Power, Current and Voltage (1 Viewer)

weirdguy99

HSC
N/A
Hey,

I've recently been having trouble with connecting the dots between power, current, voltage, coulombs and energy.

Been going through the textbooks but I need a deeper look into these units.

So far I understand that an Amp is the measure of coulombs and that voltage is the force that drives the Amp's through a closed circuit....

Could someone please help clarify them?

Thanks.

darkchild69

Nanotechnologist
HSC
Power: Measured in Watts, which equivalent unit is Joules/sec. It is the rate at which energy is used. Example a 100W device uses 100J of Energy per second.

Current: Measured in Amperes, it's equivalent unit is Coulombs/second. It is the rate at which charge flows past a certain point. A current of 2A is equivalent to a charge of 2 Coloumbs passing a point each second.

Voltage: aka Potential Difference or Electromotive Force (EMF). It is measured in Volts, an the equivalent unit is energy per unit charge (Joules/Coulomb). Basically, the higher the EMF, the more electrical potential energy each charge will gain. Voltage is a measure of the work which is needed to be done by a charge moving from one point to another.

Coulombs: The unit for charge. Not much more to say about it :) 1 coulomb is the equivalent charge of a current of 1A flowing for 1second. 1 coloumb is the charge on 6.242 × 10<sup>18</sup> electrons.

Energy: Unit is Joules. Can be defined in a number of ways :) Energy and Work have equivalent units.
Most commonly used: 1 Joule is the work required to produce a Watt of power for 1 second (Eg, using a 100W bulb for 5 seconds generates 500J of Energy)
Others:
The work required to move a charge of 1 coulomb through a PD of 1 volt or the work done by a force of 1 Newton moving an object a distance of 1 metre.

Hope this helps

weirdguy99

HSC
N/A
Hey, thanks for the reply.

If voltage rises and resistance is the same, does that mean the current will rise? since each charge gains more potential energy.

untouchablecuz

HSC
Hey, thanks for the reply.

If voltage rises and resistance is the same, does that mean the current will rise? since each charge gains more potential energy.
V=I*R

if R is constant, then, V is proportional to I

if V increases then, because V and I are proportional, I will also rise

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
I = current in amperes (A)
q = charge in coulombs (C)
n = no. of electrons
e = electrical charge of one electron in coulombs (C)
t = time in seconds (s)
V = voltage in voltes (V)
R = resistance in ohms (sigma)
p (rho) = constant proportionality resistivity of a metal (in ohm metres)
l = length in metres (m)
A = cross sectional area of a wire in metres squared
P = power in watts (W)
W = work in joules (J)
r = internal resistance of a battery (in ohms)

I = q/t

I = nev

EMF = energy supplied/q
Energy released = V x q
W = Vq

R = V/I
or V = IR

R = pl/A

P = W/t
P = VI
P = V2/R
P = I2R

EMF supplied = I (r + R)

Just to help put them all into equations for you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)