Possibility of getting a state rank?? (1 Viewer)

mohammy52

HSC
N/A
Hey guys,

I'm asking this on behalf of a friend.

Currently he's ranked 1st in 2U maths in a top 40 school and so far he's only dropped about 2 marks all together in his past three tests (so not including trials which are 40% of internal). Do you guys reckon he has it in him to get a state ranking assuming he goes really well in the trials and the external as well. I will be deeply thankful for any replies :spin:

Last edited:

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
It's 2 marks...

nah mate his dreams and hopes have all crashed and burned

Machiavelli1

HSC
well, he needs 100% in the final HSC, and then chances increase if he does 3U and gets close to 100% ie 99 or 98 i think.
State rank is purely on Externals i think, and when there are equal marks, then extension subjects are used to differentiate people.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
well, he needs 100% in the final HSC, and then chances increase if he does 3U and gets close to 100% ie 99 or 98 i think.
State rank is purely on Externals i think, and when there are equal marks, then extension subjects are used to differentiate people.
yes. you have potentially the brightest students in the state who are also competing for that spot who are also likely to be ranked first at their school

integral95

HSC
To get state rank you need talent, dedication, and luck on the exam day.

JohnMaximus

shepherd of the people
HSC
i'm afraid all 2u state ranks are reserved for preliminary hsc 4unit students doing accelerated 2u

mohammy52

HSC
N/A
ok, thanks guys. Would any of you know what sort of marks altogether in 2U maths you would need for a state rank though? like 98/100 raw combining external and internal together for example

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
ok, thanks guys. Would any of you know what sort of marks altogether in 2U maths you would need for a state rank though? like 98/100 raw combining external and internal together for example
definitely would need 95+ raw

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
one of the state rankers last year got a raw of 98.

mohammy52

HSC
N/A
Whoah, 98+ raw is quite a high mark...but I think 95+ definitely seems much more achievable :p

photastic

HSC
Last year, a student state ranked but wasn't first internally, got 91 in his trial and probs got 99 in the HSC so I reckon this year would require 100 to state rank in 2u and 3u since last year's exam was hard. (made 2012 look like a fairytale)

enoilgam

HSC
It's possible, but it's very difficult to achieve. With maths, there is an element of luck involved, because you need full marks to have a chance and one stupid mistake can put you out of contention. Stupid mistakes dont discriminate and even the best students make them, so it really is a crapshoot for the 20 rankings.

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
Jeez State ranks are so hard to achieve, but nonetheless achievable.

If anything I'd rather focus on getting into all rounders

I'm sort of like your friend at the moment in regards to 2 u marks this year

40 / 41

70 / 70

49 / 49

One more exam to go

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)