Prelim course effect on ATAR (1 Viewer)

altobang

HSC
how does the prelim course affect my Atar? rank? marks?, etc

dan2452

HSC
I think that for some subjects it counts for 30% of your HSC marks (the content is 30% from the prelim). Mainly its just the study habits and knowledge you built up in the prelim.

Its a "practice year for HSC"

shuttle_bus5

HSC
I think that for some subjects it counts for 30% of your HSC marks (the content is 30% from the prelim). Mainly its just the study habits and knowledge you built up in the prelim.

Please don't speak again.
Prelim means nothing.

pman

Banned
HSC
your prelim mark does not count although up to 30% of the course can be tested in the hSC for some subjects (e.g, maths)

dan2452

HSC
Exactly my point. The things you learn in prelim (e.g. in maths, all of the things you learn in prelim are used in HSC) influence the mark in the HSC

CecilyMare

HSC
Exactly my point. The things you learn in prelim (e.g. in maths, all of the things you learn in prelim are used in HSC) influence the mark in the HSC
That was not your point. Your point was that it counted for 30% or some shit. Don't mislead people.

shuttle_bus5

HSC
Prelim marks and ranks mean nothing. I could come last in every subject in prelim and it will have no affect on my atar.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Ranks + mark wise, prelim does not affect your HSC at all.

You should have a decent knowledge of the prelim course (specially for maths) though because up to 30% can be tested.

Oladele

HSC
Thank God!

I was deafly afraid to procrastinate but now you have made it easier for me to breathe!

ilikebeeef

HSC

No. Prelims does not count towards the HSC in terms of marks and ranks, as Anna said.

It is a practice year for study habits (just like any other high school year prior to Year 12), but the HSC course contains a lot more new material than you think when compared to Prelims. One could do poorly in Prelims and ace the HSC, or vice versa.

Furthermore, study habits continue to develop through the HSC, it does not stop at the end of Prelims as your post suggests.

Prelim marks and ranks mean nothing. I could come last in every subject in prelim and it will have no affect on my atar.
That was not your point. Your point was that it counted for 30% or some shit. Don't mislead people.
+1.

Last edited:

kyokaku92

HSC
Simple, year 11 is the last time you can legally bludge without getting screwed over... enter yr 12 and its a whole new ball game :pirate:

Sculzyoner

HSC
Simple, year 11 is the last time you can legally bludge without getting screwed over... enter yr 12 and its a whole new ball game :pirate:
That's a bad mindset to get into... Although year 11 doesn't count towards your ATAR, i'll put my house on someone getting a better ATAR if they didn't "bludge" in year 11.

santiii

HSC
There are very few that do count but they are TVET. For example over 50% of your HSC mark is made up in Preliminary year for TVET Accounting but thats because its special :)

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
That's a bad mindset to get into... Although year 11 doesn't count towards your ATAR, i'll put my house on someone getting a better ATAR if they didn't "bludge" in year 11.
That must be hypothetical as you can't validly test that theory :p

HSC
You CAN bludge through SOME parts of year 11 without risking too much on your ATAR

e.g. in science subjects, if you bother to find out what's actually in the HSC syllabus versus in the prelim syllabus, youll realise some things never overlap. E.g. in prelim physics we have an entire module on circuits (calculating resistance in series / parallel, safety in household devices etc) and also in Moving About (vectors n shit) - that shit never comes up in the HSC Physics course. Instead, we have magnetic fields / forces / right hand rule / motors / projectile motion etc

s2 SEductive

MostDefinitelyIncredible
HSC
Lol absolutely nothing !

u know what my Bio teacher said
she said if ur top of the class good on u but no effect on hsc :p

dan2452

HSC
Note the brackets in my post - For some subjects the content is 30% from year 11. I included that for a reason :angry:

I'm treating year 11 as a practice year for HSC, but I still bludge a bit :p

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Just study and work hard for BOTH of your senior years. Then you don't have to worry about whether you think Preliminary will screw your life or not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)