Preliminary notes (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

L_RES88

HSC
N/A
My yearly's are on in 4 weeks, so does anyone have any summary notes they could possible post?

Thanks

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
You mean the ones you were meant to be making throughout the year? :p

L_RES88

HSC
N/A
lol yeah, I think at other school's they probably go through the textbook abit better but I find it just abit difficult when one lesson we've started a new chapter say 6.1 than the next day the teacher thinks we've covered the whole thing and it's time to do the chapter summary.

I've had plenty of trouble with the course aswell :(

raymes

HSC
if you had trouble with the prelim course, have fun with the HSC. if yor not enjoying it, consider dropping because it only gets harder IMO

DoubleD

....Theonly One
HSC
just grab your SDD book one weekend, or in the arvo, and start reading and taking notes as you read through.. not much else you can do now..
you should've been understnading it throughout the year.. currently we've got 1/2 a book to gothrough in 4weeks.. however we managed to knock over about 1/4 of that in a single lesson due to what it contained..

as from what i've been told it just gets harder, so al the practice you should've got this year wouold be helping you next year...

L_RES88

HSC
N/A
Ok so i've started taking notes, just finished ergonomics and intellectual property(Ch.1), how would I efficiently study on each chapter... because i'll end up with a mini text book when my exams come around.

P.S i cant drop it because the other subject I am dropping is because it's too much work and i'm failing by a considerable amount, atleast with SDD I passed the group assesment with near full mark.

zoodboog

Fraud
HSC
N/A
raymes said:
if you had trouble with the prelim course, have fun with the HSC. if yor not enjoying it, consider dropping because it only gets harder IMO
the hsc course is exactly the same though... some schools are even skipping the year 11 part I think

anyway, just look at the chapter summaries. if your teacher is setting weeklish questions (do part 1, 2 and 4 on page x) then you shoulnd't need to make your own summaries.

raymes

HSC
zoodboog said:
the hsc course is exactly the same though... some schools are even skipping the year 11 part I think

anyway, just look at the chapter summaries. if your teacher is setting weeklish questions (do part 1, 2 and 4 on page x) then you shoulnd't need to make your own summaries.
nah its definately not exactly the same
some schools may skip the prelim course however this is against BOS regulations, as it would clearly give those students an advantage
however in retrospect it probably isnt any harder...only in that you need to know your work much better in order to do well in the HSC. Also, i dont know if this applies to everyone, but in the prelim course we barely did any algorithm work (had to know 1 or 2 standard algorithms) but this year we've done heaps and that, in my opinion, is the most challenging part of the course.

but nonetheless, what i was more implying with regard to dropping was that if you're not doing well in the preliminary course or not enjoying then theres no point continuing in the HSC course but as we've just heard that not an option ;)

L_RES88

HSC
N/A
We've done a fair bit of work on algorithm's and i'm not too bad at it.
I'm currently summarising chapters and doing the exercises, does anyone think that is enough or what else should i do?(bare in mind it's taking quite a while!)

hornetfig

HSC
raymes said:
nah its definately not exactly the same
Sure it is, just worded differently or with emphasis on different things. Excepting your option topic, is there anything entirely new you're doing in Year 12 over Year 11?

raymes

HSC
hornetfig said:
Sure it is, just worded differently or with emphasis on different things. Excepting your option topic, is there anything entirely new you're doing in Year 12 over Year 11?
thats the whole point. in the hsc course, you go in to a whole lot more depth in areas. hence its definately not exactly the same. the whole point of the preliminary course in every subject is to give base knowledge which is built upon in the hsc course.

i wasnt making the point that the HSC isnt similar, it is, but as you said, there is emphasis on different things and failure to complete the preliminary course is against BOS regulations. doing the hsc course in year 11 will certainly not complete all the preliminary outcomes - that is what i was getting at

J0n

N/A
HSC
Is it worth studying the stuff in prelim for the HSC (in addition to HSC course of course)? Will there be much stuff from prelim?
Cause my teacher said that last year they had to convert binary hex or something, so the software deveopers' view of the hardware people were advantaged, although it was assumed knowledge from the prelim... I mean that is easy, but do we have to know the prelim in much detail, or is it enough to just know the HSC course well?

sunny

meh.
HSC
Prelim is assumed knowledge - so yes you should already know it anyway. The majority of the prelim course is the development cycle anyway, so there isn't really too much to learn even if you've forgotten what prelim is about.

hornetfig

HSC
raymes said:
thats the whole point. in the hsc course, you go in to a whole lot more depth in areas. hence its definately not exactly the same.
Well if you see it that way it begs the question why not just do it once through at half the speed? or even once through at regular speed?

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
The Mat®ix Ordinates: Sector 1-337- Statu
HSC
yea also know your pseudocode and flow charts along with dimple data types and the development process. Most sections I found in the half yearly were general knowledge with lots of short answer multiple choice type questions. So long as u get a feel for the subject and know about computers outside of the programming area you will pass, if ur lookin for top marks u should have thought about that earlier.

raymes

HSC
hornetfig said:
Well if you see it that way it begs the question why not just do it once through at half the speed? or even once through at regular speed?
im not saying you couldnt. from the very start i was merely stating the prelim course isnt exactly the same as the HSC and that by not completing the prelim course you're not satisfying the board's requirements. nothing else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)