ppl who lived in japan (1 Viewer)

HinikuTheNinja

one helluva naughty ninja
HSC
I actually did homestay in Suita, Osaka for ten days earlier this year, (with a group from my area) and I remember two of the boys in our group were put in the same home. Then again, the family they were put in were just an old married couple.
The youngest two girls (who were 13 at the time) were going to be put into a home together as well, but they were split up at the last moment.
I guess it just depends on what organisation you go through and if you go as a gorup or not.

I <3 my host family though. Two young parents, and a five year old daughter named Mimi. Mimi-chan was so cute. She could beat me in Memory. ^^

P

pLuvia

HinikuTheNinja said:
I actually did homestay in Suita, Osaka for ten days earlier this year, (with a group from my area) and I remember two of the boys in our group were put in the same home. Then again, the family they were put in were just an old married couple.
The youngest two girls (who were 13 at the time) were going to be put into a home together as well, but they were split up at the last moment.
I guess it just depends on what organisation you go through and if you go as a gorup or not.

I <3 my host family though. Two young parents, and a five year old daughter named Mimi. Mimi-chan was so cute. She could beat me in Memory. ^^
hey
hiniku what organisation did you do it through?

ichig0

HSC
1. what organisation did u do it thru
AIIU

2. wat grade did u do it in
year 9.. [i wanted to stay with the japanese girl i hosted the year b4.. and it was her last year.. so yeah]

3. wat did u learn from the experience
the customs and school lifestyle.. made lots of friends which i still keep in touch now!

4. did u do a homestay
yep! i went with my class for 2 weeks, but only stayed with my host family for 10 days. the rest was spent on sight seeing in kyoto, hiroshima and miyajima island.

5. how long did you go for and wat would be a recommended time period to stay for
2 weeks, 10 days with host family and going to school. KYOTO is a MUST!! that's my favourite city so far, even after the 2nd time i went with my bro n sis earlier this year.. oh and don't forget to visit Nikko, especially during Autumn.. it's soooo prettty!!

HinikuTheNinja

one helluva naughty ninja
HSC
I acutally did it through the Bankstown City Council... apparently, Bankstown and Suita City have been 'sister-cities' since 1989, and they've been doing student exchagnes for quite a number of years... However, you have to be in the Bankstown area to apply. ^_^

The Japanese students were here last week, on their part of the exchange. I wasn't allowed to host any, sadly. T_T

frodo

MAINTAIN THE RAGE
HSC
I might as well throw my experiences in the hat too

I went with AFS for 10 months in 2002/03 when I was in Year 11. I stayed in Ijuin, Kagoshima Prefecture ( southern tip of Kyushu).

I recommend going for at least 3 months or as long as you can go for because you can't really learn much Japanese if you go for less.

I'm not sure what other stuff I can say except it's a great experience and worthwhile, I only wish that I had made more of the opportunity and learnt more.

P

pLuvia

hey thanks for all you guys/ girls comments and opinion, arigatou gozaimasu. I have picked to go through LABO, more expensive than sweetcandy said.
Here's the details if anyone is thinking of going.

Cost of trip is $2975 :eek:, it covers
  • Return economy airfare
  • Australia and Japan departure tzxes
  • Sydney airport charges
  • Isurance surcharge
  • Fuel surcharge
  • Travel, accident and medical insurance
  • ground transportations and LABO organisational charges including winter camp

Accomodation is provided by host family, and is recommended to bring $500 for shopping etc.

AND IS NOT 1 month as said before, on my detail sheet for LABO exchange its 3 weeks :(:(:(
Students depart from Sydney on December 18th and return January 8th

so yeah, i thought it would be 1 month as sweetcandy said but it's not. :(

AcStyle*

Believe in Desire
HSC
kadlil said:
hey thanks for all you guys/ girls comments and opinion, arigatou gozaimasu. I have picked to go through LABO, more expensive than sweetcandy said.

• Return economy airfare
  • Sydney airport charges
  • Isurance surcharge
  • Fuel surcharge

Accomodation is provided by host family, and is recommended to bring $500 for shopping etc.

AND IS NOT 1 month as said before, on my detail sheet for LABO exchange its 3 weeks :(:(:(

Nice, so whereabouts in Japan will u be staying?

