Physic Prac (1 Viewer)

Hoskiies

HSC
I've got a Prac coming Thursday and was wander the different variations they might ask you to do. Not the simple ones like moving a magnet in and out a coil, demonstrate a transformer etc.

I have a feeling its going to be something to do with building a DC motor from some wires and magnet and explain how to create a split ring commutator.

Leffife

A lover is a best friend
HSC
N/A
You can't build a DC motor within ~ 1hr. If they are going to do something with a DC motor it would most likely be just assembling and running it and measuring the _______ , also with other questions of course.

Hoskiies

HSC
You can't build a DC motor within ~ 1hr. If they are going to do something with a DC motor it would most likely be just assembling and running it and measuring the _______ , also with other questions of course.
Its pretty easy to build one in like 15 mins.
Wind a coil up, sand paper both ends of the coil, on one end only sand paper half of it.
Use paper clips, connect to Powerpack and coil.
Place magnets next to the coil, give it a flick
Done

Last edited:

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
I've got a Prac coming Thursday and was wander the different variations they might ask you to do. Not the simple ones like moving a magnet in and out a coil, demonstrate a transformer etc.

I have a feeling its going to be something to do with building a DC motor from some wires and magnet and explain how to create a split ring commutator.
A few questions first of all:

- What does this prac assessment consists of?
Our 1st Physics assessment - the prac assessment - involved us doing just a 'normal' syllabus prac from the Space topic (perform an investigation and gather informatiopn to determine avalue for acceleration due to gravity using pendulum motion) on 1 day then during the test week (week after), we'd answer questions on the prac (worth 20 marks), answer some general theory questions on Space (10 marks) and everyone got 5 'free marks' for doing the prac :haha:.
(Our 2nd Physics assessment was just a written exam (half-yearly I guess) of 30 marks which I did this Tuesday.)

So do you guys just do the prac and marks are based on just that? Or do a prac then answer questions based on the prac --> reliability, accuracy, validity, variables, etc.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong (esp past HSC Physics students), I'm pretty sure they cannot ask you a prac OUTSIDE of the syllabus (so iffy about the split ring commutator one)?

So for Motors & Gen, the syllabus pracs (basically those 'simple' ones you said) are:
- Peform a first-hand investigation to demonstrate the motor effect. (I think building a model DC motor comes under here as well)
- Perform an investigation to model the generation of an electric current by moving a magnet in a coil or a coil near a magnet.
- Plan, choose equipment or resources for, and perform a first-hand investigation to predict and verify the effect on a generated electric current when:
1. the distance between the coil and magnet is varied.
2. the strength of the magnet is varied.
3. the relative motion between the coil and the magnet is varied.
- Plan, choose equipment or resources for, and perform a first-hand investigation to demonstrate the production of an alternating current.
- Perform an investigation to model the structure of a transformer to demonstrate how secondary voltage is produced.
- Perform an investigation to demonstrate the principle of an AC induction motor.

Hoskiies

HSC
A few questions first of all:

- What does this prac assessment consists of?
Our 1st Physics assessment - the prac assessment - involved us doing just a 'normal' syllabus prac from the Space topic (perform an investigation and gather informatiopn to determine avalue for acceleration due to gravity using pendulum motion) on 1 day then during the test week (week after), we'd answer questions on the prac (worth 20 marks), answer some general theory questions on Space (10 marks) and everyone got 5 'free marks' for doing the prac :haha:.
(Our 2nd Physics assessment was just a written exam (half-yearly I guess) of 30 marks which I did this Tuesday.)

So do you guys just do the prac and marks are based on just that? Or do a prac then answer questions based on the prac --> reliability, accuracy, validity, variables, etc.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong (esp past HSC Physics students), I'm pretty sure they cannot ask you a prac OUTSIDE of the syllabus (so iffy about the split ring commutator one)?

So for Motors & Gen, the syllabus pracs (basically those 'simple' ones you said) are:
- Peform a first-hand investigation to demonstrate the motor effect. (I think building a model DC motor comes under here as well)
- Perform an investigation to model the generation of an electric current by moving a magnet in a coil or a coil near a magnet.
- Plan, choose equipment or resources for, and perform a first-hand investigation to predict and verify the effect on a generated electric current when:
1. the distance between the coil and magnet is varied.
2. the strength of the magnet is varied.
3. the relative motion between the coil and the magnet is varied.
- Plan, choose equipment or resources for, and perform a first-hand investigation to demonstrate the production of an alternating current.
- Perform an investigation to model the structure of a transformer to demonstrate how secondary voltage is produced.
- Perform an investigation to demonstrate the principle of an AC induction motor.
Its gonna have a bunch of questions at the end, Validity, accuracy, discussion, conclusion, graphs etc. the typical layout of a Prac

Cheers.

Dan895

HSC
Uni Grad
I am so happy that my prac was on the pendulum it would be so much eaiser than anything in motors and generators. That said those induction coils are da sikest, not that you'd use them in a school prac I don't think

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)