PIP questions (1 Viewer)

Davii

HSC
Hey, I'm new here so take it easy on me. I'm not sure if these questions have been answered, or if they're relevant to this topic.

Firstly, I wanted to do my pip on how games have progressed over the past decade, and how they affect people (physically, emotionally, socially)

Secondly, I wanted to make reference to the growing population of gamers. I wanted to make it evident that it is slowly but surely becoming less and less "Uncool" to play games

And thirdly, I'd like to make reference to game ratings, this way
I cover the "Age" aspect.

Now, my questions are the following:

What can my PIP question be?

Where can I research information about the progress of Gaming?

How can I do Primary research?

How do i back up any research i find, being that there have been (to my knowledge) no studies on the topic so far.

By the way I'm not aiming to get WHOAH AWESOME marks, I just wanna complete the damned thing so that i don't fail hsc. ty in advance!:D

p.s. If i'm in the wrong topic, redirect me to another topic please. Thanks again.

mjones14

HSC
Firstly, topic = good

But, I don't like your direction (my opinion, which doesn't really matter). To me, it sound's like you want to give a history of games. Maybe you could consider whether the gaming culture is a reflection on society, or focus on the whole censorship drama about games occurring at the moment.

Do some research, trust me, it will help in finding a focus area, then you can get into it and might actually start to enjoy it. Or not ...

Davii

HSC
Firstly, topic = good

But, I don't like your direction (my opinion, which doesn't really matter). To me, it sound's like you want to give a history of games. Maybe you could consider whether the gaming culture is a reflection on society, or focus on the whole censorship drama about games occurring at the moment.

Do some research, trust me, it will help in finding a focus area, then you can get into it and might actually start to enjoy it. Or not ...
thanks, but could you maybe elaborate a bit? i've done a little researching, but how would i find primary research? like who could i interview or something? sorry our teacher was a bit vague on the details.

57o1i

Premium Member
HSC
General topic seems interesting. To avoid just giving a history of gaming's growing acceptance into mainstream, thogh, you might want to amp up your cross cultural component eg looking at possible gender conflicts in gaming communities or, like mjones14 said, talking about the censorship debate or maybe doing some research into the cultural norms (eg language) adopted by strong gaming communities.

There have definitely been studies on gaming before since it's a phenomenon that has attracted a lot of attention with the rise of internet communication and concerns over desenitisation to violence.

As for primary research you can conduct interviews if you know any friends who are gamers, you can distribute an online questionnaire in a gaming community or you can have a focus group of peers to gauge attitudes towards gamers. You can also undertake participant observation (though don't just rely on this methodology) by joining some of these groups online.

ETA: I just ran an extremely quick search for "gaming culture" on my uni (USYD) library catalogue and came up with a fair few results which look like they'd be helpful. Consider visiting a few uni libraries and/or the State library to get some academic sources.

Last edited:

57o1i

Premium Member
HSC
Also maybe you want to get a move on considering that you're about to start term 2 and the whole thing is due term 3?

Davii

HSC
thanks guys. also i'm totally aware that i need to hurry up. just needed a kick start. we had a travel teacher for society and culture for 3 terms. it was ridiculous. THANKS SO MUCH FOR ALL THE HELP. put it into perspective for me. <3

Brista

HSC
dont worry about having to start.. i mean, if you are like me, i am more motivated to do it all at one time.. (and i get pre decent marks) rather than do bits slowly and step by step...

goodluck with it all
pick a question and keeep thinking about it.. i have found the more i thnk aout my question, the more options come to my head so when i sit down to put it all dwon, the topic wont be foreign and it woll sound half decent.

but do try and get started soon..
hsc joy.. cant wait for it all to be over haha
:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)