Popular culture topics (1 Viewer)

shagz_04

Hi everyone,

im just wondering what everyone who is doing popular culture as a depth study has chosen for their focus, eg for the assessment? ive got no idea what to choose so anyone with any ideas would be great!!

thanks!
Shannon

jack white

After Hours
HSC
hey, well we are doing our depth study as a class (is that bizzare or normal) and we are focusing on punk and its development...bands like the Ramones, Sex Pistols and the Buzzcocks - its great!!!

schamoozlers

HSC
hey im doing my depth study on the development of rock n roll.... im loving it just quietly.. but yeh its coool...... i just need to find one band to focus on !!!! ne suggestions wuld b great as i have an assessment task on a band , 1000 words, on the characteristics of popular culture.. i have a wide variety to choose from but as i have been doing REALLY bad this year in Society and Culture i wanna beat everyone in my class.... so ne suggestions for bands that have 'rocked ur world' (excuse the pun) wuld b greatly appreciateddddd.

kalen

Hi
HSC
We're doing "Grunge".. I'm not impressed - I don't have interest in that at all..

shagz_04

Hey thanks everyone!
Jack, um, im doing SAC by distance ed so i think its normal to do a focus study with ur class (im about 8 hours from mine lol!)

Rock 'n' roll bands? hmmm... i can think of a couple that are ok
-Nirvana (when they were around)
-Metallica (love those guys, but dont tell my bf lol)
-Sex Pistols

shagz_04

im thinking about doing animation, and i was gonna focus on that japanese cartoon 'Sailor Moon' (shutup, i loved it when i was little!) but im not sure what i would write about (i have to do a 1200 word report) - im thinking about a study of the fan base, or something like that...

any suggestions would be great!

Nullachick

HSC
N/A
hey
yeah im doing rock and roll and im so stuffed im just finding the assessment so hard... it says here discride rock and roll in your own life and in your macro world... does tha mean the rock and roll i listen to or the rock and roll thats out now cause quiet frankly im not a fan of rock and roll so how am i ment to answer that...

jack white

After Hours
HSC
hey shagz,

with sailor moon, i think you are refering to anime - which would be an excellent idea for a popular culture task! Really good becuase it fits really well with the four integral components that necessitate a popular culture -

*anime has changed and evolved (it was completely asian in its disposition before but it has been somewhat "westernised" to suit western television and media consumption)
*anime has certainly gone from a local to national to an international level - no doubt about that
*there are commerical products of consumption associated with anime - toys, trading cards, videos, cds etc. etc. the list goes on forever AND
*people have widespread access to anime as well - just turn on the television or go to the shops or even look at some of the clothes people are wearing (those Astro Boy t-shirts) ANIME!! ANIME!! ANIME!! everywhere mate!!!!!!

Other examples of anime include...Astro Boy and Dragon Ball Z. even, to an extent, pokemon (!?)

ask some of ya friends...or give it a google search maybe ***i dunno

Your typical nerd usually loves anime and many, many japanese female high school students also thrive off it....

it's a great idea for a pop culture project! but that's just my point of view...

Personally, I LOVE POPULAR CULTURE THE SUBJECT - much cooler than anything else i have ever studied at school!

Last edited:

shagz_04

Hey Jack,
i was going to do a study of the fan base = who are the fans and how 'fandom' is encouraged. hopefully that sounds like a good idea to everyone because im not sure how i will go about the research...

Brookie-iluvmat

Hey, we're doing mcDonalds and we also had to do a case study ourselves on another pop culture for our assessment, i chose to do Mary-kate and Ashley olsen (lol) hey they are huge on a local national and global level!!

_vertiginous

HSC
we did mcdonalds & surfing in class, as well as i've chosen 'internet blogging' for my individual assesment one. any help or thoughts would be appreciated?

Brookie-iluvmat

well msn has just introduced "my space" which is making blogging more popular now!!
like coz of the easy access to it!

miss_depp

The Graduate
HSC
My class is doing rock n roll and I'm focussing on Madonna - not quite rock, slightly pop but you get the idea.

pirotess4

HSC
N/A
Yeah our class is doing Punk - woo!! It's really fun. Now everytime my friends and i see a "Hyper Punk" (someone who is just buying the image) we always notice but we don't have the courage to say anything to their face. We just say to ourselves,
"You're a fake man"
"You're a part of the system"
"You're buying a commodity!"
"You're not really a rebel!"
Oh the effects SOC can have on your life.......:p

Lil_Lisa

HSC
Hey im also doing Grunge for my popular culture.. i need serious help.. i have no intrest in it at all and i dont get it... its too hard... please give me some pointers on how to study it?

Danni07

happy little vegemite
HSC
Lil_Lisa said:
Hey im also doing Grunge for my popular culture.. i need serious help.. i have no intrest in it at all and i dont get it... its too hard... please give me some pointers on how to study it?
Use the syllabus! I can't stress this enough. The syllabus for this topic makes it very clear what you should know. Go through it, answer every "point" and you should be fine.

takingbackrufio

HSC
Uh the only suggestion i can make is chose an area of entertainment that you really like because then you will be more interested... but also dont forget that you cant just single out one popular culture, you have to realise where it fits into the whole picture, theres no point talking about i dunno oppera music without discussing music in general..

snickerdoodle

year of the dog
HSC
We got to choose our own topics, and I did Horror Movies. Twas great, I got 13/15. Other people in my class did Children's Music, Punk Rock, Musicals, Hip Hop etc etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)