Physics electricity model (1 Viewer)

theKingPin

HSC
So I have an assessment in which I have to make a model to demonstrate the safety features in homes such as fuses, circuit breakers etc. So what type of model might be a good idea to use in this? It has to be a proper 3d model and we will then do a presentation using this and explain these principles.
Any ideas will be helpful. Thanks in advance.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Could make a paper tube that is analogous to a wire. Then, chuck marbles through the paper tube one by one at different time intervals. If you increase the time interval, it is equivalent to having less charge flowing through for a period of time, and hence lower current as current is the rate of change of charge with respect to time.

If you decrease the time interval to chuck the marbles in, then you can say that current was increased.

Now, place this tube along a bench. Make sure that the tube is angled downwards and make some sort of bridge so that the paper is not supported in the middle.

If you decrease the time interval between placing each marble in the tube and letting it roll downwards, then you increase the "current". Eventually, the paper tube that is not supported in the middle will break if there are too many marbles and hence, it will break due to a large "current". The paper not being supported by anything is effectively a fuse.

To model a switch, you can have the tube diverge and move to another path, then have a blocking material that blocks the marbles from coming out of the tube and spilling everywhere. You should probably use a metal for this blocker. When you diverge the circuit and block the marbles from coming out, the "switch" you have just made is "opened". Then when you put the tube back so that the marbles can go to the other end (and take out the blocker), then the "switch" is "closed".

Another thing you can do, for RCD protection you can use magnets. This will depend on how you set it up and you will need to be pretty creative.

theKingPin

HSC
Thanks,
That's a really good idea, I was going to try the simple water model and set up tubes etc but was having some problems in figuring out how to set up the fuses etc.

If I use the paper model I'll put pictures of it later.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Water is a more accurate way to show it, however it is messy. You would want your pump to be the lowest point (ie the pump is lower vertically than the rest of the circuit) and then have the pump push water from a sump upwards. Then have your fuse somewhere before you get to the highest point. If you do use water, don't illustrate anything on the return line from the highest point down to the sump.

For a fuse, you would need to get really creative and consider a valve type set up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)