Pharm/Physiology/Biochem majors vs Psych in combined degree (1 Viewer)

tanna

HSC
I'm doing a combined Com/Sci degree in Sydney uni, but undecided about which majors to pursue for the combined degree. From what i can see, about four junior (non-math) subjects are allowed... and I can either head in the first direction, or do psych.

I'm interested in both - but which would be more beneficial within my degree? Is there any way I can get down the first year prereqs for both options, and decide after first year when I have a bit of knowledge on the content, and a bit more time to decide on my future direction?

Thanks for the help.

bio_nut

HSC
To do Biochem in second year you need to do 12 credit points of Chemistry and Molecular Biology and Genetics (Intro). (MBLG)

Second year Physiology needs 6 credit points of chem and 30 points of any chem, bio, maths, physics, pysch. highly recommends MBLG

Second year Pharm requires 6 credit points chem and 6 of either MBLG or bio

To do pysch second year you have to do it both semesters first year

As you're doing a double degree though, you have a bit more time to work these things out, you can do some of your prereq science subjects in second year too, you know. Like, I know Chem 1A and 1B can be done either semester.

edit: I would recommend chem to keep your options open, and definately MBLG (you'll know whether you love or hate the area after this subject!) as well as some bio. but because you want to do pysch, you might not be able to fit in chem both sems... which means you can't do biochem until second sem

Sorry, I can't really comment further without seeing what slots and exactly how many electives you have.

Last edited:

tanna

HSC
Thanks for your post :) Food for thought...

I think I'll do that though... I'll pick MBLG and chem + 4 maths units for first year (as well as commerce units). And if need be, I can change second year and do PSYC1001 and PSYC1002 if I decide against doing pharm or phys or whatnot.

I wish I was able to get both these types of majors done though. Ah well, that's life.

bio_nut

HSC
Haha, cool you're going my way ;)

You're welcome. :)

Let me know if you want any info on those kinds of subjects, I did all those except pysch last year, am doing biochem, microbio, immunology and such this year.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
haha im doing the exact same degree as u :) and for the science part im majoring in psychology (because itll go well if i choose to major in HR or marketing), and as my second major im either doing physiology or pharmacology! so yeah id recommend you do what im doing, and choose psychology as one major, and then choose either pharm/physio/biochem as the second major :)

tanna

HSC
haha im doing the exact same degree as u :) and for the science part im majoring in psychology (because itll go well if i choose to major in HR or marketing), and as my second major im either doing physiology or pharmacology! so yeah id recommend you do what im doing, and choose psychology as one major, and then choose either pharm/physio/biochem as the second major :)
:) I may see you there then!!!

That's a possibility too. But see the thing is, biochem requires 24 cps of junior prereqs, so if i do biochem, then I don't have enough junior units to do psych1001 and psych1002.

unless there's some way around it which i don't know... but maybe i should consider other majors lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)