" Philippines 'to blame for Aus threat'" (1 Viewer)

astro

HSC
well....the threats are pretty bad to say the least...however i don't think that Filipinos are to blame for the threats.....i mean some countries don't want their people dying for a cause that they shouldn't be involved with in the first place

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
i don't think pulling out was the right thing... it is just showing 'weakness' per se. But then again i never supported us joining in the first place. It should have been US vs Iraq not the coalition of the (un)willing. but since we're in, we're in for the long haul i guess. Hopefully tho with better decisions than were made previously, esp in light of the strength of the intelligence that has been dished out to encourage us to fight.

a serious threat... makes me wanna move to switzerland.. or some other place... denmark who knows... i'd rather not be around for said 'pools of blood'

Shamburger

HSC
I don't think that most of the media is reporting this properly. There are some 9,000,000 Filipinos working overseas and most of them would be in the Middle East. When the truck driver was taken hostage, it reminded Arroyo (and the voters) just how vulnerable these people are, especially because of their country's military participation in the Middle East. By having soldiers fighting in Iraq (although I think most of them were mechanics), the Philippine government was putting the lives of all these workers at risk. Even ignoring the moral problems, these 9,000,000 workers (who send most of their pay back to their Nonnos and Nonnas at home) are the Philippines' largest source of international currency - they're probably even more important to the economy than the local workforce.

Then taking into account the fact that the majority of Filipinos were opposed to the war in the first place, and the fact that groups like the Moro Islamic Liberation Front are just itching for a reason to shoot something, especially after being stirred more than a bit by the recent national and local elections, I think that Arroyo would have to be either very brave or very blind to keep the 51 soldiers in Iraq.

Personally, I find the reasoning behind the "we don't negotiate with hostage takers" line flawed. The idea is that, if the government never gives into hostage takers, then the terrorists will eventually work out that they have nothing to be gained by taking hostages and will give up. But I'd think that the hostage takers are taking a similar line. They'd say that if they keep taking (and killing) hostages, then the occupying powers will eventually work out that they have nothing to be gained by taking such a hard-nosed line and will give up. Nothing changes and all the while innocent workers are being abducted and killed. But that's just my view.

btw, I'm half Filipino (in case you can't tell), just so that you know where my biases lie.

Last edited:

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Remind me to never become a hostage ... i will never be freed. lol.

The government should help free hostages cause every cilivan life should be important to them.

I think that we shouldn't have followed the U.S. And because our government wants to become the second United States its causing us to become a target ... we are not a target because the phillipines withdrew their troops.

nerd2die4

HSC
'Mr Downer said the government knew little about Tawhid but was taking the threat seriously.' Tawhid could be a bunch of pimple faced teenagers sending emails to parliament house for all that we know. Downer should have done his research before announcing the threat to the country.

Igor

HSC
N/A
the Bush administration, the blair administration and the howard administration are trying desperatley to justify a war in arrears. it's not working, what will work and has been proven to work is to make the Aus. people so afraid that any change in government is a threat, cause so far no ones bombed aus have they?

unless you count the 30+ terrorism incidents between 1970 and 1985. almost all of which were carried out by Yugoslav sepratists

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
According to Downer, the Phillippines pulling its troops out 3 weeks earlier than planned increases the risk of a terrorist attack against Australia.

Also according to Downer, participating in the invasion of Iraq did not increase the risk of a terrorist attack against Australia.

Can someone help me reconcile these two statements?

owoodley

Don't be surprised if terror attacks and threats seemed to magically materialise as an election grows near.... "what's that, Latham doesnt support the troops in Iraq?".... BOOM.... "look the Meyer's building is missing, better continue supporting the war against terror!"

Igor

HSC
N/A
its the politics of warfare. keep the population afraid of what MIGHT happen under a different government and make sure that they know that the current government is doing everything they can to keep the population safe.

sounds dumb, but it worked in Britain (for a bit) and the US, and Aus in the WW2 (for a bit)

Tommy_Lamp

Coco
HSC
3 main points as to why what the Phillipines did was right
1) They had 50 troops there, 50! And all they were doing was guarding the freaking airfield
2) They were going to live Iraq in 3 weeks anyway
3) THEY SAVED THE LIFE OF A CITIZEN

0 main points as to why what the Phillipines did was wrong

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
its been interesting to read that i wasnt the only one dumbfounded by this general lack of sense.

i also wondered though, whether this had saved arroyo from any political backlash over recent elections, for she is untouchable for a good while, and her opponents know that. kinda makes you think about 'primary colors' doesnt it, where the invention of the war gets the president reelected or something, i didnt watch it but sounded like a good plot

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)