Poetry- how many in an essay? (1 Viewer)

stacey**

HSC
hi all,
i was just wondering, i am studying imaginative journeys and we did Coleridge's poems as our prescribed text. I was wondering if anyone actually knew how many poems we are meant to discuss in our area of study essay. Since we only have 40mins to write about prescirbed, stimulus booklet and related text, i figured i couldn't be expected to discuss all as there is not time. Is one in detail with a short reference to another recommended, or 2 in detail, or 2 in detail with reference to another? Any suggestions would be extremely helpful. Thanks so much.
stacey xx

Riviet

HSC
N/A
If your prescribed text(s) is PS's poems, then you need to do two in detail of PS's poems, plus a stimulus booket text and at least one other related text of your choice for the AOS essay.

P

pLuvia

2-3 compulsory text (only for poems)
1 stimulus
1 related text

But before you actually do the HSC exam, it would be recommended if you know at least 3 poems, and like 2 - 4 related text in detail

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
coleridge --> AT MOST 3 poems AT LEAST 2 poems
related text --> AT MOST 3 AT LEAST 1
stimulus --> 1 and 1 only! --> this serves as a springboard into the other texts.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Can't they ask to generalise about all the poems if they really wanted to be evil? They could specify or they might not.

I remember in my HSC (last year) for Gwen Harwood, a lot of ppl were surprised that they asked for 3 poems instead of the usual 2.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
seremify007 said:
Can't they ask to generalise about all the poems if they really wanted to be evil?
Correct if I'm wrong, but they haven never asked a question like this in the past? It's always been specific reference to a certain number of texts or at least a certain number. I guess they could ask a generalised question, but it's definitely out of the ordinary.

P

pLuvia

seremify007 said:
Can't they ask to generalise about all the poems if they really wanted to be evil? They could specify or they might not.

I remember in my HSC (last year) for Gwen Harwood, a lot of ppl were surprised that they asked for 3 poems instead of the usual 2.
My teacher said this could happen, but it is very unlikely. I hope they don't :p

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Riviet said:
Correct if I'm wrong, but they haven never asked a question like this in the past? It's always been specific reference to a certain number of texts or at least a certain number. I guess they could ask a generalised question, but it's definitely out of the ordinary.
Anything is possible =]

I heard that Std. English had ***** papers in the 2005 HSC... whereas most Adv. English students found the papers reasonably straightforward.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)