Plain packaging on cigarettes (1 Viewer)

Existential

HSC
N/A
"Responsible drinking" is just a slogan created and enforced by Big Alcohol and the Hotels/Clubs industry, just like we thought low-tar cigarettes were healthier 50 years ago

Even small amounts of alcohol consumed regularly have long term health effects. And besides, when was the last time someone smoked a few cigarettes and then got in a fight?
you're talking about a social issue with drinking. the only thing that attracts alcohol to people is the fact that its alcohol.
smoking is largely a health issue. it does not deserve to be advertised in any way shape or form. period.

Lentern

HSC
"Responsible drinking" is just a slogan created and enforced by Big Alcohol and the Hotels/Clubs industry, just like we thought low-tar cigarettes were healthier 50 years ago

Even small amounts of alcohol consumed regularly have long term health effects. And besides, when was the last time someone smoked a few cigarettes and then got in a fight?
When they weren't their cigarettes.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
you're talking about a social issue with drinking. the only thing that attracts alcohol to people is the fact that its alcohol.
smoking is largely a health issue. it does not deserve to be advertised in any way shape or form. period.
Wait.
So smoking being a health risk doesn't deserve to be advertised but drinking does?
Even though drinking is a health risk in many more ways?
You don't binge smoke and then jump off a roof.

Jimmy Recard

Banned
HSC
People who start smoking at a young age wouldn't buy it. They'd get somebody to do it for them and then the appeal of the packaging would have its effect. Tbqh i would prefer phasing them out through prohibition laws in x amount of years, but i guess these small steps punishing the smoking industry are okay for now. Anyone who argues that smokes deserve consumer packaging is a retard imho.
that is definitely (not) why they start smoking

the packaging

on what grounds could you justify banning smoking

Blastus

Liberty Matrix
HSC
N/A
Because I was replying to the question of alcohol versus cigarettes.
Cancer council classifies alcohol as being as dangerous a carcinogen as cigarettes

your move Lenty

Lentern

HSC
Cancer council classifies alcohol as being as dangerous a carcinogen as cigarettes

your move Lenty
Well I'm not a carcinogenic scientist but I'm under the impression that the list of illness' linked to Tobacco is somewhat higher than alcohol. Plus for all I've read I'm yet to hear someone explain how any pleasure is derived from cigarettes beyond the simple pleasure of satisfying an addiction. Alcohol and indeed many illegal substances I can at least see the attraction to. Tobacco just seems to make you addicted and sick. And yes I have tried it.

Jimmy Recard

Banned
HSC
everything should be judged based upon the quantifiable utility that people derive from it

ban everything but heroin

Jimmy Recard

Banned
HSC
how hard is it to acknowledge that depriving people the right to do (or smoke) whatever they want, is a bad thing

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
using violence to involuntarily protect people from themselves fuck yeah

Jimmy Recard

Banned
HSC
should we ban sports that have a history of causing death

sports have a very high cost on society due to the injuries caused

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)