Picking up science again in uni WITHOUT a bridging course? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hello everyone,

Long story short, I had a really bad teacher who screwed up my foundations in science and subsequently made me hate it and not try all, before dropping it at the end of year 10. Now that I've grown up a bit and have developed an interest in science, I'd really like to pick it back up at university. Current study plans are Combined Arts/Science degree.

Some majors (in a BSci degree) I'm considering right now are:
- Anatomy and Histology
- Chemistry
- Mathematics
- Psychology

... Is going straight to university without having done science in the HSC years possible? From what I've heard picking up science without a bridging course is hella hard (but then again I've also heard doing a bridging course is hella hard,) and I know myself I'm not disciplined enough (lol too lazy) to knuckle down and study during the post-HSC holidays. I don't mind doing a bit of extra reading though, and if I have to learn stuff like the calculations in Chemistry and all that... any books that anyone can recommend to make the transition easier?

Any advice/tips/personal stories would be greatly appreciated =] Thank you!! ^^

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
If you are planning on Anatomy and Histology at USyd you are recommended to do first year subjects including Molecular Biology, Chemistry, Biology and Psychology but mainly biology and psychology if you plan it well and do well (some of the units at USyd will require prerequisites and a certain grade). It is recommended to have some background knowledge for each unit but its not necessary, I heard of people not having done physics or chemistry during high school and scraped a pass at uni. But it is recommended to do the bridging course or perhaps during the break after HSC just read up on it (as much as you can). As for the Anatomy and Histology elsewhere I would not know.

EDIT/ADD ON: First year Psychology isn't difficult. When I did it the unit had only touched upon the basics of science.

Last edited:

sweetalmond

HSC
N/A
Some books:
Chemistry and Contexts
Excel Biology/ Chemistry
Cambridge Mathematics
Fitzpatrick Mathematics 2 unit

Chemistry - Silberberg
Human Biology 6th edition.
You can find books on Human biology and histology from book depository, uni libraries. Human biology textbooks are key to having a basis for uni.
I would still recommend you do a couple of bridging courses, even if its hard and expensive, hopefully it will help you retain some knowledge. Bridging courses will be the best help in transitioning through these subjects. Year 12 content is basically covered in the first few weeks of uni.

Last edited:
HSC
I didn't do any science in high school and had anatomy and physiology subjects for first and second semester. I remember it being a little difficult for weeks 2-3 when they went through basic chemistry and biology but it was easy to pick up on if you focused during lectures and had a decent study routine. Anyway if you enjoy what you're learning and are willing to study the content you will do well. I didn't take any bridging courses and got a distinction for anat/physiology 1 in semester one and a high distinction in anat/physiology 2 in semester two :)

thedemonpk3r

HSC
Hey guys, just wondering if any of you could give me guidance with this matter... im choosing b of sci at usyd, and am willing to major in anat/hist and physiology. Recommended first year subjects are biology related ones, however i did not do bio in hsc... and i cant do the bridging courses due to being overseas.!!! what is the best thing i can do???

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
Hey guys, just wondering if any of you could give me guidance with this matter... im choosing b of sci at usyd, and am willing to major in anat/hist and physiology. Recommended first year subjects are biology related ones, however i did not do bio in hsc... and i cant do the bridging courses due to being overseas.!!! what is the best thing i can do???
You will need BIOL1003 and some other BIOL subjects for most ANAT units second year onwards. PSYC1001/1002 is needed for ANAT2010 and some NEUR units in third year. You will need some background knowledge of molecular biology and biochemistry (junior and intermediate levels) for HSTO and EMHU in third year. ANAT and HSTO major/discipline is actually flexible meaning you don't have to do all ANAT/HSTO units in third year to major in it. You can branch off and do some NEUR and EMHU units if you would like/dare. But be aware that ANAT and HSTO units have prerequisites where you must meet a certain grade eg. Forensic Osteology, some HSTO practicals and theory units and dissection (yes, you get to dissect) opportunities during the summer and in ANAT3004.

As for Physiology I can only give you little guidance. But my friends who did it needed to have BIOL1003, MBLG1001 plus some CHEM and did a mixture of PHSI, ANAT and BCHM in second year to progress into third year.

BUT you don't really need to worry too much about bridging courses because BIOL1001/1002 are fundamentals and the same goes for CHEM1001/1002. BIOL1003 is easy to get your head around too (it wasn't difficult but I recommend having a group of lab partners that can help you). Since you are overseas you can always read up on some biology concepts. All the best ~

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)