Please! Freaking out (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hi there,
Am currently a Yr 11 student. I'm considering picking up 4 unit maths next yr but am not sure as to the difficulty and possibility of doing well? I'm a really hard worker and do pretty well in Maths. Can I cope with the following subjects combined that I've planned to select in yr 12:
- Biology
- Advanced English
-Society and Culture
- 4 unit maths

IS it really so hard to pass? Any advice or recommendations...maybe as to tutoring options as well?
Thank you guys! Really stressing

tonynho

HSC
I don't do Maths but I know for a fact that Math Extension 2 scales like a monster. So even if you get an underwhelming score like 60-70 (correct me if I'm wrong), your marks will be brought up. But since you seem to like Maths, go for it :)

HSC
I don't do Maths but I know for a fact that Math Extension 2 scales like a monster. So even if you get an underwhelming score like 60-70 (correct me if I'm wrong), your marks will be brought up. But since you seem to like Maths, go for it :)
Yes I hear the scaling's amazing, but what use would it be if I stressed so much, couldn't handle the pressure and bombed out in the exam? :(

Aysce

HSC
Hi there,
Am currently a Yr 11 student. I'm considering picking up 4 unit maths next yr but am not sure as to the difficulty and possibility of doing well? I'm a really hard worker and do pretty well in Maths. Can I cope with the following subjects combined that I've planned to select in yr 12:
- Biology
- Advanced English
-Society and Culture
- 4 unit maths

IS it really so hard to pass? Any advice or recommendations...maybe as to tutoring options as well?
Thank you guys! Really stressing
In my opinion, as long as you take the right approach to learning 4u maths ie. Understanding what you're doing, you should be fine. Don't even attempt to rote-learn because it hardly helps like in my case. If you find 4u difficult, you may consider getting a tutor or dedicating more time to the subject. The HSC is all about time management - if you can conquer that hurdle then I think you should be fine. There are people doing EX2, MX2, Physics and Chemistry which is quite demanding so OP, don't stress too much and if you can't cope, you always have the option to drop :)

HSC
In my opinion, as long as you take the right approach to learning 4u maths ie. Understanding what you're doing, you should be fine. Don't even attempt to rote-learn because it hardly helps like in my case. If you find 4u difficult, you may consider getting a tutor or dedicating more time to the subject. The HSC is all about time management - if you can conquer that hurdle then I think you should be fine. There are people doing EX2, MX2, Physics and Chemistry which is quite demanding so OP, don't stress too much and if you can't cope, you always have the option to drop :)
Thank you! But the problem is I can't drop because all my subjects add to 10 units. If i drop to 2 unit, then I'd have 8 units and not be able to sit the hsc. The reason why I'm worried so much is because once I'm in, there's no getting out if I can't cope! :eek:

Aysce

HSC
Thank you! But the problem is I can't drop because all my subjects add to 10 units. If i drop to 2 unit, then I'd have 8 units and not be able to sit the hsc. The reason why I'm worried so much is because once I'm in, there's no getting out if I can't cope! :eek:
What subjects are you doing at the moment? Name them all.

HSC
What subjects are you doing at the moment? Name them all.
I'm doing advanced english, Extension english, extension maths, bio, chem, society and culture. Thinking of dropping chem and english extension 1 and taking up 4 unit next year.

HSC
I'm doing advanced english, Extension english, extension maths, bio, chem, society and culture. Thinking of dropping chem and english extension 1 and taking up 4 unit next year.
Also want to point out that I want to study medicine or psychology after school! :)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
How about dropping either chem or ee1 first? Then trying MX2 for a bit and seeing how you go (I reckon you'll be fine, the scaling is amazing) and then you are not locked in and once you are sure on 4units and your other subs, you can always drop chem/ee1 whatever one you kept over the first drop.

