Physics test taking advice (1 Viewer)

Shadose

Enjoy Life
HSC
Hey everyone,

well I just like to ask people's ideas/ strategies when taking tests, especially for Physics.

For example, always write the formula, and show working out. I had lost a mark for not showing the formula :(
And answer the questions directly, look at the word list they gave us.

Anybody have advice? I tried to find test taking advice on google, a little help. But can anyone clarify?

Thankyou.

cwag

adonis
HSC
N/A
this is proabably a cliche response but always lok at the allocated marks for everyquestion...this gives u a good idea of hoe much u need to write. you know...1 mark means a few words/numerical value....2 marks is usually describing something, or a two step problem.. 3 marks, wants to to analysis the question deeply, giving a description/analysis/with reasons for and/or against.....etc

jcurry

HSC
If you are using an equation that isn't on the data sheet make sure youi show how you derived that equation. Always write the equations out that you are using, do the working out and so on. Make sure you address the question correctly with verbs like evaluate and assess etc.

clonestar

Physicist/*******
HSC
N/A
I mark a lot of exam papers, test, assignments and can give you a few pointers.

Think scrupulously and meticulously.

Every great Scientist has structure not only in their thought but also in their setting out.

Make sure you make it easy for yourself by setting out your work coherently and in structure. I also recommend having the verb defintions next to you during exams; ask your teacher to attach it to exams a copy of these verbs and emphasise to yourself that the verb is actually answered after completing the question(s).

Most of all think positively and look forward to the challenge of answering the problem.

Best of Luck.

Shadose

Enjoy Life
HSC
clonestar said:
I mark a lot of exam papers, test, assignments and can give you a few pointers.

Think scrupulously and meticulously.

Every great Scientist has structure not only in their thought but also in their setting out.

Make sure you make it easy for yourself by setting out your work coherently and in structure. I also recommend having the verb defintions next to you during exams; ask your teacher to attach it to exams a copy of these verbs and emphasise to yourself that the verb is actually answered after completing the question(s).

Most of all think positively and look forward to the challenge of answering the problem.

Best of Luck.
Good point. Thankyou :D

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
theshortykatt said:
for questions what need formulae, WRITE THE FORMULA & KNOWN DATA !! then work the question out.
preparing for the test/exam, get the formulae sheet that is used in the hsc exam and write all over it.. what each symbol means, what formula it is, ect.

for wordy questions, ADDRESS THE VERB!!! major thing. if you dont, you cant possibly get full marks..
eg, describe, explain, evauate, identify...
honestly, if you dont have the list.. go get one.. (hsc online has a nice table of them.)
in preparing for one, summaries.

(bahhaahaha, i sound like my teacher... -anyone who recognises these quotes?-)
Better people remember the formulas to save time and know what each and every constant and variable in it means, what it stands for and know how to rearrange it !
Why not try that and it'll save time !
:mad:

munchiecrunchie said:
don't forget the units. or the direction of force/velocity.
Remember your S.I. units.

and lol ummm...

Last edited:

Shadose

Enjoy Life
HSC
^Thanks thats good advice, with good point. I had been spending quiet an amount of time to find the equation for escape velocity -_-"
And also the radius of the Earth. They were not even given, would have been good to know them all + SI units.

a-n-d-r-e-w

HSC
read the question and get read of useless information. Theirs often a couple of questions that have distractions, eg time dilation --> an astronaut wont see the effect of time dilation without comparing it to time in a different frame of refernece.

a 90000kg spacecraft is leaving planet x, planet x has diameter 18956km and a mass of 7.0*10^26kg, calculate the escape velocity. The 90000kg is useless data, the escape velocity is completely independant of the planet

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)