Picking up and dropping (1 Viewer)

Tenille

the one & only
HSC
Whos planning to pick up another subject or drop a current subject for next year???
I am dropping EXT english, and i might pick up EXT history or just stay on 11 units i don't know....

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
If you like history I highly recommend extension history......its a lot more grown up & in depth and the major work aint bad either (even if I am stressing my brains out right now)

KarmaKitten

HSC
I am dropping visual arts and taking up extension 2 english and extension history. I will have 11 units too. which is sort of worrying me.

Mike iE

HSC
I'll drop Chemistry or business, and might pick up History Extension. That'll give me 12 units, i'd rather 10 or 11. I wish i could pick my subjects again ....

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
umm droping extension englsih gaining extension 2 maths if i can

giving me 12 -.-''

i could drop software but nah... its easy ... and i like all my subs so far

Chang

HSC
doing maths ext 1 im gonna try pick up ext2

also im gonna try pick up cosmology (dunno if it counts to the UAI)

and drop both business and economics so thats 12 units =|

Actuarial Boy
HSC
cosmology is a distinction course u apply for it outside of school i think... it scales very well too

Lolliana

going into year 12, i dropped drama and general maths, and i picked up ext 2 eng, ext hist and ext french
i was doing 12 units
halfway through term one, 2003, i relaised i had waaaay too much work, so i dropped ext history
its a fabulous subject and was my favourite, but my reasoning was, it was causing me grief becuase it really should be a 2 unit subject, and i thought if i kept ext eng 2, at least that didnt have an exam during the HSC
i kind of wish i hadnt dropped it, but it certainly was a huge weight off my work load
so, at the end of term one, i thought i would drop art, becuase its my worst subject, and i wanted more time to concentrate on my extension units, so i talked to my art teacher and had it settled when, a week before my first art ass was due (which of course i hadnt started) it was brought to me atention that, i couldnt drop art, because to be eligable for a uai, you must be doing at least 4 different subjects,
so as you can imagine i was pretty pissed
but i dealt, then halfway through this term, i decided that ext eng 2 was just not going to cut it, and i spoke to my teachers ready to drop it, then a poor performance in the trials made me think even a band 3 in english ext 2, may help, so im still doing it (grudgingly)
anyway, i just thought id write this because, i dont think anyone has dropped and picked up more subjects than me!
if your thinking about dropping a subject, my advice is, give it some time, dont make panic decsisions, speak to your teachers and your friends, but know that its what you feel that really matters
think about your workload, anymore than 11 units, is a lot of work, especially if they're extension units, but if you love what you do keep it, if you don't drop it
a lot of students make contingency planse, they say things like, we'll i want to do 12 units bacuse than if i stuff up in one subject, ill be ok
i think that is the most stupid thing you can do, you're far better off working really hard with 10 or 11 units, than spreading your study time over 12, 'just in case'
if you do your work, and are we'll prepared you won't stuff up

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Originally posted by Chang

also im gonna try pick up cosmology (dunno if it counts to the UAI)
You can only do cosmology if you're at least a year accelerated in at least one subject.

Actuarial Boy
HSC
better work hard grk everything counts for u~!

Tenille

the one & only
HSC
hehehehehe Catholic studies what a waste of time, i don't think i could put up with 2 years of that brainwashing. SOR is so much better (compared to catholic)

Actuarial Boy
HSC
damn im glad i dont go to christian/catholic high school

even though i am a christian i just cant stand studying something like religion ... wots it like tenille?

Tenille

the one & only
HSC
Its alright, its not just all a catholic brainwashing (well most of it), you do get to learn a bit about other religions, but it does have a bit of history in it probley not your thing:p. It depends on the topic really...

But yuck catholic studies i would just end up walking out of that.

But yeah it can go off the track a bit lol at talking about Jesus having abs. such an attractive man, in some peoples opinion anyway

Actuarial Boy
HSC
hahaha coool the off topic stuff sounds interesting

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
be careful choosing the major work subjects.. dear god.

i did sdd, ext 2 english and ext music... that's three major works, as well as the not-so-major project stuff you do for music 2 (composition and/or essay and performance). i dropped ext music 'cause it was just too much.

it's good if you're organised, actually... you get most of your workload out of the way by the trials. but if you're disorganised like me it's just.. argh.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
I know everything counts for me and I'm so scared. lol Coz people keep scaring me!!

Catholic studies is ridiculous, but I didn't want to have to work, thats why I chose it. It's only three times a fortnight and next year I'm not really going to turn up. lol Just spend the period in the library doing my ext 2 project.

~V~

Gold Member?
HSC
N/A
Is it a bad idea to do 10 units in Year 12?

Because I wanted to do
-Eng Ext 2
-History Extension
-Drama
-Studies of Religion I

I thought that was a fairly balanced timetable, but others seem to think that you need something to fall back on- as in 11 or 12 units. I disagreed, saying that if you were putting in the effort it might as well count, but i wasn't so sure.
Any advice??

jacQ

if you reckon you can do good in all those subjects i don't see why not...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)