Physics prerequisites at MQ (1 Viewer)

Wyes

HSC
Unfortunately (for me), I don't meet the Maths prereqs for taking Physics units at MQ (namely PHYS140), as I only did General Maths (good decision, given the highest mark at my school was 30% in 2 unit Maths). I've exchanged some correspondence with staff from MQ, but I haven't really gotten a straight answer. How can I make my way into these Physics units? From what I've heard my options are either take a bridging course (and if so, which one should I take? The woman who runs the bridging courses suggested the Extension stream to cope with physics, but I don't think that will work having only a General Maths background) or add 6 months on to my degree to work my way up to the necessary level of Maths. Is this correct?

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
Bridging course would be your best bet. this is because the pre-requisite for PHYS140 is found here:PHYS140 - 2010 Course Handbook - Macquarie University and is:

(HSC Mathematics Band 4 or HSC Mathematics Extension 1 Band E3 or HSC Mathematics Extension 2 or equivalent) or corequisite of (MATH132 or MATH133 or MATH135 or MATH136)

[NOTE: Co-requisite means you can either have passed it before or be taking it while studying this unit, hence the 'co']

Now if you don't have a bridging course, the easiest of those MATh units is MATH135 [MATH132 % MATH133 are advanced versions of MATH135 & MATH136 respecitvely]

However the pre-reqs for MATH135 are:

HSC Mathematics Band 4 or HSC Mathematics Extension 1 Band E2 or HSC Mathematics Extension 2 or MATH130(P)

So you'll have to do MATH130, which has no pre-reqs and "This unit is the standard entry level mathematics unit for students who have not had the benefit of a detailed introduction to the calculus that is equivalent to a reasonably high level of the New South Wales HSC Mathematics course"

So yeh, looks like if you don't do a bridging course, you'll have to do MATH130 in semester 1, then in semester 1 of your 2nd year you can do MATH135 and PHYS140 at the same time.

[Note that MATH135 & MATH136 are needed anyway to complete the Physics major, as stated here: 2010 Handbook - 2010 Course Handbook - Macquarie University, so you'll have to do them, whether or not you do the bridging course - in fact you'll even have to do 200-level MATH235]

So unlesss you are doing a double degree, yes i see no way of reasonably attaining the major in Physics in 3 years.

Wyes

HSC
Will I be able to enroll in the Maths units after doing the bridging course?

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
Not completely sure on that - contact the person involved with that (could be the Numeracy Centre).

Since pre-reqs for MATH135 are: "HSC Mathematics Band 4 or HSC Mathematics Extension 1 Band E2 ... ", i would think that you would meet this pre-req after the bridging course.

But please, confirm with someone from the Maths Department.

If this turns out to be true, then you can enrol in MATH135 and PHYS140 in semester 1, MATH136 & PHYS143 in semester 2 and off you go, on track for a 3 year degree.

Wyes

HSC
Thanks, I'll do that. You've been very helpful.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)