pharmacy (1 Viewer)

miss_pinkii

HSC
hey

so im considering transferring to pharmacy, and there are a few things that i wanted to know:

idk if its just a stereotype, but is the chemistry in pharm really hard?

also, are the practical exams hard?

thanks!

littleboy

HSC
yep, chem is hard. But biochem in second year is harder =]

prac exams are ok

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
HSC
littleboy said:
yep, chem is hard. But biochem in second year is harder =]

prac exams are ok
isnt it mostly just carbon chem ? thats from what i heard though , so im not sure.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Biochem in HSC Chem option is not at all similar to Biochem in Uni.

Apparently, I heard you do alot of protein, amino acids chemistry. Very random stuff. =/

tennille

HSC
Second year biochemistry in first semester is all based on amino acids, enzymes, all the boring stuff. Second semester biochemistry is based on metabolism, electron transport chain, diabetes, etc (much more interesting!). Third year biochemistry is alright, too.

SabtheLab

Mindlessly Acuminous
HSC
First year chemistry isnt hard as long as you do your work.
Everyone says biochemistry in 2nd yr is hard but if you always keep up to date and do extra research, youll be fine.

All in all, pharmacy is way overrated. Trust me.

lala2

Banned
HSC
I've just started my second semester of second year pharmacy, so please feel free to PM me with any questions you have--I do try to come on BOS once a week.

Chemistry in pharmacy is not hard. Biochemistry is a lot to remember, but it's interesting and two of the three lecturers you will get are good. As SabtheLab said, it's mainly about keeping up to date--you will find that the lecturer for intermediary metabolism is really repetitive and so half your notes are the same content anyway.

Extra research? Well, I did use my textbook for some nifty diagrams (and I'm one of those people who borrow and hardly ever use textbooks in general), and the rest--Wikipedia :)

There's med chem as well which is boring as anything but it's not hard....oh and IPS/Pharmaceutics and Formulation--all you really need is a basic understanding of organic chemistry, stereochemistry (your D/L, R/S, cis/trans, axial/equatorial), acids and bases (pKa and pH), thermochemistry (basically, that G is free energy, H is enthalpy, S is entropy and G being -ve makes a reaction spontaneous), and an understanding of inter (and intra) molecular forces, i.e. your H bonds, your dispersion/London/van der Waal's forces, dipole moments, etc.

Any gaps in your knowledge will be covered at some point, so don't worry too much. First year chemistry in any science degree should be fine. Overall, pharmacy is really quite overrated.

As for the pracs, I'm not sure what you're referring to--as in, just science experiment type pracs or actual dispensing? Dispensing I dont know because we don't do it till third year.

SabtheLab, are you in first or second year?

yummyrice

HSC
N/A
Overall, pharmacy is really quite overrated.
By overrated, do you mean the pharmacy subjects aren't as difficult as they are said to be, or that Pharmacy itself is not as great a course as it's made out to be?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)