• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Poll - do you care about poverty (1 Viewer)

How much do you care about extreme poverty?

• Im passionate about it

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • Yeah I care it upsets me

Votes: 57 51.4%
  • Haven't given it much thought

Votes: 15 13.5%
  • I couldnt care less

Votes: 19 17.1%

• Total voters

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Serius said:
something tells me you dont understand what poverty is... Poverty will always exist in a capitalist society[ not that iam against capitalism] it is the nature of capitalism that there alway shave to be rich people and poor people

the poverty stricket 5% are what makes the other comfortablr 95% possible
well poverty in a developed country is much different than pverty in a developin nation, in this sense u can improve the conditions in Africa.

Africa dont have the simple essentials, shelter, water, food, etc. they dont have access to proper a health system, policing etc. so its basics that needs to worked on, and this can be achieved by marketing Africa, huge advertisements.. getmore people to work in Africa and the problem can be solved.

The problem though will eventually be solved, just how long.

*Minka*

HSC
Of course I do. Everyone deserves to be able to eat, be educated and have a home.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
*Minka* said:
Of course I do. Everyone deserves to be able to eat, be educated and have a home.
everyone?-including hitler,einstein,planck, and the rest of the jews..

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
*Minka* said:
What if they refuse to work for it? What if they are able to work, able to find a job, but choose not to because they can sponge off welfare?

HSC
I'm not quite sure why, but in recent years I've developed something of a problem with seeing anyone go without, be it need or want. It upsets me a fair bit and I don't really have a clue why, but I'd very much like to see at least everyone's needs being catered for, and it bothers me somewhat that people in general can't get past their own existence to improve things for so many others. That goes for both cases of extreme poverty as well as the much more local variety which we often see.

Also, yes, I'm a poor student and can't really do much about it, but I do where I can, and in the future once my means have improved I intend to do more.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
*Minka* said:
Oh fuck you.
dont take it harshly..

its because they were fed that they became like tat, rather they werent gettin enough food (or not good food) which drove them..

beersandwich

HSC
guess i better get an education. maybe i should go the school you went to learn about saying the word fuck in inappropriate situations

Last edited:

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Schroedinger said:
Bahahahahah.

You're retarded and missed the reference because you're an under-educated fuckwit.
lol, dont worry the jews will solve the problem - NOT

omfg - security, we have nukes, tanks, the best soldiers, but we fucken need security , oh look some palestinians lets kill them and say they were 'militants' yeah we can do that, cos that will improve our security! yeah gud idea

fucken jews killin for fun.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Schroedinger said:
Stop bringing the Jews into this you Anti-Semitic fool. They were awarded the state of Israel by the UN, their actions in the Six Day war were astonishingly horrible and not sanctioned or condoned in any way by any other major military force.

However, the palestinians are a bunch of extremist islamic tools that just wish to destroy the nation of Israel because of what it stands for.
lol Israel hasnt given back the land that according to the UN is supposed to belong to palestine.
buts that past, its present that matters, they jus tkill palestinians in the name of 'security' is just low.

as for ur claim:
In 1947, following increasing levels of violence by Jewish militant groups together with unsuccessful efforts to reconcile the Jewish and Arab populations, the British government decided to withdraw from the Palestine Mandate. The UN General Assembly approved the 1947 UN Partition Plan dividing the territory into two states, Jewish and Arab. The Jewish area having roughly 55% of the land, and Arab roughly 45%. Jerusalem was planned to be an international region administered by the UN to avoid conflict over its status.

Immediately following the adoption of the Partition Plan by the UN General Assembly (on November 29, 1947), David Ben-Gurion tentatively accepted the partition, while the Arab League rejected it. Several Arab attacks on Jewish civilians soon turned into widespread fighting between Arabs and Jews, this civil war being the first "phase" of the 1948 war of Independence.

On May 14, 1948, before the expiry of the British Mandate of Palestine at midnight of May 15, 1948, the State of Israel was proclaimed.

the arab league rejected it.....
Israel captured East Jerusalem from Jordan in the 1967 Six-Day War and in 1980 the Israeli Knesset passed the "Jerusalem Law" annexing East Jerusalem, but United Nations Security Council Resolution 478 has declared this action to be in violation of international law.

violating international law..
Israel passed the "Golan Heights Law" in 1981, extending its laws and jurisdicions to the territory and according Israeli citizenship to the resident population. Israel has, however, avoided using the term "annexation" to this action. The UN Security Council rejected the provisions of this law with Resolution 497.

