physics or maths 2U? (1 Viewer)

x_dreama

God before evrything else
HSC
hmm well for yr 11 i chose maths ext, english ext, modern history, physics, korean cont!
I've realised i hate maths and i hate studying it~!
But in physics, my marks are quite miserable but i know that if i study i'll do much better..however..
alot of people say dropping all of maths is bad??
I wanted to pick up english ext2 with history ext and drop maths ext but I'm confused over keeping maths 2u or physics..
ppl say that the scaling for physics is better too..
any advice would be appreciated =) thankz!

omigodwhenover

gotta love the HSC...
HSC
If you hate maths you will find that you wont stidy as much and you wont do as well as you would in the subjects you like! If you are interested in physics i would say keep it. Dont worry too much about scaling. On the other hand if you are excellent at maths and you're failing maths the advice is obvious. Otherwise i'd drop maths. But then again you probably dont want my advice, i do General Maths :rolleyes:

Guernica

HSC
It'd be so great to do no maths... drop it all. Have a maths-free life..

Bookie

Banned
HSC
dude, what percentage of Physics student don't do 2U maths?

My bet would be close to 5%, but if you're up for it. Drop it.

But maths will help you more - cos you can just doa bridiging course for physics should you need it.

mica

HSC
x_dreama just keep in mind that physics has alot of maths in it.

i know that doing 2U math has helped me with using the formulas in physics :)

P

pLuvia

do maths but if you rmore of a sciency person do physics and physics contains a lot of maths

drewgcn

postpantsism
HSC
Well, personally I think its a bit pointless doing physics without maths, seeing as anything you'll need to do in physics in future requires maths, and physics requires some maths already (e.g. calculus).

But then again you could probably do it without it.

Ask your physics teacher/science head teacher what they think.

P

pLuvia

drewgcn said:
Well, personally I think its a bit pointless doing physics without maths, seeing as anything you'll need to do in physics in future requires maths, and physics requires some maths already (e.g. calculus).

But then again you could probably do it without it.

Ask your physics teacher/science head teacher what they think.
you dont need maths for physics, maths only helps with physics but you learn the formulae and stuff in physics its just that the people doing maths already know it, but yeh it is a slight disadvantage

klaw

HSC
Personally, I find 2U maths much easier than physics. You also learn less content in 2U maths.

klaw

HSC
kadlil said:
you dont need maths for physics, maths only helps with physics but you learn the formulae and stuff in physics its just that the people doing maths already know it, but yeh it is a slight disadvantage
you get a formula sheet for physics...

drewgcn

postpantsism
HSC
Kadlil, what about when you have to derive the tangent on harder velocity time graphs, and also find the area underneath them?

klaw

HSC
that's not even calculus. You don't differentiate or integrate it, you just find the gradient using rise over run and area using area formulae

P

pLuvia

drewgcn said:
Kadlil, what about when you have to derive the tangent on harder velocity time graphs, and also find the area underneath them?
anyways the teacher will tell you how to do that dont they?? or do you even need to know that in physics?? btw i dont do it..~~

Raginsheep

HSC
Finding the area under any motion graphs will be like counting squares on a grid...

There is almost no hsc maths required for physics besides knowing how to use the formulas at the back of the sheet. All you need to know is how to use a given formula, a calculator and basic algebraic manipulation although better students will understand what a formula may actually describe and thus use it to explain some theory aspects better.

As for whether you should drop maths or physics, its really up to you. If you're better at physics, go ahead, drop maths espcially if it won't count in your UAI. Just remember though, depending on what you want to do in uni maths generally is required more often than physics. Personally, as someone who's done both maths and physics, I'd keep maths, but then again...I do 4u maths :rolleyes:

Also, just as a heads up, I've heard that doing english ext 2 and history ext can be a bit hectic with its two major works.

x_dreama

God before evrything else
HSC
wow thankz guys!! that was my first post and i got so many replies and alot of great advice hehe =)
Well I'm not aiming to do anything maths related (for now anyway) in uni or business related lol.. you've probably guessed by now that I'm an english fan!!
But going back to my question Physics is way more interesting but its true that my maths marks are better for 2u~ my teacher suggested that i actually do both and then drop a subject in term 4, would that be too much of a workload?
thankz agen for all da advice^^!

aaaman

Banned
HSC
actually HSC physics is easier than yr 11 but yr12 maths is harder than yr 11 (especially 3U)

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
x_dreama said:
wow thankz guys!! that was my first post and i got so many replies and alot of great advice hehe =)
Well I'm not aiming to do anything maths related (for now anyway) in uni or business related lol.. you've probably guessed by now that I'm an english fan!!
But going back to my question Physics is way more interesting but its true that my maths marks are better for 2u~ my teacher suggested that i actually do both and then drop a subject in term 4, would that be too much of a workload?
thankz agen for all da advice^^!
my suggestion is wat ur teacher said, do both for a term or so and see how u like it. maths mite not help physics but physics is alot like maths as well. =\

so long trying out both subjects is not a huge burden for ur other subjects, i dont see y not. =P betta than regret later? coz maths 2u later is gonna get harder

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)