Primary research (1 Viewer)

cmckie

HSC
Hey everyone!
Was just wondering should primary reserach conducted for the PIP be used in the first chapter?
My first chapter will be mostly inclusive of definitions and giving abit of background/history on my topic, therefore it will all be secondary research, but should I also incorperate some primary research findings into this aswell?
Thanks for your help!!:)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
It would be best that you include primary research there as well. The markers are looking for a more "integrative approach" to your PIP. They DO NOT want to see a chapter by chapter recitation of each aspect of your methodology and approach. These PIPs will score NO MORE than a Band 3.

Your current approach is good in that your first chapter contains background information of your topic, which is made up of secondary research. But you can also include statistics from your primary research to support your secondary finding. e.g. if you say "this number of people suggest that teenagers are more likely to smoke in this decade compared to past decades (from an article)", then you can immediately support this claim by using what you have found through your questionnaires (quantitative data) and say "my research also indicate this, as 30% of the teenage participants smokes, compared to only 10% for participants who were teenagers in past decades".

This will show the markers that you have integrated all aspects and ideas of your research to form a coherent piece, rather than separating your PIP with one section on primary research, one section on secondary research.

cmckie

HSC
Thank you so much for your help!
I understand the important of synthesising both primary and secondary research throughout my piece, however with the structure and infomation within my chapter 1 at the moment, there isnt a real need to bring in statistics from survey results at this stage, and im not sure what primary research I could conduct that would be relevent to the definitions and background info within the chapter so far.
Maybe I could include quotations from interviews conducted that support my secondary research?

P.S- I'd just like to say how great it is to have so many people on these boards so willing to help and offer infomation!:) :) :)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Quotes would be a good idea. Remember you are seen as a "researcher". You want to bring new information to the current topic. Don't give a whole 10 pages of background infromation and bore the markers to death! :D

What they are looking for is not a "review" of your topic, but your perspective on the topic and any thing significant that you have found. :)

cmckie

HSC
hahahaha, thanks, I will try not to bore them too much!!
It is a very good point, to try and make the PIP 'my own' and put my own insights into things. Ive just been doing alot of secondary research and I guess ive been so caught up in that, that I have forgotten that Im not writing an essay on my topic!!
By the way my focus is ' The effect of classical music on children's learning and creativity,'
Do you think that will be okay?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Yes, sounds like an interesting and refreshing topic. You need to make "classical music" interesting for markers who may not be familiar with classical music. And more importantly, make clear connection with classical music and how it actually influence children's learning and creativity. i.e. what measure of learning? Academic results? sporting achievements? And creativity - how do you measure that? Through painting and drawing? Or to write creativity through story telling?

michelleanne

HSC
Hi!

Ironically it was only last week that I was reading an article about babies listening to Mozart in Slovakia. I can't temember which newspaper I read the article in but have found one for you in the link below.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/08/0812_050812_babymusic.html

This article is dated 2005 but I read about it only last week. Apparantly its a 4 year study. Also getty images has heaps of pics realted to this article. they are quite amusing!

Search for 'Kosice-Saca' at the following site in the search field http://editorial.gettyimages.com/ms_gins/source/home/home.aspx?pg=1

I would be looking at Music Therapy as well as it is connected to your topic. Try contacting the Australian music therapy association- they have their own jounral as well. http://www.austmta.org.au/

Have a good look around this site- it will offer some useful contacts for you.

Another link that you may find interesting http://www.nordoff-robbins.com.au/

Another suggestion would be to look at community centres and or preeschools/chilld care centres that offer some kind of music classes. I used to work at the community centre where we offered music and movement classes for children- from babies right through to 5 year olds and the general informal/anecdotal feedback from parents was that the music class was positive for the child and they notices a significant difference.

You may also want to contact the NSW Gifted and talented association- as they may be able to help you as well. http://www.nswagtc.org.au/

Anyway, I hope I have helped in some way....

cmckie

HSC
Survivor39 said:
You need to make "classical music" interesting for markers who may not be familiar with classical music. And more importantly, make clear connection with classical music and how it actually influence children's learning and creativity. i.e. what measure of learning? Academic results? sporting achievements? And creativity - how do you measure that? Through painting and drawing? Or to write creativity through story telling?
Thank you again for all your help!
Do you suggest that I am very specific with how classical music influences children's learning ie- academic results, and musical ability ( have dedided to change 'creativity' to 'musical ability' ) in chapter one? Or should I leave chapter one to give a broader overview, and be specific on what particular aspect classical music does influence as I get into further chapters where I get very into depth with it?
Also, VERY interesting suggestion on making classical music interesting for markers! I wouldnt have ever thought of that myself! Ho do you think I could go about achieving this?
Through the tone of the piece and the emphasis placed on the many different uses for classical music other then the conventional?:)

cmckie

HSC
michelleanne said:
I used to work at the community centre where we offered music and movement classes for children- from babies right through to 5 year olds and the general informal/anecdotal feedback from parents was that the music class was positive for the child and they notices a significant difference.

WOW thank you michelleanne, for all those wonderful links, and ideas!!:) It definatley helped!!
It is interesting that you mention that the parents of these children could notice a significant difference! Was there any indictaion at all as to excatly what difference the music class made to the children?

michelleanne

HSC
cmckie said:
michelleanne said:
I used to work at the community centre where we offered music and movement classes for children- from babies right through to 5 year olds and the general informal/anecdotal feedback from parents was that the music class was positive for the child and they notices a significant difference.

WOW thank you michelleanne, for all those wonderful links, and ideas!!:) It definatley helped!!
It is interesting that you mention that the parents of these children could notice a significant difference! Was there any indictaion at all as to excatly what difference the music class made to the children?
Hi!

Have you decided what your cross cultural component is going to be? I

Personally, I think music classes for children are great.. some mothers said that their childs temperment was so relaxed after their class and lasted all day...... and when the teacher brought in drums etc. the kids were so facinated..........

you are so early in the PIP processs.... that you may not want to limit yourself to classical music only or just academic/music ability............... at.......... could limit your quantitative possibilities...... relate questions to mile stones that children reach......

You also need to think about ages... define your age group...... abies - preeschool, school age children etc.

If you need further help, especially my experience at the comm centre... jsut send me an email at m.baldacchino@uws.edu.au

cmckie

HSC
Thanks heaps!
Yeah, I have been thinking about my topic choice abit, however, the reason I decided to choose to focus on classical music, is because it narrows down the field about other then just music in general, and is abit more specific. I also originally when I started, had a big list of things I wanted to look at like the mozart effect, child prodegies, musical hullucinations, music being played to babies in the womb, the suzuki method of learning an instrument, perfect pitch etc etc the list goes on!!! However, becasue we only have a limited word limit, I had to narrow my research areas down, hence deciding to look at 'impact on learning and musical ability'
In this I am going to cover - the mozart effect, music therapy, and early childhood music classes - for 'learning' ( physical, emotional and intellectual)
and also for musical ability - the suzuki method of learning an instrument, the development of perfect pitch in young children, and also possibly bring in early childhood music again.
Do you still think that this is narrowing it down to much?:)
Thanks, will write to you very soon about your experiences!!

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
I think it's perfectly fine. Hopefully you'll find some good information and incorporate that into your PIP to generate a good conclusion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)