Post Your 2017 University Offers Here (1 Viewer)

ischolar

HSC
Almost, but the post-PhD opportunities were quite slim in engineering so I rescinded my application (had a supervisor and the scholarship was easy to obtain in engineering - less competitive).

Good luck.
Thanks!! But being an international student, I guess scholarships are much more competitive for us.. If I may ask, does it affect the chances if the supervisor has distinguished eminence for research in the university..

D94

HSC
N/A
Thanks!! But being an international student, I guess scholarships are much more competitive for us.. If I may ask, does it affect the chances if the supervisor has distinguished eminence for research in the university..
Yeah the scholarship is definitely more competitive for international students because you're ranked against everyone outside of UNSW (which includes applicants who did their undergraduate study from other Australian universities).

I can't say for certain, but I think having a supervisor with that background does help, but it's more important for that supervisor to have applied for research grants and funding. Also, the more established researchers (typically Associate Professor and above) will be able to work something out if they really want you to work with them (although my anecdotes were only from domestic applicants).

ischolar

HSC
Yeah the scholarship is definitely more competitive for international students because you're ranked against everyone outside of UNSW (which includes applicants who did their undergraduate study from other Australian universities).

I can't say for certain, but I think having a supervisor with that background does help, but it's more important for that supervisor to have applied for research grants and funding. Also, the more established researchers (typically Associate Professor and above) will be able to work something out if they really want you to work with them (although my anecdotes were only from domestic applicants).
I appreciate your response..it does relax me a little bit in these super anxious days... The project I have an offer from is an ARC funded project.. But as you said funding is certainly highly competitive for international students.. I just hope for a favourable outcome.. Thanks again!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)