poems to get a reasonable score in Section III.
Referring to three poems in sufficient depth would be difficult without having a really short analysis supplemented with a short ORT.

bxing

HSC
Yes they can, and it's the same for all modules using multiple texts (speeches and poems). And it is entirely fair that they can. You're expected to learn the prescribed text as a collection of poetry/speeches, so your knowledge should extend to all of the poems in that collection. You can't justify studying 1 or 2 poems as the same as studying an entire movie or book. By that logic, you should only study 1 Act of Hamlet as well because it's broken into sections too, and only 1 chapter of a novel. For that reason, poems are seen as the lazy man's related text as well. It's unlikely they'll do any sort of specification in the AoS because they also have to cater for the Standard students, but it is possible and entirely fair. In fact, in Hamlet, they've been inconspicuously asking you to do the same by asking you to refer to specific sections of the play anyway (e.g. ending). You should have studied every poem in the collection. There's only 6-8 poems for most of the modules anyway, so it's not like it's that hard. Realistically speaking, studying the entire collection of poems is a lot easier than studying a film/novel anyway.

The BoS are able to do whatever they like as long as it's in the syllabus. They can even ask for 2 related texts like you're expected to have studied anyway (oh the shock and horror).

But the past questions have historically been 1 question applied to all of the texts, so you shouldn't really worry too much. But my point is you should be prepared in case they do nonetheless.
It wouldn't be fair. It is true that the prescribed text is the collection of poems, but your subsequent logic is flawed. They ask you to use your prescribed text (whether it be a play, a book, or a set of poems), not a precise section of that text. For them to ask for reference to a specific poem, would be the same as asking for reference to a specific act or scene.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
It wouldn't be fair. It is true that the prescribed text is the collection of poems, but your subsequent logic is flawed. They ask you to use your prescribed text (whether it be a play, a book, or a set of poems), not a precise section of that text. For them to ask for reference to a specific poem, would be the same as asking for reference to a specific act or scene.
Where is the flaw?

That is what I said, and I also identified they already started doing that for Hamlet by asking things in reference to the final Acts and conclusions in the last two years. When I said you wouldn't just study a specific chapter/act, I meant that you wouldn't only study that specific section to put in your essay. Yes, they do ask you to use your prescribed text, and so you're expected to know your prescribed text inside out regardless of what textual medium that is, and regardless of whether that is a collection of poems. By extension they are able to specify a chapter, but they aren't likely to specify anything in any module other than the Critical Study (Mod B) because that is where your knowledge of texts should obviously be at its pinnacle. It's simply fair because you are expected to have studied all the poems, so if they choose to specify something you are already expected to have knowledge of that poem, and in class you should have gone over each poem.

Edit: And before you say, "well yes, you do only study a section to put into your essay", I mean that you wouldn't stop studying the text after you come across that section. You would go on to study the remainder of the prescribed to see if any other information could be of value/relevance, and retain that information regardless of whether it makes it into your essay or not.

Last edited:

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Everyone here who's crying about specification a freaking sook.

If they can, who gives a freaking crap. Peter Skrzynecki is the same representation of belonging, just spoken through different quotes across the Immigrant Chronicle. It's not so hard to read over some quotes/techniques from another poem and just manipulate them into your memorised analysis, provided that it's not a flawed representation of belonging.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Everyone here who's crying about specification a freaking sook.

If they can, who gives a freaking crap. Peter Skrzynecki is the same representation of belonging, just spoken through different quotes across the Immigrant Chronicle. It's not so hard to read over some quotes/techniques from another poem and just manipulate them into your memorised analysis, provided that it's not a flawed representation of belonging.

God apparently I still need to rep other people before I can rep you again :haha:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)