Post grad med application/gpa Q (1 Viewer)

Roseguns

HSC
I've developed a year long obsession with all things med-related and am considering applying for postgraduate medicine - but I would like to know if my application is feasible.

On the upside I have maintained a distinction average with a few high distinctions at usyd for 3 years and transferred to a b.science after my 2nd year.

My first year was an absolute disaster, I DF'd one semester and failed all my subjects in the second semester.

I'm in the second year of my new degree now and I've managed a high distinction for half of my assessments - will my first year greatly effect my chances of getting into medicine? My performance was beyond disastrous.

Any insight would be appreciated - is this a rare scenario?

Roseguns

HSC
2* years sorry, not 3

To be put simply & chronologically:

1st year - abysmal, failed, discontinued
2nd year - distinction average
3rd year - transferred from arts to sci, distinction av
4th year - most likely a distinction av, second year of b. sci

Steth0scope

HSC
N/A
Hey

You need to calculate your GPA. When you apply for Medicine, after you've sat GAMSAT etc, your GPA needs to be at least 5.5 (credit average). If it is above that, your GAMSAT mark will determine whether you get offered an interview.

After your interview, they take 50% intervew mark/50% GAMSAT mark. So yes, it is possible, so long as as your GPA is above 5.5 at the time you apply!

This is for usyd btw. For more info see the ACER Medicine admission guide

GAMSAT - Graduate Admission Guide

Roseguns

HSC
Thank you.

The GPA calculations are complete according to your first 3-4 years of your degree.

What if you transfer to a new degree?

Steth0scope

HSC
N/A
As far as I know it's your most recent 3 years of study (not your first).

For more info on how to calculate your GPA refer to page 16 of the admission guide link i gave u above. It should cover double degrees etc...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)