HSC
How about dropping either chem or ee1 first? Then trying MX2 for a bit and seeing how you go (I reckon you'll be fine, the scaling is amazing) and then you are not locked in and once you are sure on 4units and your other subs, you can always drop chem/ee1 whatever one you kept over the first drop.
Thank you! That's a good idea :) I'll keep extension english for a while until I'm certain after 4 unit, and then if it's too much of a struggle, I'll drop to 3 unit and keep extension english.. so that's still 10 units :) Thanks for that!

HSC
Btw, do I have to be an extraordinary, outstanding and naturally talented student to be able to handle it? Or is hard work mixed with a decent amount of talent and ambition well enough to get me through? :)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Btw, do I have to be an extraordinary, outstanding and naturally talented student to be able to handle it? Or is hard work mixed with a decent amount of talent and ambition well enough to get me through? :)
Most MX2ers are hardworkers-if you're doing solidly in 3u in yr 11, no reason for you not to be capable of it.

Aysce

HSC
The latter. Just make sure you learn the concepts properly and in-depth - make sure you're able to tackle any question they throw at you.

deswa1

HSC
Definitely the latter. I won't lie and say that everyone can get 98 in MX2 if they work heaps hard but definitely- hard work is the main ingredient. I think you'll be fine. Good luck!

HSC
The latter. Just make sure you learn the concepts properly and in-depth - make sure you're able to tackle any question they throw at you.
I'll try my best :) But is it true that they can throw questions at you that are extremely difficult to answer and interpret, and that you can't really prepare for the last few questions? Is it true that it is intellect alone that can get you through the last ones?

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Find your subject combination strange. Are you doing only 4 subjects currently? What courses at uni do you hope to pursue with those subjects? Why are you doing Society & Culture, interesting though it may be?

It is not unusual for students to be lost as to what subjects they should choose on entering Yr 11.

Last edited:

RishBonjour

HSC
I'll try my best :) But is it true that they can throw questions at you that are extremely difficult to answer and interpret, and that you can't really prepare for the last few questions? Is it true that it is intellect alone that can get you through the last ones?
you clearly have a lot of questions. Most "average" 4u students don't even AIM to complete the whole paper. Because, frankly speaking, you don't need to to get an outstanding result. Obviously the last few questions will be extremely challenging.
It would probably be best if you do 12 units for a few weeks and see if you like 4u and can handle the workload along with your other subjects.
I was in your situation and I picked up 4 unit maths (did 12 units for 1st term). I ended up dedicating too much time into it so i dropped it (despite getting quite high in class tests because ultimately its about getting a good ATAR not smashing one subject and flopping the rest)

Also scaling won't do shit if you suck at 4u. A friend of mine did tutoring for 4u and was a fairly dedicated student but the teachers urged him to drop it because he wasn't coping (but he persisted). He ended up with a 67 HSC mark for EX2. which is pretty shit.

So try it and see how you go! :)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
The last question or two of the maths paper are always the differentiators-keep in mind people who can get out the last question/second last question are often high 90s material, often state rankers. It's all about applying knowledge more abstractly there. Often if you keep a calm head about it, you might be able to do the first step or pick up with a proof and do part of it or something. You can practice past papers to get as much experience with the vast amount of harder Qs, but granted with 4U often only the very best (combo of very talented at maths and hard work) can get the whole last Q out. You can definitely prepare well for all Qs of the paper though. But getting good marks in the first few questions even if you fail out at the last few in MX2 will still reward you handsomely. (A raw slight fail gets aligned up to low 80s-the scaling on this is great).

HSC
Can I just ask, if I'm pretty bad at measurement,volume etc... does that mean I'm incapable of doing 4 unit? You don't have to be the smartest student to do good,do you? :)

Nws m8

Banned
HSC
Uni Grad
Math Extension 2 does boost up your ATAR ONLY if you do good in it!
I know people who pick 4u and have this misconception that it will scale them up even if they do shit....

The test is not that hard imo, just work hard and you will pass :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)