Post election thoughts (1 Viewer)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Hmm..I voted Greens for both lower and upper house

But...I hope Howard introduces VSU, so the university union and guild at UNSW goes bankrupt

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
To all of you people whining about promises - well, it just depends if they are non-core or not ;)

Generator

HSC
N/A
Haha I kind of agree with VSU, too... I hate the Sports Union, and the Student Union offers crap all apart from a table or two inside for when its wet.

Rorix

HSC
Asquithian said:
i dont really mind that...the most upsetting thing is the liberals gaining a majority in the senate with the right wing chri i mean family first party
This may suprise you but I agree.

Off to online poker.

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
Asquithian said:
jeesus do you even know what those words mean or what the implications of those words are?

Do you even notice the contradiction in that sentence?

and for gods sake remove your sig...its not even right...:\

No No No. I tend to like the exposure....lets be honest being Labor ppl we need as much as we can get.

veanz

hath no fury
HSC
N/A
latham concedes defeat:
"Tonight is not our night, it's not the night we were hoping for. We'll make sure the Government is held to account." he said.

hmm what? and how?

Generator

HSC
N/A
veanz said:
latham concedes defeat:
"Tonight is not our night, it's not the night we were hoping for. We'll make sure the Government is held to account." he said.

hmm what? and how?

Constant (and constructive) criticism, I assume.

walrusbear

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Howard is about individualism striving towards national goals.
those words mean nothing
they are empty
and i am going to cry all night

waterfowl

HSC
leetom said:
They won only by scaring the Australian people regarding interest rates. There was not a single advertisement that explained to Australians the benefit of the Liberal party's policies, just an endless barrage of Latham's economic credentials. Which of course is fair, but it is a sad thing indeed to see John Howard re-elected thanks to a campaign based solely on fear.
I think that all depends on where and when you see the advertisements. From my point of view I saw more negative ads from the ALP than I did from LIB.

steph@nie

narcissistic whore.
HSC
Asquithian said:
well no...they are one seat away from a majority...if family first win a seat then they will go with the government giving them a strong government...if FF dont win they only have to persuade one independant to support them in order to pass whatever they want

SAD SAD DAY...i could bear a liberal win but not a liberal majority in the senate
oh my god.

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
I personaly wish to KILL all members of the Family first Party myself.

Generator

HSC
N/A
zahid said:
I personaly wish to KILL all members of the Family first Party myself.
Before they kill the lesbians, I hope :).

Yes, not the greatest joke.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Absoulte Power!

Well Im glad to see a coalition win!

oh btw...bye telstra...

walrusbear

HSC
can anyone definitely confirm if the libs hold a majority in the senate?
and if family first really did win a seat?

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Asquithian said:
...try not be a smartarse when you know an unchecked liberal government is dangerous...no one to chec ktheir promises...whats the point...worse possible outcome for Australia and accountability in government
I'm a party member, should I be upset?

But yes, you're right it is a concern, and I can understand why alot of people would be worried that the Liberals may have the power to just rubber stamp all policies. IMO, the democrats were a good party to hold the balance of power, since they were rather moderate.

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Green says
38 lib
1 family first (Vic)

Hope they actually do something now they have a mandate.

veanz

hath no fury
HSC
N/A
could someone please direct me to some sort of nonbias evaluation of family first, website?

bluesky100

Carly :-)
HSC
Most people are followers and put less than a few minutes of thought into voting.
:(

I think the Libs had a massive advantage here, as someone already pointed out just look at the negative campaign they dug up for Latham, he didn't have a chance.

I think he did quite well considering all that he faced. Look at the strong performance of the first time church funded party, Family First, directing the vast majority of it's votes toward the Libs enabled the government to retain several seats it would have lost without their support. The liberal party can't form government on it's own either, the nationals still retain strong support and this is an area where the labor party is still building it's base.

I honestly thought Howard told one too many lies, was truly exposed as the lying rat he is etc.. but I guess people care more about their mortgages even if they don't realise they didn't have to worry in the first place.

The ALP really need a strong moderate coalition (not just greens) of some kind to form a government, just as the Libs do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)