Please help :) (1 Viewer)

pjiggy

HSC
Just a quick question regarding transfers:

I have done three years of animal science at USYD(its a 4 year course) but my family is moving to Melbourne so I've managed to get a transfer to the Bachelor of Agriculture at Melbourne uni for 2013. The thing is, I want to transfer into the Bachelor of Science at Melbourne uni after doing a year of agriculture at melb.So my plan is to do agriculture at melbourne uni for this year then try for a transfer into science at melb in 2014.
I just want to know whether the uni will look at my three years worth of results from USYD or just focus on my first year results from the Bachelor of Ag at Melbourne uni when i apply in 2014.
My ATAR was 97, 7 points above the cutoff for science at melb uni if that helps.
Do uni's generally look at the results from your most recent university or the whole academic record?
I ask this as i did not do very well at USYD and so i would prefer they just look at my first year results from melbourne uni .
Im sorry if this is confusing and thanks to anyone who helps !

Last edited:

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
Just a quick question regarding transfers:

I have done three years of animal science at USYD(its a 4 year course) but my family is moving to Melbourne so I've managed to get a transfer to the Bachelor of Agriculture at Melbourne uni for 2013. The thing is, I want to transfer into the Bachelor of Science at Melbourne uni after doing a year of agriculture at melb.So my plan is to do agriculture at melbourne uni for this year then try for a transfer into science at melb in 2014.
I just want to know whether the uni will look at my three years worth of results from USYD or just focus on my first year results from the Bachelor of Ag at Melbourne uni when i apply in 2014.
My ATAR was 97, 7 points above the cutoff for science at melb uni if that helps.
Do uni's generally look at the results from your most recent university or the whole academic record?
I ask this as i did not do very well at USYD and so i would prefer they just look at my first year results from melbourne uni .
Im sorry if this is confusing and thanks to anyone who helps !
Hmm... depending on what units you studied in the Bachelor of Animal Science, some of these units might be in the Agricultural Science/B. Science course! So I guess you won't have to study these again.
Since you're still an undergrad (didn't complete a degree yet) I think the uni would look at a combination of academic results ranging from your outstanding atar as well as your performance in the animal science degree.
IMO, I don't think it would be very diffcult to transfer from any degree into a B. Science, unless your talking abt medicine or law- another story -.-
If you maintain a credit gpa, then you could easily transfer into B. Science I heard. This is what I was told at info. day! I may be wrong!

pjiggy

HSC
Thank you so much for the great reply :)
I emailed the course co-ordinator for B.Science and he said i would need at least a 70 WAM to be considered for a transfer which is a credit and not too hard. But the problem is, my WAM at usyd was only about sixty-something so I'm scared that will drag my overall academic results down even if i get all high distinctions or something this year.
I guess ill just have to work hard and see !
Again thank you, your info helped a lot !

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey, nws :)
Have faith in yourself. If you got a 97 atar, the sky is the limit for you!
Try your best this year to get HD's (as many as possible) to maximise your gpa.
Even if you just miss the credit gpa cut-off or come very close to it, i.e 68; you have a strong chance as a 'USYD' student. Though this also may depend on the 'demand' of the course.
May I ask, what do you want to be in the future? Are you aiming for post-grad dent/medicine or a genuine career in the science/health field. I mean, it seems like a waste of your atar (97) if you're just considering a science degree, unless you choose it for the passion of studying science! Anyways, all the best with your future studies and I do hope you get what you want :)

Last edited:

pjiggy

HSC
I'm hoping to get into the Doctor of Veterinary Medicine because they have a pathway through the Bachelor of Science. I was only a point off vet at usyd and I did get a vet offer interstate two years ago but I was so stupid I decided to reject it and now I'm trying again !
It's stupid because I got 7 points above the cutoff for B.Science at Melbourne but they don't consider my atar anymore so i feel like i wasted it :(
Thanks for the words of encouragement though,the way I see it I can't turn back time so I may as well work hard and when I end up in the course I want, a few years more won't make any difference.
Thank you again, you're awesome !

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm hoping to get into the Doctor of Veterinary Medicine because they have a pathway through the Bachelor of Science. I was only a point off vet at usyd and I did get a vet offer interstate two years ago but I was so stupid I decided to reject it and now I'm trying again !
It's stupid because I got 7 points above the cutoff for B.Science at Melbourne but they don't consider my atar anymore so i feel like i wasted it :(
Thanks for the words of encouragement though,the way I see it I can't turn back time so I may Hmm,as well work hard and when I end up in the course I want, a few years more won't make any difference.
Thank you again, you're awesome !
Hey nws :)
Remember that everything happens for a reason and thinking that you wasted your atar will only make things worst and will side track you from your focus. IMO, wht you should do nw is to plan for the years ahead, look for some 1st year B. Science notes from ppl or friends you know and start going through the content. By doing this, you would give yourself an extra edge over other students in the course! But I assume you should have that "extra edge" as you have already been to uni and know hw things work, so maybe you'll learn from your mistakes and improve your scores. If you get a good gpa next year in b. science, I would encourage you to also apply at JCU for Vet. science. The good thing abt this is that the 'written' component is heavily weighted by JCU and you may get in with a decent gpa if your written application sells your passion and desire to do the course well. So try your luck at the uni in melbourne and also apply for JCU. Keep trying as you will get there one day and dnt lose faith in your ability. If you can pull off an atar of 97, then getting into vet should be a piece of cake for you. Its just that you probably slacked off in uni which affected your ability to perform.
I hope that you get into the course and you seem very passionate abt it :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)