Pregnant? Forget about a new job. (1 Viewer)

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
What are your opinions on this issue? I am tending to agree with employers on this one. Why would they want to hire someone who is very likely to take (potentially paid) leave soon? The employer would then either have to go through the hiring process again to find a maternity leave replacement or find some other way to cope with the loss of one staff member.

In places where I've worked, post-maternity leave employees often either (i) decide do not come back after their period of leave, (ii) decide to extend the unpaid portion of their leave another number of months, (iii) when they do come back, they only want to come back on a part-time basis, or (iv) prefer a less demanding position.

One employee took a year off for maternity leave, then came back to work only 2-3 days a week for about 6 months, and then took another year off to have another baby, after which she decided not to come back to work at all.

I would have absolutely zero problems hiring women of any age but I can see why employers may have a problem hiring women who are already pregnant.

Anybody see a positive side to this issue?

Pregnant? Forget about a new job

By Sharri Markson
Article from: http://www.news.com.au/business/story/0,27753,24118534-462,00.html
August 03, 2008 12:01am
  • Businesses reluctant to give pregnant women a job
  • Laws exist to protect pregnant women
  • But data shows discrimination across country
SIMONE Giblin is 25, desperate for work and pregnant.

Australia's equal-opportunity laws say it shouldn't count against her, but she knows otherwise.

She has applied for six jobs in the past month and has been knocked back six times. Hard-nosed employers give all sorts of excuses but she says the truth is they can't see beyond her baby bump.

"I think it's important to be honest that you're pregnant," said Mrs Giblin, who lives on Sydney's north shore with her husband. "I'm not ashamed of it, but it's made finding a job very difficult.

"We're young and we need a double income to have the baby, pay off the mortgage and bills. It all adds up.

"I think some employers are insensitive. I don't think they have any understanding of pregnant employees. They need guidelines."

The 1977 Anti-Discrimination Act stipulates that a pregnant woman should not be treated differently in the provision of services or employment.

But the real world doesn't work that way. Businesses complain they cannot be expected to offer work to someone who may be unavailable after giving birth.

Employers First chief executive Garry Brack said small businesses in particular did not have the financial resources to waste time training a pregnant employee who would shortly take maternity leave.

"Small businesses have trouble just trying to cope with someone being off on maternity leave," he said. "(Hiring someone who is pregnant) brings additional complications for them.

"They look for who can do the job now. If the person is leaving on maternity leave in a couple of months and somebody else is there, rather than starting all over again they might say this new person has some advantages."

The latest Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission figures show 170 pregnant women across the country experienced discrimination in the last financial year, with some fired after taking time off to manage morning sickness.

In one case investigated by the Anti-Discrimination Board, a pregnant cook employed by a NSW club was told by her boss to decide between keeping her baby and keeping her job.

NSW Anti-Discrimination Board president Stepan Kerkyasharian said it was almost impossible for a pregnant woman to find a job, with employers making excuses to avoid hiring those who disclosed their pregnancy in an application.

"A lot of employers, regrettably, still look at this as something which is detrimental to their business," Mr Kerkyasharian said. "They don't like their employees to be pregnant.

"This mentality of employers is very damaging and belittling to women. It makes women feel that they've done something wrong by being pregnant."

Mrs Giblin, who is a qualified architect and also has a science degree, has applied for a range of positions in the design and retail industries.

"Even with qualifications behind you, businesses get nervous that you're going to leave them - when I would actually feel very grateful and would want to return to work part-time after the baby's born," she said.

"One business said they had too many pregnant women working there already."

HSC
yepo it is sad but i can see where the employers are comming from, as a couple of months down the track the new mother will want to have maernity leave and then the company will then ahve to hire new ppl to cover for her while she is on leave, thus are all better of hiring th other chick in the first place
imo. if ur preggers, look for a job after the baby is born and after u are right to get back into the workforce

Hollieee

You're unbelievable.
HSC
But some women need to work while they're pregnant to support themselves, and obviously baby costs would come into it.
Sometimes its not as simple as 'look for a job after you've had the baby'. I can understand where an employer would be coming from, yes, but pregnant women need jobs too.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Why the hell would you want to look for work while you're pregnant? Just sit at home for 1 year on Centrelink benefits, that's it - then look for work AFTER giving birth + child care bla bla. Gee, you're going to make your business lose productivity if your fat ass is pregnant. :shy:

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
I feel for the women, but I'd side with the employers in something like this.

