Pilot (1 Viewer)

qf11bd

HSC
Hello,

My career path goal is to become a commercial pilot and in my preliminary course am doing 2U Mathematics, Advanced English, Physics, Business Studies, Music and Ancient History (I plan on dropping Ancient History next year). I'm having a bit of a struggle with 2U marks at the moment (mid 60's) and was thinking of dropping down to General if my marks don't improve by the end of the year (yes I am revising what I have done wrong, and am giving a lot of time in working on things I don't understand)...I was wondering if anyone knew how this might affect my career path (if doing general may cripple my chances of becoming a commercial pilot)?

I currently am getting an average of 84% in all my subjects (not including maths) which from what I've heard would be a reasonable ATAR, but Maths is the only thing that is really letting it down.

Thanks for the help!

planino

HSC
QF 11: A380 on the SYD - LAX route ?? :) Hello fellow plane-fan

unfortunately it's not as easy in Australia to become a pilot :/ But it's still possible.
I shouldn't be talking since I'm not the best at maths either, but the main thing maths needs is practice. Personally I'm not entirely comfortable with MX1 either. General is a different course and some of the content is different to the 2UAdv course, so you'll have to relearn it. Ask your teacher for help, maybe even email (to their det email, every teacher should have one AFAIK) your questions to them

Youtube is a great place to learn (can be distracting though, but don't let it get to you), and so is this very website :)
http://hscnotes.weebly.com/notes3.html some decent maths notes can be found here (I think they're Y12, but studying ahead for maths is one of the best things to do)

An average of 84% is quite okay at this stage, but ranks are what matters (don't sabotage your grade).

qf11bd

HSC
QF 11: A380 on the SYD - LAX route ?? :) Hello fellow plane-fan

unfortunately it's not as easy in Australia to become a pilot :/ But it's still possible.
I shouldn't be talking since I'm not the best at maths either, but the main thing maths needs is practice. Personally I'm not entirely comfortable with MX1 either. General is a different course and some of the content is different to the 2UAdv course, so you'll have to relearn it. Ask your teacher for help, maybe even email (to their det email, every teacher should have one AFAIK) your questions to them

Youtube is a great place to learn (can be distracting though, but don't let it get to you), and so is this very website :)
http://hscnotes.weebly.com/notes3.html some decent maths notes can be found here (I think they're Y12, but studying ahead for maths is one of the best things to do)

An average of 84% is quite okay at this stage, but ranks are what matters (don't sabotage your grade).
Yes it was my first A380 flight haha :)

I am studying up and revising what I'm struggling with, so I'm gonna try and improve my marks into the high 70's and 80's (hopefully).

Thanks for that link too, found quite helpful notes on mathematics.

(P.S I have a couple of possible references by employees that are quite senior at Qantas which would improve my chances by the slightest of bits as I'm told haha)

Thankyou for the reply!

planino

HSC
I hope it all works out for you and maths, you seem determined (gimme some of that determination. I'm supposed to be writing out an english speech right now). You'll find plenty of useful notes here, or just post a thread and help will be provided, that's the beauty of this website (although it's too damn easy to get carried away)

Although it's really common right now, you're really lucky to be able to board an A380! I was supposed to board one on SIN - SYD QF 32, but a 744 was scheduled instead :( (still a lovely fight though)

haha, GL with that pilot dream of yours, it really is one heck of a profession :)

asadass

HSC
Uni Grad
I'd suggest keeping 2 unit maths until the end of this year. My marks have improved considerably since the start of year 11 to where i am now and the same could happen for you. I'd also suggest getting a tutor.

qf11bd

HSC
I hope it all works out for you and maths, you seem determined (gimme some of that determination. I'm supposed to be writing out an english speech right now). You'll find plenty of useful notes here, or just post a thread and help will be provided, that's the beauty of this website (although it's too damn easy to get carried away)

Although it's really common right now, you're really lucky to be able to board an A380! I was supposed to board one on SIN - SYD QF 32, but a 744 was scheduled instead :( (still a lovely fight though)

haha, GL with that pilot dream of yours, it really is one heck of a profession :)

Thanks for all of your help, its really assisted me as to keep focussed on achieving my goals.

I actually do prefer the 747 over the A380 (die hard 747 fan :p) but loved the flight to LA.

Thanks again, and all the best!

qf11bd

HSC
I'd suggest keeping 2 unit maths until the end of this year. My marks have improved considerably since the start of year 11 to where i am now and the same could happen for you. I'd also suggest getting a tutor.
Thanks for the reply, I'll keep at it and see how I go :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)