primary research (1 Viewer)

g-bee

HSC
So I want my PIP research to focus on the influence of friends vs. the influence of family over adolescents across different generations. The research will also look into the reasons for these changes.

Is it a good idea to do several focus groups with different generations and a survey for my primary research?

Fluorescent

Banned
HSC
Absolutely. I do not see why not :D
Getting people together for focus groups may be hard though so make sure you do it early

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Just a bit of advice for focus groups, prepare, prepare, prepare! They can fall to shit so easily if you don't direct the discussion the way that you want it to go. If it goes into different, interesting tangents, let it but know when its time to snap the discussion back on track. DON'T just sit there and let the focus group 'happen by itself'- it wont and you wont get the information you need.

So basically you need to ensure YOU have the authority over the discussion, ask questions, delve into things, have a direction. Make sure you record the focus group as well. Theres a great program on SBS called Insight that i highly recommend you watch, it gives a good example of how a successful focus group should be run and directed. Heres a link to a small section, but i recommend you watch a full episode.
YouTube - SBS Insight Middle Eastern Youths in Sydney Australia Part4

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)