Prelim Chem Thread (1 Viewer)

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Do we have to have already studied the modules, 'water' and ' energy' to begin making notes for yr 12 chem? Are there things that I have to had memorized and studied from these topics for yr 12 content to make sense?
Those modules are largely irrelevant for HSC Chemistry content. Some things are useful though, like polar bonds etc.

drsabz101

HSC
N/A
So do I begin now. I am trying to make my life a whole lot easier in saying that this yr term 4 I start yr 12 anyways so what are your thoughts. Has anybody tried so out of experience?

- All are the yr 12 topics assessable in the hsc?

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC
Prelim turning into assumed knowledge means that they will strictly be REFERRED BACK TO.

e.g. n=m/M is unavoidable. Polarity and intermolecular forces explain stuff ethanol does.

But you don't get reexamined on it so you shouldn't be stressing over this.

Shuuya

HSC
So do I begin now. I am trying to make my life a whole lot easier in saying that this yr term 4 I start yr 12 anyways so what are your thoughts. Has anybody tried so out of experience?

I would probably suggest finishing the prelim topics first and then starting on HSC because you'll have to do prelim exams first haha

And yep, all the year 12 topics are assessable, and will be assessed

drsabz101

HSC
N/A
Okay -does that include memorizing all the pracs for yr11 as well? Is it in yr 11 that we have an in class exam, where the teachers tell us to conduct an experiment that we have done in class?

Shuuya

HSC
Yeah you should look at the pracs carefully because they can ask questions based on pracs (I had to write the method for one of the experiments in the prelim yearly, and they might ask questions about reliability/validity etc). But if you're asking if those pracs are relevant for year 12 exams, then not really. And yep, you should have a prac exam sometime during the year 11, and then another one in year 12 (that's what I've had anyway)

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Depends how good your memory is. If you're relatively fast at rote learning things or have a photographic memory, there's probably no need to start memorising HSC Chemistry stuff heaps early.

drsabz101

HSC
N/A
Haha no way . I have to write things out a thousand times on a daily basis to remember things

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
The main thing that you should take away from prelim is not the content but the skills. The content is useless but the skills are replicated. Learn to do mole calculation, balancing equations, redox reactions. Other skills such as graphing and basic science skills (assessing the variables, answering assess, discuss, explain question)
It gives you a huge advantage whilst your peers are relearning it and you've moved on to harder questions

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
You need to be strong in Chemical equations (as well as states) and Moles because they are very important in chemistry

drsabz101

HSC
N/A
Thankyou everyone for the advice :) I really appreciate it all

leehuan

HSC
Q: Magnesium is obviously more reactive than copper. A magnesium strip is added to a solution of cupric sulfate (i.e. Copper (II) sulfate). Write the full equation of this reaction, the corresponding net ionic equation and relevant half equations. State any changes in oxidation states.

[Do this one first then I'll give you an HSC battery cell one]

drsabz101

HSC
N/A
Okay so the full equation is :

Mg (s) + CuSO4 (aq)-> MgSO4 (aq)+ Cu(s)

Half equations:

Mg(s) -> Mg 2+ (aq) + 2e-

I am quite confused about how to do the half equation for the CuSO4 tho

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC
Yep. I'll look for the battery question later though

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)