Please help with creative journey writing (1 Viewer)

sparkles121

HSC
Ok, so my teacher has just given us a task to do. A creative writing piece, an area which i certainly do not excel in! The task is to write a journeys 600 word creative response "It was a journey I would never forget" :bomb:

Ok it doesn't sound that hard but Im not the sort of person who can just make up a awesome story on the spot, besides all my storys just become to cliched!!! :confused:

Please help in getting my started, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thnx :)

spasticpirate

HSC
I definately agree. I just finished my creative writing piece today in preparation for my trial exams, and i based mine on an overseas trip i have just come back from. But i found that it was important to remember that you need an introduction, a complication, a solution, and an ending that dosn't necessarily suprise the reader, but leaves them with something to remember. So try to think of something that has happenned to you that you have learnt from, or something that you have heard or read, and start from there.

Hope that helps.

HSC
another method could be off a dream. Sometimes you have dreams which stick well for a few days, and generate some good ideas, but that is a bit of a stretch. The idea of a life experience is good, but being that we are high schoolers, what story have you experienced. Hmm, probably a quick one would be relationships? Relate it to conflict and how the conflict changes, emotionally, spiritually, physically, and how the views changed after the conflict (character development).

Though it is sometimes hard to incorporate it all together.

doobee

HSC
If you have trouble with creativity, think of it as a formula response. My teacher says that there are three aspects being assessed in the AOS writing section:
1. Your understading of the concept of journey. So make sure that the story is about a journey and that it has something to say or a perspective of the journey to communicate. Don't write the cliche of the "Year twelve journey", too many people do that, markers get bored reading the same thing, unless you have a very fresh perspective.
2. Voice. This is the way you tell the story, how well you communicate its meaning and the effectiveness of your voice. Don't write from the perspective of an animal or a child unless you are really experienced because the sophistication of your language will not be as high.
3. Craftsmanship. This is the devices you use to convey the concept of journey, such as similie, metaphor, and aliteration (there are heaps more). However it is also how well the writing piece flows together. Paragraphing, punctuation and spelling are also important.

Most importantly, I think that you need to write from the heart. Personal experience is a good idea, and you could also explore a personal experience through an extended metaphor or talk about an imaginative journey or an inner journey you have experienced.

Make your beginning and end very punchy, it will make your overall piece very catchy, and use descriptive and sensual (as in appealing to all senses, talk about smells, sounds and tastes as well as what you can see) imagery.

Write often and edit and evaluate everything you write, but don't throw it out if you don't like it. Practise is the key, you don't have to write a publishable writing piece in order to do well.

Good luck!

ally147

HSC
doobee said:
If you have trouble with creativity, think of it as a formula response. My teacher says that there are three aspects being assessed in the AOS writing section:
1. Your understading of the concept of journey. So make sure that the story is about a journey and that it has something to say or a perspective of the journey to communicate. Don't write the cliche of the "Year twelve journey", too many people do that, markers get bored reading the same thing, unless you have a very fresh perspective.
2. Voice. This is the way you tell the story, how well you communicate its meaning and the effectiveness of your voice. Don't write from the perspective of an animal or a child unless you are really experienced because the sophistication of your language will not be as high.
3. Craftsmanship. This is the devices you use to convey the concept of journey, such as similie, metaphor, and aliteration (there are heaps more). However it is also how well the writing piece flows together. Paragraphing, punctuation and spelling are also important.

Most importantly, I think that you need to write from the heart. Personal experience is a good idea, and you could also explore a personal experience through an extended metaphor or talk about an imaginative journey or an inner journey you have experienced.

Make your beginning and end very punchy, it will make your overall piece very catchy, and use descriptive and sensual (as in appealing to all senses, talk about smells, sounds and tastes as well as what you can see) imagery.

Write often and edit and evaluate everything you write, but don't throw it out if you don't like it. Practise is the key, you don't have to write a publishable writing piece in order to do well.

Good luck!

Is that not the most helpful thing i've heard??
Thanks a lot.......

I did a creative writing task yesterday and the teacher said....quote... "it was crap" lol but i wasn't the only one... Im writing it again today so these points will be ever so handy....THANKS SO MUCH!!!

ally147

HSC
doobee said:

Good luck!

Is that not the most helpful thing i've heard??
Thanks a lot.......

I did a creative writing task yesterday and the teacher said....quote... "it was crap" lol but i wasn't the only one... Im writing it again today so these points will be ever so handy....THANKS SO MUCH!!!

Bijs

HSC
omg double poster!!!

*gets the blow-torch ready*

HSC
first things first- doesn't have to be an imaginative journey- can be any journey, just make the journey concept clear. I wrote a journey story- its there on the forums somewhere and post if it helps you. Have a read of it, might help you a bit in getting ideas- as people said personal experiences are always good(the one i did had aspects which were true). If you can provide a twist or something dramatic at the end the markers are generally impressed, also obviously the general techniques woven will help score better marks, the secret is practise and if you get a stimulus which you can use your prepared story that's a bonus (and i was lucky as i was able to).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)