Political Science (1 Viewer)

alexvincent

HSC
I just wanted to know more about political science at uni.
What are some of the entry requirements for the course? What's the UAI cut off, prerequisites, assumed knowledge etc?
What are the future career prospects for those who get a degree in political science?
What are the assessments and exams like? Are they just packed with essays?

I'm in year 12 this year and am not exactly sure as to which course I would like to do in uni. I'm considering actuarial studies but I'm not certain yet so I wanted to learn more about political science.
My HSC subjects are: Adv Eng, Ext 2 Maths, Physics, Business Studies, Philosophy (Distinction Course).

Can anyone answer any of my questions? Perhaps a current political student?

Cheers.

lewdogs

HSC
hey man i am in the same boat as u, i would really like to get the lowdown on political science most importantly things like UAI and if newcastle uni does it eg.

also i know that political science has lots of available jobs in areas such as the UN(United Nations) and other world operating operations and that knowing french can be a really good bonus.. chinese and that would help to i think but yeah.. can anyone else help us out?

ohne

HSC
I think most people who study political science would major in it through a degree like bachelor of arts or bachelor of social science. You could probably study political science with actuarial studies in certain cases if a double degree was available like BA/BCom at UNSW. The UAI for a BA degree is generally not too high.

I am not a political science student although I studied one first year subject in political science at UNSW last year. The assessment and study invovled a lot of reading and a mixture of essays, exams and weekly readings.

I don't think there would be a huge amount of job opportunities relating to political science, I would recommend studying it in combination with something else if you're interested in it.

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
ohne said:
The assessment and study invovled a lot of reading and a mixture of essays, exams and weekly readings.
Yep.

I found political science or 'politics and international relations' at UNSW stimulating and rewarding.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
ohne said:
I don't think there would be a huge amount of job opportunities relating to political science, I would recommend studying it in combination with something else if you're interested in it.
Such as, dare I say it, law.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
political science amounts to what is called government and international relations at sydney uni. i am majoring in it. decent senior courses. would probably recommend it. you will need either a b eco/soc sci, b com, b com (lib studies). cutoffs are about 92-98

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
The UAI varies with each uni. At some unis it's offered under arts or social science. I don't know of any straight Political Science degree, so you just major in it. Combining political science with law is useful because they are related, and if you can't find a job with the former you have the latter to fall back on. There are all sorts of jobs with government departments or working with ministers etc. Political science is a lot of reading (more than law in my opinion). Business studies probably helps and philosophy will give you a good insight into thinking critically, and some philosophical thinkers (i.e J.S. Mill, Marx, Locke) also carry over into political studies.

I am not a politics student though, I did two subjects in my first year but favoured philosophy. I am though doing one more political unit next semester. If you major in arts just pick a few different subjects and decide which one you like. I found out when it came time to decide my major in arts that I preferred the subject I had chosen on a whim over the subjects I had been thinking about since high school (one of them being political science). And you can always change course, it's not hard.

ohne

HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
Such as, dare I say it, law.
I agree with you to some extent, athough with law I think it's simply due to the fact that too many people are studying law relative to the number of jobs that become available each year. There simply aren't many jobs that are related to political science, which is more of a problem.

At least most people studying law do so through a combined degree and I would recommend this path for anyone who wishes to study political science at university.

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
absolution* said:
political science amounts to what is called government and international relations at sydney uni. i am majoring in it. decent senior courses. would probably recommend it. you will need either a b eco/soc sci, b com, b com (lib studies). cutoffs are about 92-98
We can do Political Science in our USyd Commerce degree??

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
How hard is it hard to get into foreign affairs? After you've done, like IS?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)