positive and negative feedback ? (1 Viewer)

anulik

HSC
I am a bit confused about the difference between the positive and negative feedback.
Could you please help me and bring an example of positive feedback. Thanks

DInfinity

Ad Infinitum
HSC
Negative feed back is basically homeostasis. It negates the unnormal state back so that it is in the normal range again.

Positive feedback is when something happens and is enhanced, not negated. Can't really think of a biological one right now, but here's a model of it:

Person A is performing something, the audience seems to like it, and claps and cheers. Person A increases their performance level as a result of the cheering and clapping.

Sorry about the dodgy answer, I'm kinda tired right now o.0

Pyrokinetic

HSC
I think negative feedback system is the only one relevant to the Maintaining a Balance module for HSC Biology.

Negative feedback mechanism is coordinated by our Central Nervous System (brain/spinal cord) basically regulates the homeostatic set points for certain components of our internal environment: for eg, body temperature is set at 37*C. Through the stimuli>receptor>CNS>effector>response pathway, a response is generated by the hypothalamus that counters any external pressure which causes any deviation from our set temperature of 37*C. So external pressures from the environment is countered in order to maintain homeostasis.

Positive feedback mechanism by contrast is aimed at facillitating the body's response to suit external pressures from the environment. Enzyme production is an example. If due to some environmental pressure, a certain amount of a biochemical product is required, the production of enzymes responsible for making that product will be stimulated.

So basically positive feedback: environment causes body to need more product A, body produces more enzymes to make product A.

Whereas in negative feedback: environment causes body to rise in temperature, body generates response that negates the rise in temperature.

mattparis

HSC
positive feedback increases the initial stimulus, conversely, negative feedback decreases the original stimulus.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)