Please help! Band 6 related texts for Emily Dickinson (1 Viewer)

Corinne Gard

HSC
Hello all!

I am searching for suggestions of related texts from past students who have recieved band 6's in English Advanced and who studied Emily Dickinson's poetry. This way, I will know that I am on the right track and should I work hard, there is a possibility of me recieving a band 6 this year.

During the holidays before term 4, I read a novel (based on my teacher's reccommendation) called 'White Teeth,' by Zadie Smith, which I subsequently analysed with the aim of using it as my prime related text for belonging. However, after studying Emily Dickinson last term, I have realised that:
1. I need to re-read the book in order to have a better understanding... and it's 542 pages!
2. There aren't incredibly strong links between the two texts.
3. White Teeth uses multiple narrators and so many storylines that it is proving nearly impossible to derive a clear summary and thesis from it.
4. My teacher's advice that "doing a long book is fine because you only need to re-read certain parts," was garbage.

Therefore, I am searching for a new related text to do that will allow complex analysis and links well.

Thankyou!

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Try shorter texts like Visuals, Feature Articles, Short Stories, etc.

Films aren't too bad either in terms of length.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I will chime in and say there is no such thing as "Band 6" related texts, only Band 6 level analysis for related texts which is irrespective of what you pick :)

Some people work things like picture books and get b6s, others long ass Russian novels, as long as you have good analysis on the related and link it well, that's what counts.

So I will ask, what aspects of belonging in Dickinson's poetry are you looking to highlight? Cause then we can help find a text that perhaps strengthens and/or offers a differing perspective on an aspect of belonging that will go really well with your prescribed text.

DamTameNaken

HSC
Your related text is only relevant to Paper 1 section C. In that section you should be writing about 1000 words and 40% of that should be dedicated to your related text i.e. 400 words of analysis. Unless 'white teeth' is written in the style of finnegans wake then 400 words should be very doable. You should probably look at practice papers to see what is required and what isn't.

I'm not going to recommend any related texts because it doesn't matter what you choose.

feuilleton

HSC
Try shorter texts like Visuals, Feature Articles, Short Stories, etc.

Films aren't too bad either in terms of length.
Whilst achieving a Band 6 isn't reliant entirely upon your choice of related text, it's not making your job easier by picking Visuals or more simplistic feature articles/SS' etc which are inherently more difficult in yielding the sophistication required for a top band response.

On another note, I studied Dickinson and used Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath - long read but I cheated and only used bits.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)