Last edited:

HotShot

-_-
HSC
lol Israel hasnt given back the land that according to the UN is supposed to belong to palestine.
buts that past, its present that matters, they jus tkill palestinians in the name of 'security' is just low.

as for ur claim:
In 1947, following increasing levels of violence by Jewish militant groups together with unsuccessful efforts to reconcile the Jewish and Arab populations, the British government decided to withdraw from the Palestine Mandate. The UN General Assembly approved the 1947 UN Partition Plan dividing the territory into two states, Jewish and Arab. The Jewish area having roughly 55% of the land, and Arab roughly 45%. Jerusalem was planned to be an international region administered by the UN to avoid conflict over its status.

Immediately following the adoption of the Partition Plan by the UN General Assembly (on November 29, 1947), David Ben-Gurion tentatively accepted the partition, while the Arab League rejected it. Several Arab attacks on Jewish civilians soon turned into widespread fighting between Arabs and Jews, this civil war being the first "phase" of the 1948 war of Independence.

On May 14, 1948, before the expiry of the British Mandate of Palestine at midnight of May 15, 1948, the State of Israel was proclaimed.

the arab league rejected it.....
Israel captured East Jerusalem from Jordan in the 1967 Six-Day War and in 1980 the Israeli Knesset passed the "Jerusalem Law" annexing East Jerusalem, but United Nations Security Council Resolution 478 has declared this action to be in violation of international law.

violating international law..
Israel passed the "Golan Heights Law" in 1981, extending its laws and jurisdicions to the territory and according Israeli citizenship to the resident population. Israel has, however, avoided using the term "annexation" to this action. The UN Security Council rejected the provisions of this law with Resolution 497.

K

katie_tully

I am one of those people who screams at the television when those advertisments come on.
Mainly because I really don't care about what everybody elses problems are, especially when there is such a thing as poverty in Australia.
Apparently caring about our own homeless isn't as 'vogue' as wearing crappy arm bands in support of anti poverty programs abroad.

ButterflyFish

HSC
Schroedinger said:
Furthermore, I believe the top economists think that African poverty reduction can occur just like India and China.

Keep in mind Africa is not a homogenous nation, it's made up of a massive amount of small, independent warring factions. The same situations that allowed India and China to significantly reduce the amount of their population in absolute poverty came as a part of NATION WIDE POLICY. If you had a few african countries, they could possibly reduce their poverty levels, but it's definitely not a continent-wide thing, there's no corollary there.

Also, we've proven over the last couple of years that dumping money into the situation that is mostly ruled by cultural and religious issues stemming back thousands of years, does not help, and in fact, a good chunk of the money goes to the warlords, which goes back to hurting the populous, not the outcome we want.

Africa is AIDS ravaged. It has basically non-existent infrastructure, it's a massive change in landscapes from the top of the continent to the bottom of the continent. There's no way we can help in the next 20 years. And there's no way in hell we can EVER eradicate poverty.

Poverty has to exist, there has to be a person earning less than you. Poverty will always exist, the homeless will always exist.

Until africa is a unified continent with a decent government and the religious and cultural issues are thrown aside in the name of building decent infrastructure, there'll be no chance in hell to fix that dead nation.

To be honest, whilst it sounds callous, there's nothing we can do right now except make it as comfortable as possible whilst most of its population dies.
Newsflash:

Little SCHROEDINGER, from the bored of studies forum - *gasp* - Knows better than the world's leading economists!!!!!!

Trillium

HSC
I care... but i live in a capitalist society, and i like having my computer, my MP3, my music, my books, my food, my education and my comfortable life. Most do. A few will get up and do something about poverty. But most sit back, say how sad it is, and donate $5 to caritas or something. Depressing. Yes, get up and do soemthing, me! I nod and go back to wasting more electrons on this post.

World poverty could be solved, there are countless ways to do it. But no one in power, and most of the population of those countries in a position to somehthing, care enough to sacrifice their own comfortable lives.
Success may be good, but Comfort is all, people.

And that is my depressing thought for the day.
~Trill

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
who are ofcourse acting for political reasons
ecconomy has nothing to do with it and you know it. Want to know where your money is going? its going to some african warlord who just bought another 53 mercedes to compliment his fleet, thats where your aid money goes

i think iam going to make a wristband that parodies that make povery history crap

something witty, like " make poverty history - drop an A bomb"
or "fuck poverty - i dont give a shit"

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
If there were lots of people living in poverty in this country, then social and political security would inevitably deteriorate. Insofar as that is concerned, I think most people would probably care.

But whether someone can afford to buy a house, any house, albeit he might be renting one, is not my problem.

As far as poverty overseas, it's not much of an immediate concern for me at the moment. However, as circumstances change, my view on poverty in this country may well explain how I'll see global poverty as an issue.

7th Sign

HSC
Yeah I care it upsets me..

i just dont liek people like the red cross abusing poverty money

eg 100 million is donated and they take 2% for admin fees or some shit..

this crap is always happening...

if i had more cash then i do i would seirosuly donate to poverty...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)