Previous Question Dilemmas (1 Viewer)

emeraldprincess

HSC
Hi!
I was just reading the HSC paper from last year, and found a question that i needed to get clarification on.
'Briefly describe the religious beliefs of Hatshepsut.'
I was just wondering if Hatshepsut had different beliefs to the rest of Egypt, or if its just like all the Cult of AMun stuff....
Thanks!

Red-Wine-&-Joni

HSC
No, you're correct, it is just the "Cult of Amun stuff", but you need to be clear about why she devoted her time/effort to this cult, and what she gained from it.

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
Hmm would you add in the fact that she did actually restore temples of other cults as well? Showing she wasn't purely biased in favour of Amun.

X

xeuyrawp

There's also the point that she was one of the first pharaohs to hint at personal piety. Essentially, personal piety was an important force that developed much later in the Ramesside period, and was a turn in the religion which allowed 1. a person to directly contact a specific god, and 2. the god to come back to the person and directly do something. It's hard to identify in the texts until you have some practice, but in relation to Hatshepsut, here are the main elements:

1. The elective oracle which the Dier el-Bahari Chapelle Rouge inscriptions represent as an unprecedented event,
2. The Punt oracle, manifesting a divine intention which is not confined to initial installation (ie: creation),
3. The idea of 'divine command', as it occurs in the Speos Artemidos inscriptions: The Hyksos ruled 'without Re' and Re reciprocially 'did not act by divine order' until her own reign',
4. The pictorial cycle of the miraculous birth, which, although in keeping with the classical dogmatic construct of, say papyrus Westcar, expresses direct intervention by one specific god.

In the Chapelle Rouge, she also coins an epithet for a god which expresses the new idea of divine intention in the most concise way: 'he who plans everything existent' (kAi.w n.tt nb.t / kaiu netet nebet):

'Oh my father who plans all that exists,
what is it that you want to come about?
I shall do it according to your order!'

-- ie, 'what do you want? I'll do it'.

Shamelessly summarised of: Jan Assmann, 'State and Religion in the New Kingdom', in J. P. Allen (ed.), Religion and Philosophy in Ancient Egypt: Yale Egyptological Studies 3, (New Haven, 1989) :)

So whilst she tried to be a traditionalist and not draw attention to herself (by usually using the masculine pronoun 'I', representing herself as a man, doing traditional stuff), she either intentionally changed the religion, or just showed us that it was changing.

Personally, I think that she had a lot to live up to, so to speak, and thus enabled direct contact with the gods as a new form of legitimacy proof.

X

xeuyrawp

emeraldprincess said:
thankyou all for that......it really did help!
Glad we could help.

You just need to remember that a Pharaoh was always trying to balance being an awesome Pharaoh ('Behold: Never had the like occurred!') with not being too different. Being a king meant that they wanted to establish their name by doing something important, but they similarly had to work within the traditional framework that they could work within.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)