Postgraduate Work (1 Viewer)

miss_rachel

How difficult would it be to get into law postgrad at a uni like UQ or UMaq?

Would it be much harder than trying to transfer in the middle of an arts degree?

Has anyone here done postgrad study? How did you go getting accepted? Was it based solely on acheivement in prior degrees? Do you have to get like HD's???

Thanks heaps in advance.

santaslayer

HSC
Note firstly that UMQ does NOT have a graduate law degree!

Admission into law as a graduate is extremley competitive.....assessment of your application will be based on ur undergrad degree and any other tertiary studies. Proportion of ur UAI may be taken into account. Applicants with a Phd, a research Masters degree or first class honors will generally be accepted.

eg. At USYD law it is based on 25% UAI and 75% Tertiary grades...A UAI of at least 90.00 and a high credit range are necessary requirements......

good luckz :)

Last edited:

rubylotus11

So it would probably be a really long way to get into graduate law, but are you saying that it is possible to get in if you have a masters, Phd or first class honors?
I didn't get a UAI above 90, so if I wanted to get into law that might be one of the only ways. Just wondering.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
UTS offers two postgrad law degrees: postgrad LLB and MLLP (Masters in Law and Legal Practice). might wanna look that up, click on my UTS law banner for direct link to site :)

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Frigid, the point that Santaslayer was making is that a post-graduate qualification can only be obtained by a graduate of that field. Thus, no bachelor-level course can be post-graduate. It can be a graduate course - ie one undertaken by someone who has previously graduated in any field, but that isn't the same thing.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
but i think miss_rachel wanted a graduate law course... yeap i'm confusing the terms graduate and postgrad. sorry.

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by rubylotus11
So it would probably be a really long way to get into graduate law, but are you saying that it is possible to get in if you have a masters, Phd or first class honors?

I didn't get a UAI above 90, so if I wanted to get into law that might be one of the only ways. Just wondering.
1) It is unusual for a person who has done a PhD, Honors...etc to be rejected :)

2) If you didn't get a UAI of 90.00 then there are other ways of getting into Law.....you can transfer after first year to maybe UOW Law? :p
Also, if you cannot transfer then you may be able to do Law via the Legal Admissions Board...AdamJ is a BoS memeber and he does it, you might like to ask him about it! :)

ohne

HSC
The Master of legal practice degree offered at UTS which Frigid mentioned is an option other than graduate law you may wish to consider. You can enter into it without a previous degree in law and it is an acceptable qualification to become a lawyer. One advantage is it takes substantially less time to complete than an LLB.

ohne

HSC
Originally posted by santaslayer
and the admission requirements?
According to the website you need a non-law bachelors degree. I'm not sure if they descriminate according to marks. It is definantly easier to get into than a graduate LLB at most unis.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)