If you can't afford to have a baby, don't have one.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
It's simple dollars. Why hire a pregnant woman who is going to take PAID maternity leave in a few months?
You'll just have to hire someone to take her place.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
Wow.. so everyone so far seems to support the employers on this one? No argument posed for the pregnant woman?

Kwayera said:
Not all pregnancies are planned though. In circumstances like these, I can understand the urgency (or desperation) to find work quickly before the debts and living costs get too big.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Kwayera said:
I feel for the women, but I'd side with the employers in something like this.

A complex issue. From the government's point of view, if the fertility rate keeps dropping, we'll face the same pressing economic and social concerns as places like Europe, Russia, China and Japan w.r.t. an ageing population. This certainly effects us because if it causes economic and social problems, it'll do so in the next 20 to 40 years - certainly well within our life-time.

I'm certainly a proponent of responsible parenting, though.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
It is completely unreasonable to expect an employer to hire a ANYONE who is going to be wanting to take extended leave only a few months after they have started work.

If the purpose of anti-discrimination laws is equality then lets fucking have some. No one would hire me if I told them that I would be taking extended leave 2 months after they hired me, so they shouldn't have to hire a pregnant woman either.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
RogueAcademic said:
Wow.. so everyone so far seems to support the employers on this one? No argument posed for the pregnant woman?
what issue is it of the employer?
why should they take the morally correct option which will cost their business money?

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Exactly. And I don't think it's morally correct at all - if an employer hires someone and then has to pay for work they don't do on maternity leave, it may stress the positions of their other employees, especially in small businesses.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
mr_brightside said:
what issue is it of the employer?
why should they take the morally correct option which will cost their business money?
I'm on the employers' side on this. But I am willing to hear the other side of the argument, if any.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
mr_brightside said:

While we're on the topic of 'morally correct' options, a vast majority of business do give back to the community as part of a 'morally correct' initiative. That might include volunteer / pro bono programs, aid programs, secondment arrangements, money put into schools, homeless shelters etc.

Technically speaking, these initiatives cost their business money too and it certainly isn't necessary from a statutory standpoint.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
Edward Teach said:
imagine if u hired a pregnant woman and she quit at the end of her paid maternity leave, lol
It has happened...kind of. That was one of the points I brought up.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
RogueAcademic said:
While we're on the topic of 'morally correct' options, a vast majority of business do give back to the community as part of a 'morally correct' initiative. That might include volunteer / pro bono programs, aid programs, secondment arrangements, money put into schools, homeless shelters etc.

Technically speaking, these initiatives cost their business money too and it certainly isn't necessary from a statutory standpoint.
The business more than makes back the money spent on charity and community initiatives, through increased community awareness, free marketing, the positive association created with the brand image etc...

With modern consumer awareness of corporate behaviour it is absolutely necessary for any major company to run these intiatives.

A business will behave morally as far as it is beneficial economically. Running intiatives that genuinely cost the business money would actually be the imoral thing to do, as the business greatest and only real moral responsibility is to look after it's shareholders.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
Graney said:
The business more than makes back the money spent on charity and community initiatives, through increased community awareness, free marketing, the positive association created with the brand image etc...

With modern consumer awareness of corporate behaviour it is absolutely necessary for any major company to run these intiatives.

A business will behave morally as far as it is beneficial economically. Running intiatives that genuinely cost the business money would actually be the imoral thing to do, as the business greatest and only real moral responsibility is to look after it's shareholders.
I'm aware of everything said. Would there not be something in it for a company, in this case, to stand up and say 'Yes, we would be proud to be the company that will disregard all forms of prejudice against all class of persons, pregnant or not'?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
RogueAcademic said:

Not all pregnancies are planned though. In circumstances like these, I can understand the urgency (or desperation) to find work quickly before the debts and living costs get too big.
That's what abortions are for, son.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
RogueAcademic said:
I'm aware of everything said. Would there not be something in it for a company, in this case, to stand up and say 'Yes, we would be proud to be the company that will disregard all forms of prejudice against all class of persons, pregnant or not'?
That would only increase the companies image among a few on the extreme left. The extreme left is generally not a desired demographic for a company.

As shown in this thread, most people would just think the business is retarded for making such a backwards move.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)