Powerplay (1 Viewer)

little_davo

Hiya, new to the site,
Does anyone have a decent definition for 'Powerplay'? We are a good 4-5 weeks into the topic and haven't been given one, and i can't find one anywhere. Plenty of definitions for 'power' but none for 'powerplay'.
Thanks a bunc

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Yeah, we were never really told what it was meant to mean either. I ended up asking my teacher for a definition to put in essays cos I really had no idea, and he said it was "The interplay between power and control." I put that definition in all my essays on Powerplay, and it seemed to go down all right.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
"The interplay between individuals and societies that grasp power, and those that seek power"

*shrug* I've forgotten!

numg

HSC
As bunny said...

Textual Integrity is another good example :)

tieki

...as is an "area of study"...lol

Anyway, Minai's definition is right on the money, in my books...that's what I've used for everything, and based all my analysis off that...

:)

JOhnNiLiCiouS

HSC
Would you write the definition in the first few lines no matter what the question is?? and is that the same as with the other modules?

legally_blonde

hmmm... the sheet i have in front of me says:
"The interplay of power between individuals and groups and the politics of this interaction"

and yes, i was always told that to write the definition of the core term at the beginning of any response gains you an extra mark at least, easy :D

Jakaveli

power is the ability to orchestrate or control. "Power play" refers to the method in which this power is attained or withheld.

narrator

HSC
N/A
some good key terms are:

manipulation
subtle innuendo
persuasion

like Jakaveli said, it's mainly about the ways of using power, you have to identify the strengths and weaknesses of the characters of whatever text you're using. Then, you need to question how the other characters exploit this.

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
Originally posted by Jakaveli
power is the ability to orchestrate or control. "Power play" refers to the method in which this power is attained or withheld.
bingo...

sparkles

I thought the term powerplay would also refer to the relation of power members of a group or event possess. Eg a government has power, but the pwople possess the power to vote. Winston possess power - as he is the author, the story teller. the truth is his perception but OBrian possess the power of life and death. This is a unit concerned with the concept of power - and how it is shared and who possess it

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
ooh, do we really have to give a definition? i guess i sort of do have one but it's related to my thesis rather than being a generic definition.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)