Lexicographer said:
OMG ME TOO MAYBE I SAW YOU THERE
lol maybe...

P

pLuvia

not sure yet, i have to find out the places i can go, my japanese friend recommended going to kyoto, good culture and temples etc. Maybe thinking of going there. :)

magicspell

HSC
kadlil said:
well tomoz in skool im gonna ask straight away lol.. wats a gud place to go... r the country sides gud/?? or the ct?
soz.. delayed reply..
advantage with country side- is that yes, it is a lot more quieter, and yes, city is a lot more busier.. but the thing is, if u go to the city, u'll be learning correct jap.. like if u go too much into the country side, u'll come bac learning a diff dialect and diff forms of expressions n stuff.. and so yeh, it is better to go to da city...

magicspell

HSC
kadlil said:

• Return economy airfare
  • Sydney airport charges
  • Isurance surcharge
  • Fuel surcharge

oh.. ur only staying there for 3 weeks?? oh welz.. at least u'll be there for new yr's celebrations ;)

P

pLuvia

and the christmas celebration ;), but yeah the 3 weeks wasn't what i expected :(, but being there for christmas and new years lol

Ichiban Ichigo

HSC
frodo said:
I might as well throw my experiences in the hat too

I went with AFS for 10 months in 2002/03 when I was in Year 11. I stayed in Ijuin, Kagoshima Prefecture ( southern tip of Kyushu).

I recommend going for at least 3 months or as long as you can go for because you can't really learn much Japanese if you go for less.

I'm not sure what other stuff I can say except it's a great experience and worthwhile, I only wish that I had made more of the opportunity and learnt more.
How many host families did you stay with (if you did stay with host families) and what subjects did you have to take in school?
I've applied for a 10 month exchange through FACE and am really curious about subjects in school. I know that Maths, Science, History and Geography are all compulsory and I've not studied those for a few years. Hehehe, they're going to think I'm a little bit on the stupid side if I end up going over. lol.

Last edited:

s1mplykat

HSC
KandyKid05 said:
1. what organisation did u do it thru:
i went through my school sith some other school mates
2. wat grade did u do it in:
year10
3. wat did u learn from the experience:
that japan is a hole if you stay with teachers and fun by your self or with friends. The school girls there are so shy and sensitive. Anything can make them upset.
4. did u do a homestay:
yes i did. My home stay drank and smoked and cut her self. i just smoked and drank with her. she started crying when one day i forgot about dinner.
5. how long did you go for and wat would be a recommended time period to stay for:
i went for two weeks during school holidays. if your going through the school two weeks is enough MORE than enough. if your going by your self or with friends then take 3 months.
you such a fucking loser hemika! you were never in Japan, you basically took my Japanese student exchange experience and pretended that u had gone through such things?
your such a low life.

candy-child

HSC
wtf hemika? you are a liar man.. you never went to Japan! whats up with this gay antix or yours?

pc_wizz

ρ s y c н o ρ α τ н ™
HSC
one year delay :apig:

but yes i have to say that too ... *tsk tsk*

akimoto

HSC
1. what organisation did u do it thru
dance
2. wat grade did u do it in
forgot
3. wat did u learn from the experience
hahaha girls are pretty sensitive and shy at first, dont fart newhere cause they reckon its gonna be another atomic bomb, men pee on the streets, the hot springs are nice but u go in there naked with a puny square cloth (tell everyone to cover their eyes with dat squar cloth if ur scared of showing ur privacy), TRY PEACHES!!! veryy yummyy!!, they dont usually eat sushi cause its pretty expensive, japanese guys are pretty dirty (mind) they have this three docker storey massive building called condomania (i didnt go in there)
4. did u do a homestay
YUP! Family was really nice and very generous! good thing i had to do full time dancing cause otherwise i woulda gone fat. If you don't understand them, try reading their hand signals or facial expressions, its a big help since them sometimes over do it (cause ur new). eg if they have big eyes wide at you with dat stoned expression, they are prob asking you a question and if they're holding something like tea, they're probably asking if u want a sip.
5. how long did you go for and wat would be a recommended time period to stay for
1monthish

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)