Preliminary QAT 2008 (1 Viewer)

totallybord

HSC
Hi,

Just wanted to clarify and get someone to double check whether I am right or not.

QAT 2008 Preliminary course paper - I cannot seem to find it again but I have printed it out =/

There is a graph f'(x) Untitled.png

The question is write down the value of x for which y=f(x) is increasing. I would say that it would be x<2 and 2<x<4
but somehow the answer says x>4 and x<2?

Why
what am i missing

Attachments

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
This is a gradient graph. When it is above the x axis, the gradient is positive. Therefore increasing from 2 to 4.

He-Mann

Vexed?
HSC
N/A
This is a gradient graph. When it is above the x axis, the gradient is positive. Therefore increasing from 2 to 4.
By your (correct) reasoning, your conclusion should be x < 4 (x =/= 2).

Not sure why the answer said x > 4 because those yield a negative gradient. i.e. decreasing.

Last edited:

Lugia101101

HSC
I know that all of the teachers for maths I've had in the past have said that the markers for the HSC don't care whether you include the roots of the derivative function. Although, in this case, because the graph meets the axis, being a stationary point, I imagine they'd want x < 2, 2 < x < 4.

He-Mann

Vexed?
HSC
N/A
I know that all of the teachers for maths I've had in the past have said that the markers for the HSC don't care whether you include the roots of the derivative function. Although, in this case, because the graph meets the axis, being a stationary point, I imagine they'd want x < 2, 2 < x < 4.
Why would you neglect the interval of 2 < x < 4 which shows that the curve is increasing?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)