Physics Question help!! (1 Viewer)

HSC
So a shuttle is decelerating at a rate of 50m/s. Travelling towards the Earth. A dude is 90kg in the shuttle, what is the force of the seat on the dude? Taking into consideration of the deceleration and gravitational force of the guy.

Questions very confusing, if anyone wants the answer, just ask me!

Drsoccerball

HSC
Yeah it is! Can you show me how you worked it out?
Okay so i kind of used extension 2 knowledge of mechanics to solve (which is just memorised in HSC physics)
the formula = 932N OR as you memorise F=T-mg and since T is negative you get the formula F=T+mg (Assuming downwards is positive direction)

Drsoccerball

HSC
my bad you have to multiply acceleration by the mass aswell
F= 90x9.8 +50x9.8 =5382

HSC
Wait, why do you add them? The decelerating force is pushing against the shuttle causing it to decelerate. So shouldn't it be 4500-982N?

HSC
Could you provide a stronger explanation why you add them? I just don't understand why lmao

Drsoccerball

HSC
Could you provide a stronger explanation why you add them? I just don't understand why lmao
IF its traveling towards earth that means acceleration is towards the earth but that acceleration is slowly decreasing as t increases

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
You should be adding them, not subtracting.

If it is moving towards Earth, but decelerating, then the acceleration is opposing the motion of the craft (and opposing acceleration due to gravity!). So, the 'relative acceleration' is 50 + 9.8 = 59.8, therefore weight = 59.8 x 90 = 5382N.

It is analogous to an elevator travelling downwards, but slowing down. You feel heavier than you really are!

Think of it this way, if you subtract it, then using your friends method, if acceleration was 9.8 upwards, then you would appear weightless!!

Last edited:

Drsoccerball

HSC
You should be adding them, not subtracting.

If it is moving towards Earth, but decelerating, then the acceleration is opposing the motion of the craft (and opposing acceleration due to gravity!). So, the 'relative acceleration' is 50 + 9.8 = 59.8, therefore weight = 59.8 x 90 = 5382N.

It is analogous to an elevator travelling downwards, but slowing down. You feel heavier than you really are!

Think of it this way, if you subtract it, then using your friends method, if acceleration was 9.8 upwards, then you would appear weightless!!
I did the calculations and you get t as negative if its both positive therefore it had to be negative

Mr_Kap

HSC
I'm confused now. Is it negative then or not?

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
I did the calculations and you get t as negative if its both positive therefore it had to be negative

I think you ar misreading or misinterpreting the question.

Moving towards the Earth but decelerating at 50m/s^2 is the same thing as moving away from the Earth and accelerating at 50m/s^2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)