Preliminary Chemistry (1 Viewer)

kara2006

HSC
On the following dot points our class has to complete extended responses as a test:
- the role of photosynthesis in transforming light energy to chemical energy and the raw materials for this process
- The role of the production of high energy carbohydrates from carbon dioxide as the important step in the stabilisation of the sun's energy in a form that can be used by animals aswell as plants
- identify the photosynthetic origins of the chemical energy in coal, petroeum, and natural gas
- The range of compounds found in either coal, petroleum or natural gas and the location of deposits of the selected fossil fuel in Australia
- Positive and negative impacts of the mining or use of this fuel on society and the environment
As these are syllabus dot points i was wondering if any one had summarys of these already as it would be much appreiciated... Thx

kathrynso

HSC
Lol, I don't remember any of that..... Although it doesn't look familiar to me, it reminds me of biology though. What Modules are they from?

Point 3 - The photosynthetic origins are the producers. (I hope this is right, we are still doing the Energy module now) Since the fossil fuels use to be once living organisms, mainly plants, they phtosynthesise to produce engery.

Point 4 - Petroleum - from Bass Strait, Natural gas - Cooper Basin in SA and Carnarvon Basin in WA. Black coal fron fields of QLD and NSW.

kara2006

HSC
Hey thanks 4 that info but im not really sure what modules there from maybe the energy 1?

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
I think it's the first section of the Energy module :)

Basically, phytosynthesis is the complex set of reaction that transforms the sun's light energy into stored chemical energy, which may be released upon combustion of the fossil fuels. The overall reaction of photosynthesis is:
6CO2 (g) + 6H2O(l) --> C6H12O6 (aq) + 6O2 (g)

And respiration is just the reversal of above, where energy is released from the glucose and oxygen.

See, glucose is a carbohydrate, and photosynthesis thus transforms the sun's light energy into something animals and plants may consume (where the animal gets stored energy by eating plants), whereas the light energy directly from the sun itself could not be so easily used. And you know, fossil fuels result from half-decayed bodies of plants that have undergone high pressure and heat due to geological processes over time, therefore the energy can be released upon combustion of fossil fuels, as this energy has come from light energy of the sun transformed and stored by the process of phytosynthesis, when the plants were alive.

The range of compounds found in either coal, petroleum or natural gas are stuff like gas fuels, petrol, kerosene, diesel oil, bitumen, and some parafin waxes just to name a few. You can research this in more detail over the Internet yourself, as well as for the location of deposits of the selected fossil fuel in Australia .

As for the positive and negative impacts of the mining or use of this fuel on society and the environment, just mention things like exploiting fossil fuels too much will drain the sources as it's non-renewable, and combustion of fossil fuels can release harmful chemicals such as carbon dioxide (in greenhouse effect and such), carbon monoxide, sulfides, small particles that may suspend in air (from incomplete combustion) to the environment, but fossil fuels is a convenient source of energy as you just have to, well, light it in a supply of oxygen. :p And mining fules can impact on the surroundings as the site is never really restored to its previous state, after mining, and this can disrupt the lives of locals (whether it be animals, plants, or, residents :p).

Have you looked in the resources section of BoS yet? Surely there will be some useful notes in there for you too :)

o.bi.sess

You feeling lucky, punk?
HSC
o_O Woah airie, you still remember? The chem test was TWO weeks ago....

kara2006: airie pretty much covered everything in the dot points. The positive aspects of the mining/use of fuel include things like creating jobs for the local community and contributing to the country's economy, etc. etc. Also it allows for a more comfortable lifestyle (think cars, machinery, electricity).

Riviet

HSC
N/A
That's something that can happen when you don't cram for an exam. ;)

Riviet

HSC
N/A
o.bi.sess said:
Lol. Then it's obvious how I study for my tests, isn't it?
Not at all. :p Your methods of study can't be determined from a couple of your posts in this thread. :)

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
airie said:
I think it's the first section of the Energy module :)

Basically, phytosynthesis is the complex set of reaction that transforms the sun's light energy into stored chemical energy, which may be released upon combustion of the fossil fuels. The overall reaction of photosynthesis is:
6CO2 (g) + 6H2O(l) --> C6H12O6 (aq) + 6O2 (g)

And respiration is just the reversal of above, where energy is released from the glucose and oxygen.

See, glucose is a carbohydrate, and photosynthesis thus transforms the sun's light energy into something animals and plants may consume (where the animal gets stored energy by eating plants), whereas the light energy directly from the sun itself could not be so easily used. And you know, fossil fuels result from half-decayed bodies of plants that have undergone high pressure and heat due to geological processes over time, therefore the energy can be released upon combustion of fossil fuels, as this energy has come from light energy of the sun transformed and stored by the process of phytosynthesis, when the plants were alive.

The range of compounds found in either coal, petroleum or natural gas are stuff like gas fuels, petrol, kerosene, diesel oil, bitumen, and some parafin waxes just to name a few. You can research this in more detail over the Internet yourself, as well as for the location of deposits of the selected fossil fuel in Australia .

As for the positive and negative impacts of the mining or use of this fuel on society and the environment, just mention things like exploiting fossil fuels too much will drain the sources as it's non-renewable, and combustion of fossil fuels can release harmful chemicals such as carbon dioxide (in greenhouse effect and such), carbon monoxide, sulfides, small particles that may suspend in air (from incomplete combustion) to the environment, but fossil fuels is a convenient source of energy as you just have to, well, light it in a supply of oxygen. :p And mining fules can impact on the surroundings as the site is never really restored to its previous state, after mining, and this can disrupt the lives of locals (whether it be animals, plants, or, residents :p).

Have you looked in the resources section of BoS yet? Surely there will be some useful notes in there for you too :)
damn, well said .... but hey, do you know if photosynthesis is an exothermic reaction or endothermic reaction ?

o.bi.sess said:
o_O Woah airie, you still remember? The chem test was TWO weeks ago....

kara2006: airie pretty much covered everything in the dot points. The positive aspects of the mining/use of fuel include things like creating jobs for the local community and contributing to the country's economy, etc. etc. Also it allows for a more comfortable lifestyle (think cars, machinery, electricity).
Mine happens to be next week, so airies through explanation may come useful, but we won't get asked directly or even get asked something as lengthy as that ... but i could use her knowledge of physics, as i can confirm i will be directly asked dot poitns from the syllabus ...

Last edited:

airie

HSC
f3nr15 said:
damn, well said .... but hey, do you know if photosynthesis is an exothermic reaction or endothermic reaction ?
Endothermic, of course, since the sun's energy is being transformed and stored, which will be released later in the exothermic reactions of respiration or combustion :)

f3nr15 said:
but i could use her knowledge of physics
Heh...you probably wouldn't say so if you know how badly I went for the physics test :eek: Good luck for your exams though! :D

o.bi.sess

You feeling lucky, punk?
HSC
airie said:
Heh...you probably wouldn't say so if you know how badly I went for the physics test :eek: Good luck for your exams though! :D
airie, that was one test out of the three. I sincerely doubt that that one test is going to make too much of an impact on your mark.

airie

HSC
o.bi.sess said:
airie, that was one test out of the three. I sincerely doubt that that one test is going to make too much of an impact on your mark.
Not when it counts for 30%, and when you know that another 30% assessment is gonna be even worse :(

o.bi.sess

You feeling lucky, punk?
HSC
SoulSearcher said:
It's only english :eek:
:D Yeah, it's only English, the only compulsory subject of the HSC. Who cares if you fail?

You dropping English Ext or keeping with it? I'm dropping next year so I really don't care about what I get for it in the test. The english staff half expects us to fail anyway. They're so supportive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)